Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] FYB-SG Singapore's First Bitcoin Exchange - page 4. (Read 15896 times)

Activity: 150
Merit: 100
https://www.fybse.se/

Congrats on your expansion! Cheesy Cheesy

Thanks.
Its actually a franchise agreement, im not handling the running and day to day operations.
Activity: 202
https://www.fybse.se/

Congrats on your expansion! Cheesy Cheesy
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Ya... unless there is a huge demand if not not justifiable...
Anyway chance you'll be implementing LTC exchange?  Grin Grin

No plans on LTC.
BTC interest in SG is already almost non-existent.
And since you can move LTC for very little cost globally, there is no value in having a local LTC exchange.
Activity: 202
Anyway chance you'll be implementing LTC exchange?  Grin Grin
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002
The DHS may very well drive this business out of the US, to everyone's disadvantage.  S'pore should step up, as should Hong Hong.

A Singapore government body is doing something on this line. I'm privy to it but I cannot disclose anything as there's a NDA involved.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Bitcoin wasn't designed to replace gold; it was designed to replace fiat currencies.  There is a marked distinction.  In the long term, bitcoin should stand on its own, but in the short term -- during the transition period -- bitcoin will  be attached to a known value, such as gold, whether you like it or not.  It's the market at work.  Today, it is attached to myriad fiat currencies.  This works, for now.  But it cannot last.

I think you are confusing backing and measuring(or what you call attached).

Bitcoin is measured in dollars as is gold and everything else out there.
People measure the value of things by using the money they are accustomed to. When you go overseas to say UK, you will in the back of your head convert the GBP prices to SGD because that is what you are used to measuring in. That does not mean GBP or the stuff you buy is BACKING your SGD. A backing is a promise to exchange at a fixed exchange rate.

I admit to a poor choice of words.  I should have said "measured" instead of "attached".  But, so what?  Would it be a bad thing if, during the transition, bitcoin was actually BACKED by gold?  Gold has a very long history, and it is not something that can be easily dismissed.  Bitcoin makes the movement of money convenient; gold gives bitcoin respect (is that the correct word?).  Unlike fiat.

Personally i don't see the need for Bitcoin to be backed by anything. It's attributes make it an asset class capable of standing on its own. In case you missed it, the adoption in the past 4 years has occurred based on its own merits, not by anyone backing it or forcing it. Bitcoin as money has attributes superior to gold although Gold has 5000 years of history on its side.

Nagato, thanks for setting up the exchange in Singapore, when I am back in Singapore, first thing I am going to do is to open an account and verified with FYB-SG.   Don't just go for SG, make Singapore the financial hub for Bitcoins, steady lah!
I have done this -- i.e., I have opened a bank account in S'pore.  But to deal with FYB in amounts exceeding 1000 SGD you have to get "verified".  The verification process assumes you are a citizen of S'pore, so it fails for me.  So, for now, any transactions I make must be in amounts less than 1000 SGD.  Highly inconvenient, but workable.  S'pore is such a tiny state that one would assume much of their financial dealings are with foreigners, and things like account verification would be automatically tailored to foreigners.  Unfortunately, this appears not to be the case.  At least with respect to FYB.

Actually there is no requirement for you to be Singaporean. I have several users from other countries who have gotten verified without issue. Could you list the problems you are encountering?
You're right -- it doesn't require me to be Singaporean.  I guess the wording on the page led me to believe this.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002
Nagato, thanks for setting up the exchange in Singapore, when I am back in Singapore, first thing I am going to do is to open an account and verified with FYB-SG.   Don't just go for SG, make Singapore the financial hub for Bitcoins, steady lah!
I have done this -- i.e., I have opened a bank account in S'pore.  But to deal with FYB in amounts exceeding 1000 SGD you have to get "verified".  The verification process assumes you are a citizen of S'pore, so it fails for me.  So, for now, any transactions I make must be in amounts less than 1000 SGD.  Highly inconvenient, but workable.  S'pore is such a tiny state that one would assume much of their financial dealings are with foreigners, and things like account verification would be automatically tailored to foreigners.  Unfortunately, this appears not to be the case.  At least with respect to FYB.

Agree, Singapore is such a tiny state and market, but it is better to have full concentration on the local market, raise the awareness and capture the market first before trying to venture overseas and catering to foreigners.  But I guess this will be the path no matter what if you want to have a sizable exchange to compete with Bitstamp and MtGox etc.  Anyway it is a good start.

This is something that my friend will be able to answer by next week. He's a Malaysian working in SG.
We need to drill down to the banks that have this limit. PM me and I will give you my friend's contact info.
Bitcoin wasn't designed to replace gold; it was designed to replace fiat currencies.  There is a marked distinction.  In the long term, bitcoin should stand on its own, but in the short term -- during the transition period -- bitcoin will  be attached to a known value, such as gold, whether you like it or not.  It's the market at work.  Today, it is attached to myriad fiat currencies.  This works, for now.  But it cannot last.

People measure the value of things by using the money they are accustomed to. When you go overseas to say UK, you will in the back of your head convert the GBP prices to SGD because that is what you are used to measuring in. That does not mean GBP or the stuff you buy is BACKING your SGD. A backing is a promise to exchange at a fixed exchange rate.

I admit to a poor choice of words.  I should have said "measured" instead of "attached".  But, so what?  Would it be a bad thing if, during the transition, bitcoin was actually BACKED by gold?  Gold has a very long history, and it is not something that can be easily dismissed.  Bitcoin makes the movement of money convenient; gold gives bitcoin respect (is that the correct word?).  Unlike fiat.

Personally i don't see the need for Bitcoin to be backed by anything. It's attributes make it an asset class capable of standing on its own. In case you missed it, the adoption in the past 4 years has occurred based on its own merits, not by anyone backing it or forcing it. Bitcoin as money has attributes superior to gold although Gold has 5000 years of history on its side.

Nagato, thanks for setting up the exchange in Singapore, when I am back in Singapore, first thing I am going to do is to open an account and verified with FYB-SG.   Don't just go for SG, make Singapore the financial hub for Bitcoins, steady lah!
I have done this -- i.e., I have opened a bank account in S'pore.  But to deal with FYB in amounts exceeding 1000 SGD you have to get "verified".  The verification process assumes you are a citizen of S'pore, so it fails for me.  So, for now, any transactions I make must be in amounts less than 1000 SGD.  Highly inconvenient, but workable.  S'pore is such a tiny state that one would assume much of their financial dealings are with foreigners, and things like account verification would be automatically tailored to foreigners.  Unfortunately, this appears not to be the case.  At least with respect to FYB.

Actually there is no requirement for you to be Singaporean. I have several users from other countries who have gotten verified without issue. Could you list the problems you are encountering?
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
Nagato, thanks for setting up the exchange in Singapore, when I am back in Singapore, first thing I am going to do is to open an account and verified with FYB-SG.   Don't just go for SG, make Singapore the financial hub for Bitcoins, steady lah!
I have done this -- i.e., I have opened a bank account in S'pore.  But to deal with FYB in amounts exceeding 1000 SGD you have to get "verified".  The verification process assumes you are a citizen of S'pore, so it fails for me.  So, for now, any transactions I make must be in amounts less than 1000 SGD.  Highly inconvenient, but workable.  S'pore is such a tiny state that one would assume much of their financial dealings are with foreigners, and things like account verification would be automatically tailored to foreigners.  Unfortunately, this appears not to be the case.  At least with respect to FYB.

Agree, Singapore is such a tiny state and market, but it is better to have full concentration on the local market, raise the awareness and capture the market first before trying to venture overseas and catering to foreigners.  But I guess this will be the path no matter what if you want to have a sizable exchange to compete with Bitstamp and MtGox etc.  Anyway it is a good start.

Ive been thinking of doing this but our banks are too uncompetitive in pricing to allow me to compete with Gox and Bitstamp on pricing. They want 0.25% in commissions per withdrawal + $60-$70 in fees, whereas Gox's bank charges a flat fee per withdrawal.
Bitcoin wasn't designed to replace gold; it was designed to replace fiat currencies.  There is a marked distinction.  In the long term, bitcoin should stand on its own, but in the short term -- during the transition period -- bitcoin will  be attached to a known value, such as gold, whether you like it or not.  It's the market at work.  Today, it is attached to myriad fiat currencies.  This works, for now.  But it cannot last.

Bitcoin wasn't designed to replace gold; it was designed to replace fiat currencies.  There is a marked distinction.  In the long term, bitcoin should stand on its own, but in the short term -- during the transition period -- bitcoin will  be attached to a known value, such as gold, whether you like it or not.  It's the market at work.  Today, it is attached to myriad fiat currencies.  This works, for now.  But it cannot last.

Here'a an article and video about the high-security, high-concept vault in S'pore where Deutsche Bank will store $9 billion of gold:

http://goldsilver.com/video/the-high-security-high-concept-vault-where-deutsche-bank-will-store-9-billion-of-gold/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Gold++Silver+Weekly+6+-+11+-+2013&utm_content=Gold++Silver+Weekly+6+-+11+-+2013+Version+A+CID_61fcd2274e813b7c48d6c34cd0f603f4&utm_source=GoldSilver%20Email%20Marketing&utm_term=read%20more

When the US dollar collapses, perhaps we will see bitcoin backed by gold as the new world currency.

Why the hell would you want to back Bitcoin with what it was designed to replace?
Here'a an article and video about the high-security, high-concept vault in S'pore where Deutsche Bank will store $9 billion of gold:

http://goldsilver.com/video/the-high-security-high-concept-vault-where-deutsche-bank-will-store-9-billion-of-gold/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Gold++Silver+Weekly+6+-+11+-+2013&utm_content=Gold++Silver+Weekly+6+-+11+-+2013+Version+A+CID_61fcd2274e813b7c48d6c34cd0f603f4&utm_source=GoldSilver%20Email%20Marketing&utm_term=read%20more

When the US dollar collapses, perhaps we will see bitcoin backed by gold as the new world currency.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Yes we must beat Hong Hong ! Lol... Jk ok
Ive got about ~700 accounts.

Of which
200 are probably non-sg based people just registering to have a look and will never buy or sell a single satoshi.
150 are probably russian/ hackers trying to look for a vulnerability

350 is my best guess of people based in Singapore who have registered.
Of these id say only 30%(~100+) have ever had any transactions at all, the rest are just looking atm.

Sometimes i wonder why am i even doing this
Don't be discouraged.  It is hard for most people to wrap their heads around this thing.

I just opened an account on your exchange and funded it with btc from cold storage.  If btc spikes, I would look to you to handle any sales I might want to do.

I don't live in S'pore or the US; but I do, of course, have a bank account in S'pore.

The DHS may very well drive this business out of the US, to everyone's disadvantage.  S'pore should step up, as should Hong Hong.

That will be a real boost for the Bitcoin community in Singapore.  Come on, it is time we beat Hong Kong again Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: