Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] [ICO] BattleDrome - Gladiator Combat For Fun & Profit. [In Development] - page 2. (Read 6358 times)

Activity: 407
Merit: 250
Approximately 11 days to go!

Just quickly chiming in to say our supporters are awesome! And we still have support rolling in!

We continue to need your support even though we’ve crossed the threshold of the minimum goal. Every extra bit of ether contributed will help us make BattleDrome that much better!

Also it’s come to my attention that there is some confusion about the end-date of the ICO. It has always been 190,000 Blocks duration, starting on Block #3960000 this means that it will end on block 4150000 exactly.

I know that most of the ICO listing sites use actual date/time, not block number to show their count-downs and this has caused some confusion as some are reporting we’re done already.

I want to be 100% clear, we ARE NOT DONE. As per our most recent estimates we will end APPROXIMATELY 3:30am on the August 12th, Eastern Time. This is not an exact end-time, as it depends on the Ethereum Blockchain. If blocks are mined faster, or slower, this date/time will shift.

I have sent out notices to many listing sites asking them to update their countdown clocks.

I’ve also noticed some of you have attempted to run the payMe method to withdraw your FAME tokens. And you’ve received an error. This is OK! (because it’s designed to block this until the completion of the ICO, and it’s not done yet!)

If you are in doubt, feel free to check the isComplete method on the ICO contract. That is the 100% definitive source for “Are we there yet?”. If isComplete returns TRUE then we are done, and you can safely execute payMe. If you tried and got an error, no worries, you FAME is safe, and the same call will work once the ICO is done.

Thanks again for all of your support! And keep it flowing in!

I’d also like to drop a hint that very soon (in the next few days) we’ll be announcing another surprise for the final stretch of the ICO. So keep checking back here for more info! Or be sure to follow our blog on Medium at: https://medium.com/@BattleDrome
Activity: 62
Merit: 0
Thank you for your time explaining all these. I like everything so far, will invest. Would love to see some graphics tho sometime soon. Good luck !
One more question, how you guys are earning money from the game, how are you going to support the development costs trough the years

We don't earn any money directly from BattleDrome beyond the ico. This is by design.

The ico gives us a small amount of fame, which we can use to participate, or to sell onto the market to make extra funding. And if the platform is a great success, we fully anticipate the value of fame to increase materially.

The plan is the system will be 100% complete with basic feature set at final launch in early 2018. That goal is fully funded by the ico funds.

We have many ideas for future features as well, and intend to achieve this via in of a few means:

If the ico does well enough, the extra funds will find further development.

If we only slightly exceed the minimum, it still funds the core features to completion. But then future ideas can be funded via additional crowd funding rounds (don't worry these ideas would build on the fame ecosystem, we have some creative ideas how we could crowdfund them without detracting from the value of fame), or alternate funding methods (direct investment, community bounties, etc). The success of the initial platform will help drive additional funding initiatives as we will then have a proven track record.

In addition the entire platform will be 100% open source. Meaning the community can continue to develop on to of the basic platform as well.

We fully intended this to be something awesome for the community, and "don't be greedy" was one of our core concepts we wanted to instill in this ico. We want to be paid for our contribution of the platform, we have no interest in skimming money off the players, so 100% of all money put into the game is recirculated back to the community.
Impressive!

I like that.

Well, i would like to know one more thing.

Is any fame created after the ICO ends? I mean for example, do new players gain at start an minimum amount of fame? Will they be able to buy fame withing the game for example from a market that is linked to an exchange? How are they going to participate to invents if they don't have any fame, or will be able to earn fame?

Asking because I am curious if normal players, that are not cyrpto experts will be able to buy fame from the market

No new fame will ever be minted after the ico. The economics will be dynamic in other ways (with supply and demand driven pricing, and adapting variables in the platform itself, much how Bitcoin uses difficulty as one variable to control mining economics.

As for how players participate, only by first aquiring fame can they "play" the game.

We are already speaking to leading cryptonexchanges and fully expect fame to be traded and liquid on at least one major exchange shortly after ico.

As for a method for new players to get in. By participating as crew any spectator can "mine" fame from events. This game is not newly minted, it is recirculated from a small portion of the fees paid to enter an event.

But this doesn't require anything but a bit of gas cost for the "crew" so that is the cheapest way in. By simply spectating events, and helping to "mine" new transactions.

And in doing so they are contributing to the fame economy by lending their eyeballs (viewers/spectators in turn grow the value of advertising etc)
One more question, how you guys are earning money from the game, how are you going to support the development costs trough the years
Impressive!

I like that.

Well, i would like to know one more thing.

Is any fame created after the ICO ends? I mean for example, do new players gain at start an minimum amount of fame? Will they be able to buy fame withing the game for example from a market that is linked to an exchange? How are they going to participate to invents if they don't have any fame, or will be able to earn fame?

Asking because I am curious if normal players, that are not cyrpto experts will be able to buy fame from the market
How the tokens are going to be used in the game?
need more info on the toke ecosystem

Hey, thanks for the question.

The website serves as the white paper, and actually gives a lot of info of exactly how the token will be used (between the main text and the FAQ answers)

But I'll try to give a quick answer here for you:
  • Fame is used to create a gladiator, and to equip them, train them etc. Fees are paid to the engine for these things. 100% of those fees actually are held by the gladiator, they are not taken as skim or by the "house"
  • When a gladiator is defeated in battle, the gladiator who defeated them takes half of the fame held within the gladiator
  • Gladiators can also win fame by being victorious overall in an event, but more on that later.
  • Gladiators are "Owned" by a player. They can be traded, etc. So as you fight, the gladiator gains skills, earns fame, etc. And becomes a better warrior, able to more easily win in battle. In addition, as they win more fame they are holding actual value. The gladiator themselves own the fame.
  • A player can choose to "retire" a gladiator. This is permenant,
    and you would then need to start over, all skills etc that are gained by the warrior, are now lost. However the benefit of doing this is 100% of the gladiator fame is sent to the player. So this acts as a "Cash out" mechanism
  • Gladiators can earn fame in several ways, and the cash out isn't the only way fame is earned by the player. Over time every time a gladiator earns fame, a small percentage is skimmed by the player that owns them. So building up a gladiator will earn fame slowly, depending on the success of the gladiator, but cashing out is a lump sum. As the gladiator levels up, they can potentially warm fame faster, meaning it's a decision by the player to keep building or cash out by retiring.
  • There is an entrance fee for an event. This is paid by the gladiator, not the player. Though the player can at any time send more fame to the gladiator if they run low. The fee is not skimmed by the house, 100% of it is put into the event pool.
  • The event pool can also earn money via advertisers. Who also bid fame in an auction, to secure one of the advertising slots in the event. This gets them advertising during the spectating of the event, the losing bids get their money back, but any winning bid is kept and put into the event pool as well
  • Finally there is wagering on the events. Spectators can wager using fame, which gladiator they think will win. If correct, they can win a portion of the betting pool. It works kind of like a 50/50, 50% of the loosing bets goes into the event pool, the other 50% is won by the winning bets. Wagering will help to drive spectating, also increasing the value of the advertising.
  • the event pool is split up with most of it used as the prize for the winning gladiator. If there is no winner, it is held for the next event, building up the prize pool. A small portion is reserved for the "crew" that help run the event. None is kept by the "house"
  • Any spectator can help out by driving the transactions that power the event and the combat engine. They do this via essentially a "mining" activity while spectating. This costs them some gas, but all crew divide up the crew share of the event share, compensating them with fame making this activity worthwhile.

This ecosystem creates demand for fame via many avenues, and makes it profitable via fame to participate in many ways.

The fame put into the system is 100% circulated in and out between participants. There is absolutely no "skim" or "house advantage"

We hope that a secondary market will also develop around the training and buildup of effective Gladiators.

And of course we plan to expand the ways in which a gladiator can be used, new event types, new things to participate in, and ways to expand the ecosystem around fame tokens.

Does that help answer the question? I suggest you re-read the website, and all faq entries, as that may also help explain this.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to follow up on this thread, or contact us via email at [email protected]

Thanks! Hopefully we can count on your support!
How the tokens are going to be used in the game?
need more info on the toke ecosystem
No other translations yet?

I was really hoping to see Esperanto!

Seriously, there are still several translation bounties up for grabs!

Not to mention the referral bonuses, and twitter bounty!

Free FAME people!

Smiley
Just for everyone's reference, the website:
www.pekka.io

Has blatently just ripped off our website... (to the point if you visit it right now they still have the same template, layout, same gladiator image, much of the same content, entirely same faq section, etc).

I don't mind people copying/pasting, hell I'm open-sourcing most of it anyway, but man this is pretty blatant... Would have been nice to get credit at least Wink

As of time of this writing, here are a few screenshots:

Just saying Wink lol
Your team has very strong technical skills, and I'd like to believe it's a valuable coin. Can ICO only be involved in the official website?

Hi! Thanks for your interest and support!

The ico runs via an Ethereum Smart Contract. In manages the entire ico for us.

In order to participate you only need to send the ico contract some ether.

For more details, or for edge/special cases, please see our participation guide on GitHub at:
https://github.com/BattleDrome/token_and_ico/blob/master/ICO_INSTRUCTIONS.md

The main website is intended just an information portal, and our primary blog.

We tried to make it as easy as possible for anyone to participate, simply send money to the ico address

Unfortunately due to our focus on Ethereum as a platform, we only accept Ether contributions. Meaning if you wish to use Bitcoin or another currency you will need to purchase ether first.

Thanks again for your interest and support!

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask either here on the forums, via our slack channel (available from the website or linked earlier in this thread), or via email at [email protected]
Hey
Is there any bounty for translation?
I want to reserve translation for hindi

Thank you

There are bounties for translation, however due to limitations in the campaign structure, we have only limited languages we offer the bounty for, this wasn't meant to discriminate, it was purely based on gathered web statistics on our visitors, and market exposure as provided by Google.

For more information on our community bounties, see our community program announcement earlier in this thread, or on our blog at:

“Announcing our Community Campaign!” https://medium.com/@BattleDrome/announcing-our-community-campaign-9dcaaf38e0f6

There are other bounties available other than just translations as well.

Thanks!
Activity: 195
Merit: 100
Your team has very strong technical skills, and I'd like to believe it's a valuable coin. Can ICO only be involved in the official website?
Activity: 135
Merit: 100
Hey
Is there any bounty for translation?
I want to reserve translation for hindi

Thank you
A word about smart contract security

With all the news of hacked wallets, thefts, vulnerable ERC20 tokens, etc… I wanted to take a moment to provide some clarity (on how these things apply to BattleDrome) and our opinions/perspectives

First of all let’s get this out in the open: BattleDrome is NOT affected by the recent multi-sig vulnerability!

Does this mean that the ICO Ecosystem, or Network is insecure? And we should stop investing in new startups? NO! Definitely not! (if anything, it highlights the need for further investment, and development!). Though it does highlight things to be aware of as an investor (more about that later).

Ok, now that that’s out of the way… Let’s talk a bit about why that is:

So what exactly happened? How did the theft occur?

Well you’ve all probably heard several posts about this, but here is a short version:

There was a small bug in some central library contracts used by (primarily) the default contract provided by the Parity client for users when they create a Multi-Sig Wallet.

This bug allowed an attacker with the right know-how to “reset” the wallet to a “new” state, which then allowed them to set themselves as the “owner” of the wallet (making it easy to withdraw the money).

Further details on the exploit itself can be found here:
https://blog.ethcore.io/the-multi-sig-hack-a-postmortem/

How does this affect BattleDrome?

It doesn’t.

There are 2 smart contracts in play for BattleDrome:
The FAME ERC20 Token (which controls FAME balance)
The BattleDrome ICO Contract (which houses the ICO funds, and acts as an on-chain escrow during the ICO itself).

Both of these contracts were developed from scratch. And we are not leveraging any centralized libraries in them (so no vulnerability to the delegate call exploit used in the Parity Multi-sig wallet), also the ERC20 address exploit is explicitly blocked in our Token code.

Did we do this because we knew there was an exploit and we knew a fix? No. Nobody saw this coming. In our case we simply wanted to take another approach instead of re-using the same old contract code everyone’s been using for the majority of ICOs out there. We thought we could do things differently, and wanted to take a stab at providing a more secure, trustworthy ICO for our investors.

So what does this mean for investors in the whole ICO ecosystem?

Developer due diligence is important. Make sure your devs know what they are doing and aren’t just “copy and pasting” some existing code.

Code Review practices are important. Ensure your devs are reviewing/testing their code, and that they are conducting third-party code audits of any contract code before it’s published live on the main-net.

If this information isn’t readily available, then ASK the developers to provide it. This shouldn’t be an unreasonable request to ask someone you are about to invest money in to support their idea/cause/project.

The above said, we all need to be aware that the Ethereum Ecosystem is still very young. Think “Where the Web was in the early 90s” kind of thing. The tools, systems, and libraries need time to mature.

It’s important to continue to pour more investment into the ecosystem, despite unexpected circumstances like this. That investment drives more talent, and mind-share into the ecosystem. Over time that leads to better tools, systems, libraries, procedures, best-practices, etc. And these things lead ultimately to mature methodologies that result in secure software.

Other thoughts & comments:

Everyone likes to focus on how Ethereum is “Web 3.0”. But there is an important difference many others have called out. With Smart Contracts there is finality. You can’t simply “iterate” or develop in a traditional “agile” methodology. Sure there are mechanisms you can use to reduce the impact of this, but ultimately a Smart Contract is a final thing once deployed.

This means that Ethereum Development is much less like traditional web application development today, and much more akin to things such as integrated circuit design, embedded system design or aerospace engineering. These industries still write code, but that code needs to be as close as possible to bullet-proof at time of deployment. Once it’s released, it’s final, and can’t be changed (easily).

Ethereum is a new beast. The software industry has never seen anything quite like it. Developing immutable smart contracts on the blockchain has it’s own nuances, and complexities. We need to build up new best-practices that apply to this new paradigm.

These are all things that the BattleDrome development team hopes to bring to bear during development of our platform. Our team has experience in a broad array of development industries, which we can draw from as we find our way in this new ecosystem, including Hardware design, Integrated Circuit design, Enterprise Application development, Web Application development, Financial Sector, Military, and Aerospace.

Again, thank you for your support of our project, and we look forward to making this project (and our future projects) a great success with your support.
Keep the funding rolling into the ICO!

Also reminder, don’t forget about our Community Program! There are still several bounties up for grabs! And referral bonuses!
10 BTC for basic listing  Grin I'll do it in an afternoon for 1.

That was essentially my reaction as well... There have been some that have been willing to list for free, and a few that were willing to work with our model of marketing funds being dependent on the success of the ICO (and understanding that we have a realistic budget, not a "let's raise $100M and go to the Caribbean" budget)

So we've been able to get word out, but we suffered in the first (nearly half) of the campaign, due to underestimating that market, and the avenues for promotion/exposure

All good though, as we've hit our goal, and are coasting towards a successful finish in a couple weeks time approx. And as we get more exposure, more sites are listing us, and we're being contacted by more promotion opportunities. And hopefully our community program will drive some social exposure (still plenty of bounties to grab!)

Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
How much have you raised so far?

Hi! Thanks for your question, we've currently raised just under 149 ETH.

Good work. I think promotions might need a bit more work. I'm not an investor, but I research ICOs and I must admit this one bypassed me for quite a while. It might make sense to try and reach out to some media outlets and certainly a little more emphasis on Twitter and reddit. Your limit is relatively small, but I am sure you can make something in the budget to get someone on media duty.

Actually we have several marketing campaigns going on, and support from several ICO listing sites. Unfortunately this is one of the things we significantly underestimated.

We've found that the vast majority of the media outlets seem to be taking advantage of the recent boom of ICOs and are demanding up-front payment on the order of 10BTC or more for basic listing/twitter services, etc...

We have some support, but our model is such that we are accountable to our backers for any money spent on marketing. And as such it needs to neatly (and justifiably) fit into our marketing budget already declared.

We've found a few excellent souls willing to help, but the majority seem to be clinging to the bubble...

We'll see how that pans out in the long run as the ICO market becomes more "mature". In the meantime we're doing our best to promote it any way we can and get the word out there. I think we'll get it across the line, but certainly lots of lessons learned about the unique aspects of running an ICO as a means to fund a project!

Thanks!

10 BTC for basic listing  Grin I'll do it in an afternoon for 1.

Why did you spell 'Coliseum' like this?  You know this is incorrect spelling right?

Actually it's not an "incorrect" spelling (which may depend on the source of "correct"). It's an alternate, which has a different meaning.

The term Colosseum refers to THE Colosseum, (the one and only, in Rome)

Where the term Coliseum has been generally accepted as a generic term to refer to A Coliseum (generally any outdoor stadium).

I chose to use the general term as opposed to the specific, as I thought it was more appropriate in this context.
Activity: 76
Why did you spell 'Coliseum' like this?  You know this is incorrect spelling right?
And it’s a SUCCESS! Thank you!

So as of last night we officially crossed our minimum goal! (at time of this writing we’re at 649 ETH raised)

BattleDrome is officially a success, and will be moving forward!

Thank you all for your terrific support, and for making BattleDrome a reality!

This doesn’t mean we’re done though! We’ve just crossed the minimum goal, from this point forward we still need your support! While the minimum goal is enough for us to complete the project as promised, additional funds will allow us a larger budget to afford art assets/artists, this will improve the final graphics/art of the spectator engine. In addition we can potentially expand the team, and tackle additional features beyond the basic promised scope.

So let’s keep up the pace! Every bit of contribution helps make BattleDrome that much more of a success!

The ICO still has quite a bit of time left, so let’s keep the support rolling in! And don’t forget, we have a few more exciting announcements we’re saving up for the final push to the finish line!

Thanks again for all of your support. You guys are AWESOME!
Pages:
Jump to: