Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Namecoin v3.50 : faster & better - page 2. (Read 6288 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000
฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!
June 05, 2012, 04:29:39 PM
Namecoin does not hide server location, Tor .onion service does.

Namecoin does not hide visitor location, Tor does.
Do you know bitcoin and namecoin can go through tor : https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Tor#bitcoind ? I'm sure you knew it.

Namecoin needs separate DNS configuration, Tor .onion addresses works ouf-of-box, at least for Tor bundle.
So, are people forced to use unreadable and unmemorable addresses because it works out of the box ? Should they stay like that forever ? Namecoin couldn't be integrated in tor bundle if they want that ? People can't install namecoin if they want ?
I don't understand the problem with giving more possibilities.

Namecoin needs constant mining, Tor does not need.

Namecoin is secure from takeover, Tor .onion addresses also are secure.

Namecoin is interesting experiment and proof-of-concept, but there are better solutions. .onion FTW!
Namecoin is THE solution, really. All other solutions are really shit ! If Tor people didn't add namecoin into tor they are stupid. Do i need to put a smiley ?

+10

Namecoin can make Tor URLs more "human-like"... They complement each other...
Activity: 540
Merit: 500
June 05, 2012, 04:21:17 PM

Do you know bitcoin and namecoin can go through tor : https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Tor#bitcoind ? I'm sure you knew it.

Namecoin needs separate DNS configuration, Tor .onion addresses works ouf-of-box, at least for Tor bundle.
So, are people forced to use unreadable and unmemorable addresses because it works out of the box ? Should they stay like that forever ? Namecoin couldn't be integrated in tor bundle if they want that ? People can't install namecoin if they want ?
I don't understand the problem with giving more possibilities.

Namecoin is interesting experiment and proof-of-concept, but there are better solutions. .onion FTW!
Namecoin is THE solution, really. All other solutions are really shit ! If Tor people didn't add namecoin into tor they are stupid. Do i need to put a smiley ?
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029
Death to enemies!
June 05, 2012, 03:02:03 PM

June 05, 2012, 02:18:31 PM
Can somebody make a namecoind windows binary??

Nope, according to https://github.com/khalahan/namecoin building is only supported on Linux for now.

Nop, building on mac and windows is possible (I should correct this old README...).
We just need someone able to do it on latest release Smiley (you can still use latest available version for windows on http://dot-bit.org, but the new commands won't be available)
June 05, 2012, 02:14:55 PM
My bad, it works! How can I create an alias?
Thanks for the donation of 1NMC Cheesy. Hope to send them back soon :p

You must register an alias prefixed with "id/" in namecoin.

Here is mine to give you an idea :
Code:
namecoind name_show id/khal
{
    "name" : "id/khal",
    "value" : "{ \"email\" : \"[email protected]\", \"bitcoin\" : \"1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T\", \"namecoin\" : \"N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9\" }"
}

Fake example of registration :
Code:
namecoind name_new id/bitinvestor
[
    "045637420d7820779426b3a9da847253070e9b51ffc6dc8bfd46fd7cf9bdf529",
    "94086936402036f000"
]

namecoind name_firstupdate id/bitinvestor 94086936402036f000 045637420d7820779426b3a9da847253070e9b51ffc6dc8bfd46fd7cf9bdf529 "{ \"email\" : \"[email protected]\", \"bitcoin\" : \"1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T\", \"namecoin\" : \"N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9\" }"

To be sure you put a valid json "value", copy/paste the value here :
http://dot-bit.org/tools/domainCheck.php

ps : don't use more than 520 characters to avoid a bug that will be solved soon.
Activity: 470
Merit: 250
June 05, 2012, 11:49:27 AM
4. Use the command below to send me 2NMC :
Code:
namecoind sendtoalias khal 2
The coins will be sent to my namecoin address N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9.

I did that and here's what I get:
error: {"code":-1,"message":"value is type str, expected real"}

My bad, it works! How can I create an alias?

June 05, 2012, 11:45:46 AM

Nope, according to https://github.com/khalahan/namecoin building is only supported on Linux for now.
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
June 05, 2012, 11:17:46 AM
Whatever happened to that dude who came along with an alternative distributed DNS scheme, the guy who posted a link to his white paper in the forum here.  Did he merge efforts with yours or strike out alone?
That would be forum username "pent", but he seems to have been caught up in a stupid ponzi scheme, and I for that reason am not taking him seriously anymore.
donator
Activity: 129
Merit: 100
Swimming in a sea of data
June 05, 2012, 11:13:47 AM
Whatever happened to that dude who came along with an alternative distributed DNS scheme, the guy who posted a link to his white paper in the forum here.  Did he merge efforts with yours or strike out alone?
Activity: 793
Merit: 1016
June 05, 2012, 08:22:56 AM
June 05, 2012, 05:38:20 AM
Here is a binary for linux 64 bits if people want to test quickly :
http://dot-bit.org/files/temp/namecoind-sendtoalias
June 04, 2012, 03:06:55 PM
This is fantastic news! I'm busy today but I will try it out tomorrow. Thanks!
June 04, 2012, 10:42:57 AM
1. Decide which pattern to use for the alias
2. Write a sendtoalias() function
3. Create an alias
4. Test it
5. If it works, tell others how to use it
6. If it doesn't work, make it work

1. No special pattern used in namecoin itself, use the alias directly

2. Code is available here (new rpc command sendtoalias) :
https://github.com/khalahan/namecoin

3. The existing alias is "khal" (stored in namecoin as "id/khal") and contains that data :
{
 "email" : "[email protected]",
 "bitcoin" : "1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T",
 "namecoin" : "N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9"
}

4. Use the command below to send me 2NMC :
Code:
namecoind sendtoalias khal 2
The coins will be sent to my namecoin address N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9.

5. Copy/paste the sendtoalias function in other softwares and add a part to do a name_show query to namecoin (namecoin has a direct database access so it doesn't need it).

6. Beta phase is here to tell us Smiley
Things may change a bit if needed, so consider this a beta phase.
How about #Khal#, #Gavin.Andresen#, or #Bitinvestor# as pattern for the aliases? It would be easily recognized as a payment address and it can't be confused with an e-mail address.
This looks like a bit like hash tags. So, why not @Khal ?

Because it looks a bit like an e-mail address. I didn't know about hash tags (http://hashtags.org/). How about $Khal$, or $Khal? I hope all keyboards around the world have a $ symbol.

Excellent! So what else do we need to make this work?

1. Add the Namecoin proposal to the existing BIP 15
2. Choose Namecoin as the solution among others
3. Finalize and validate the Alias specification
4. Explain how to create an alias

No, no, that comes later. I mean what needs to be done to get it working in Namecoin, now? There is nothing stopping us from starting to use it now. It should be much easier to get one or more of the other altcoins to adopt it (if it works).Then the Bitcoin developers can test it and if they like it they can add it to Bitcoin. I don't want to wait a few years until somebody manages to take it through the BIP process.

1. Decide which pattern to use for the alias
2. Write a sendtoalias() function
3. Create an alias
4. Test it
5. If it works, tell others how to use it
6. If it doesn't work, make it work

How about #Khal#, #Gavin.Andresen#, or #Bitinvestor# as pattern for the aliases? It would be easily recognized as a payment address and it can't be confused with an e-mail address.
This looks like a bit like hash tags. So, why not @Khal ?
Anyway, bitcoin can use the syntax it wants, namecoin will store data in it's own format (example: alias/Khal instead of #Khal)

* Make it independent of any coin (except Namecoin, obviously). Leave it up to the user to decide which coins to use and provide a secure data structure that any coin (existing or yet to be invented) can query to associate an e-mail address with a wallet address. While this feature isn't implemented by other coins it should still be possible to query Namecoin manually to list all the addresses for [email protected] so that the right one can be copied and pasted into the client.
This is the case.

1. Add the Namecoin proposal to the existing BIP 15
2. Choose Namecoin as the solution among others
3. Finalize and validate the Alias specification
4. Explain how to create an alias
If you want a feature to add existing email addresses and to ckeck if someone really owns it, you insert control and you want someone else to control a registered alias. This is not possible in namecoin because there is no central control (and it must be like that for security reasons !).

I see. No problem, it simply means that we have to make sure that we use the correct alias, just like we do with phone numbers and e-mail addresses.

What you can do is :
- adding alias with .bit domains, for example : [email protected] or [email protected]
- adding alias with a namecoin mark : khal25@namecoin, manu44@namecoin, khal25@alia
- adding alias without domains : khal25, manu44

* Make it independent of any coin (except Namecoin, obviously). Leave it up to the user to decide which coins to use and provide a secure data structure that any coin (existing or yet to be invented) can query to associate an e-mail address with a wallet address. While this feature isn't implemented by other coins it should still be possible to query Namecoin manually to list all the addresses for [email protected] so that the right one can be copied and pasted into the client.
This is the case.

* Only allow e-mail addresses to be registered as aliases and verify that the person who registers it has access to it. This can be automated like most mailing lists do. It is necessary to provide this basic level of security to prevent Bulanula from associating his wallet address with [email protected], for example.
If you want a feature to add existing email addresses and to ckeck if someone really owns it, you insert control and you want someone else to control a registered alias. This is not possible in namecoin because there is no central control (and it must be like that for security reasons !).
What you can do is :
- adding alias with .bit domains, for example : [email protected] or [email protected]
- adding alias with a namecoin mark : khal25@namecoin, manu44@namecoin, khal25@alia
- adding alias without domains : khal25, manu44

This is the case. One registration allows you to associate any kind of data (bitcoin address, namecoin, msn/jabber/xmpp email, nickname, gpg key, website, etc) with a unique "word". See it as an identity manager.

* Allow the aliases to be modified quickly in case somebody loses his wallet or changes his e-mail address. Also make sure that people get notified early on when it is necessary to renew their alias to keep it in the blockchain.
Namecoin works like bitcoin. If you loose your wallet, you loose your keys, you loose you alias (but you have the time to give another one to people you know before it expires. Somebody can still query you and send you bitcoin for example).
What you can do is send the private key/wallet somewhere : on you mail address for example :p

Is this possible?
Not the way you imagine it, but yes, it is possible :p

I know it would be convenient to use existing emails addresses but it is only possible if 1 person control the system. Are you sure you really want 1 person controlling 10'000 bitcoin addresses ?
What do you think ?

I've thought about it for a little while and here are my high-level suggestions (I'm not a programmer and my understanding of Namecoin is limited):

* Only allow e-mail addresses to be registered as aliases and verify that the person who registers it has access to it. This can be automated like most mailing lists do. It is necessary to provide this basic level of security to prevent Bulanula from associating his wallet address with [email protected], for example.

* Allow the aliases to be modified quickly in case somebody loses his wallet or changes his e-mail address. Also make sure that people get notified early on when it is necessary to renew their alias to keep it in the blockchain.

Is this possible?

Activity: 369
Long live namecoin ! Will instal later when home.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
Great!
Pages:
Jump to: