Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] [PPC] PPCoin 0.3.0 Release - Upgrade Required - page 3. (Read 20805 times)

legendary
Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010
Yes, but at the same time people can lead dishonest discussions of design decisions to spread uncertainty about new or different ideas. For example here where gmaxwell spreads uncertainty about ripple. Or this thread where I make a dishonest argument against PPCoin to see why Sunny King made some decisions which the Bitcoin developers think is a bad idea. Or the quoted post where the lead developer of Bitcoin spreads uncertainty against an altcoin attempting to fix its problems.

Anyways, congratulations Sunny King. I hope whatever you did fixes the problems you were having.

Hmm interesting  Wink Okay so you sound like you are okay with the difficulty adjustment formula now. Well if freicoin is interested in adopting it my offer to help still stand.
Activity: 768
Merit: 1000
Done!

Nice have the qt now as default, just got 10 PPCs but worth keep updated xD

I accept donations xD

PKteaUnJXfRuZGFmBBh67cWu5ymnR9RBoF

Good job!
Activity: 966
Merit: 311
If you ask Gavin about his position on this matter he likely would have to tell you the same thing.

... or not.  There's a difference between "unfixed vulnerabilities" and "half-baked design."

I think big decisions that affect the fundamentals of the design should be discussed in the open (see the current Bitcoin debate over raising the block size limit).

Yes, but at the same time people can lead dishonest discussions of design decisions to spread uncertainty about new or different ideas. For example here where gmaxwell spreads uncertainty about ripple. Or this thread where I make a dishonest argument against PPCoin to see why Sunny King made some decisions which the Bitcoin developers think is a bad idea. Or the quoted post where the lead developer of Bitcoin spreads uncertainty against an altcoin attempting to fix its problems.

Anyways, congratulations Sunny King. I hope whatever you did fixes the problems you were having.
legendary

... or not.  There's a difference between "unfixed vulnerabilities" and "half-baked design."

I think big decisions that affect the fundamentals of the design should be discussed in the open (see the current Bitcoin debate over raising the block size limit).

It's a whole gray area I am not really interested debating about this. You make judgement on bitcoin what should be discussed in the open what needs to be kept under wrap until it's patched, I make my judgement on ppcoin. Meanwhile, let's focus on getting the real work done.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2300
Chief Scientist
If you ask Gavin about his position on this matter he likely would have to tell you the same thing.

... or not.  There's a difference between "unfixed vulnerabilities" and "half-baked design."

legendary
Note: if your wallet contains more than a couple thousand transactions, when you are redownloading block chain the Qt UI might appear locked up. This is a known issue due to the heavy-lifting of wallet scanning I believe but it's not really locked up and still doing the work. Just leave it to finish the redownload of block chain, or you can use command line getinfo to check its progress (getinfo response will be slower also in this situation).

If you have really huge/fragmented wallet causing redownload to be really slow, another option might be to redownload block chain with an empty wallet, then stop ppcoin and replace the empty wallet with real wallet backup.
legendary
Activity: 1064
I upgraded cryptocoin explorer last night.

Install went smooth, and no issues so far.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 910
Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank
upgraded from source. Did not encounter any problems. Good job.
I'll compile ppcoin-qt later.
Activity: 467
Merit: 100
DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi
Finaly !!!!!
Thanks and for great GUI
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Will be updating later on this afternoon =) gj.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Milkshake
Great! Now let's see how long until another vuln is discovered  Grin Grin Grin
legendary
Activity: 910
Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank
Upgrade instructions:

Upgrade is required before Wednesday March 20th. Nodes that have not upgraded before this deadline will disconnect from the main ppcoin network (hard fork).

To upgrade:
1) Before upgrade, you must first backup your wallet:
ppcoind backupwallet <destination_backup_wallet_name>
2) Note down your balance/stake/newmint amounts. Shutdown ppcoin
ppcoind stop
3) Inside your wallet directory, remove all files and subdirectories except for leaving wallet.dat and ppcoin.conf in place.
4) Download 0.3.0 and unpack/install.
5) Start up ppcoind/ppcoin-qt normally.
6) Use getinfo/about to confirm your ppcoind/ppcoin-qt version is now 'v0.3.0ppc-beta'
7) You should see block chain is being downloaded again. Please note during redownload of block chain your balance will be shown initially as 0 and change as block chain is being downloaded. This is expected. When block chain download completes your balance/stake/newmint should return to the same value before the upgrade.

My sincere appreciation to co-contributors of 0.3.0 release:

• Robert VanHazinga of Hartland PC (dreamwatcher) for the vanitygen compatibility fix
  • Jutarul for demonstrating stake generation vulnerability
  • EskimoBob for reporting issue fixed in 0.3.0

Cheers and have fun!

Excellent job ya'll.

"destination" - you actually need to add a destination path
$ ./ppcoind backupwallet /home/destination-dir-here/new_wallet_name.dat

donator
Activity: 994
Thanks, that should clear things up. Although I don't quite follow you on "security concerns". It seems that your understanding of cryptology got things backwards - at least from my perspective.

Not really, we just have different perspectives. As the maintainer of ppcoin I have obligations to not talk about unfixed vulnerabilities freely. It's a cryptocurrency in production, not just a research project that no investor loss would be involved. If you ask Gavin about his position on this matter he likely would have to tell you the same thing.
I agree with the sentiment to keep vulnerabilities confidential which can lead to immediate harm, until a solution is in place. However, suppression of reporting leads to a false sense of security - for the unaware. It would be great to have some sort of alarm in place. But this is an issue not restricted to ppcoin. It's not even restricted to cryptocurrencies or software. It's a general aspect of governance.
legendary
Thanks, that should clear things up. Although I don't quite follow you on "security concerns". It seems that your understanding of cryptology got things backwards - at least from my perspective.

Not really, we just have different perspectives. As the maintainer of ppcoin I have obligations to not talk about unfixed vulnerabilities freely. It's a cryptocurrency in production, not just a research project that no investor loss would be involved. If you ask Gavin about his position on this matter he likely would have to tell you the same thing.
donator
Thanks. Surely you have already touched upon the reasons of what you refer to as 'opaque' development, mostly, due to lack of resources, secondly, for security concerns. I only have time to discuss the design with trusted peers before release. I hope you can understand that there is lot of work involved and it's not trivial work to even understand the design and its intricacies. There is no separate document, I have put some comments into the source code, it's not long at all, only about 400 lines in kernel.cpp and some of it is preexisting code in v0.2. Interested parties can take time to look at it, and discuss it maybe in my disclosure thread. I'll try to answer some of the questions along the way.
legendary
Thanks. Surely you have already touched upon the reasons of what you refer to as 'opaque' development, mostly, due to lack of resources, secondly, for security concerns. I only have time to discuss the design with trusted peers before release. I hope you can understand that there is lot of work involved and it's not trivial work to even understand the design and its intricacies. There is no separate document, I have put some comments into the source code, it's not long at all, only about 400 lines in kernel.cpp and some of it is preexisting code in v0.2. Interested parties can take time to look at it, and discuss it maybe in my disclosure thread. I'll try to answer some of the questions along the way.

donator
First of, congrats to the release! I can only imagine how much work has been put into it. Also your acknowledgement is somewhat flattering.

So far there has been a lot of secrecy about the development team and process of ppcoin. This has to be improved if this cryptocurrency shall be here to stay. It is perfectly possible to stay anonymous while performing a transparent development. Up to today you haven't stated a reasoning for your procedure.

If you have any design documents, which lead to the derivation of the 0.3.0 POS implementation please share them with the community. Also it would be great if you could explain HOW exactly the new implementation removes the weaknesses of a computational attack on the POS generation.

Also, please know that I have nothing against opaque development in general as long as the source code is published and can be verified. There are a lot of reasons why developers choose opaque development - the predominated one being lack of time to prepare documentation and engage in algorithmic design discussions.
However, I don't understand why it has to be that way here. Especially network security is a critical topic which benefits from a peer developed process, making the code stronger - not weaker.

Thank you
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
Okay i still think that not talking about how the algorithm works isn't going to make the boogey man go away.

Can you explain publicly the new POS algorithm?

this
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
Crypto Somnium
QT version ?
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Okay i still think that not talking about how the algorithm works isn't going to make the boogey man go away.

Can you explain publicly the new POS algorithm?
Pages:
Jump to: