Pages:
Author

Topic: [Ann] The Price in Sats - page 4. (Read 870 times)

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 2032
The Alliance Of Bitcointalk Translators - ENG>SPA
February 19, 2021, 12:24:07 PM

Or you referring to the "Sats shopping list"? then yes it's not convert, only in GBP price.

Thanks for the kind words, for now, the shopping list is just quoted in GBP, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get it working with all 5 currencies however it might need another price oracle.

By the way, if anyone wants to see a specific item appear and it can be found on https://www.tesco.com/groceries/ please send me the page URL and i'll get it added. Right now, its just a mixed shopping basket with some of the key influences Steak, Pizza & Sushi. I guess I'll need to add Cake!

Hey! Welcome to the forum!

You are doing a great job and, most importantly, you are sharing it with the community.

Thank you very much, I am looking forward to see your progress.
copper member
Activity: 82
Merit: 27
February 19, 2021, 10:40:36 AM

Or you referring to the "Sats shopping list"? then yes it's not convert, only in GBP price.

Thanks for the kind words, for now, the shopping list is just quoted in GBP, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get it working with all 5 currencies however it might need another price oracle.

By the way, if anyone wants to see a specific item appear and it can be found on https://www.tesco.com/groceries/ please send me the page URL and i'll get it added. Right now, its just a mixed shopping basket with some of the key influences Steak, Pizza & Sushi. I guess I'll need to add Cake!
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1156
February 19, 2021, 10:31:11 AM
Great job!
I've seen a bunch sites about convert satoshi to fiat or any currency, but you've include the price on grocery store which is new initiative.

I'd agree with @~DefaultTrust but I don't know how possible it is, because fees is pretty vary on many kind of address format or custodial wallet with the current network.

When I switched to USD and entered an amount it wouldn't convert.
It works on me.

Activity: 1708
Merit: 125
www.positivebetting.com
February 19, 2021, 10:25:43 AM

Noted, I'll take a look into that - but could I ask when you entered an amount did you get this response "NaN" - this occurs when the site doesn't get pricing from CoinGecko. As mentioned be Evilish, might need to look at a different source such as an exchange.

I am not sure how reliable CoinGecko API is. Perhaps use an exchange like Coinbase/Gemini/Kraken to get the prices?

Ahh okay that's the problem then. I would use an average of some exchanges then.
copper member
February 19, 2021, 10:20:03 AM

Noted, I'll take a look into that - but could I ask when you entered an amount did you get this response "NaN" - this occurs when the site doesn't get pricing from CoinGecko. As mentioned be Evilish, might need to look at a different source such as an exchange.

I am not sure how reliable CoinGecko API is. Perhaps use an exchange like Coinbase/Gemini/Kraken to get the prices?
copper member
February 19, 2021, 10:06:33 AM
Good idea but I think it would be much better if there was some browser extension or script doing this instead of website, so for example if I go to Amazon or Ebay or any other website with prices I could see price in satoshi and/or BTC below or instead dollar price.
This could include all products found on internet and not just limited with Tesco products, and we can do this until everyone adds sats/btc values on their own Wink

Thanks, yes I had a similar comment to have an app that could scan a bar code and give the price in Sats. Who knows Bezos might announce his hand in the coming weeks and Amazon will be priced in Sats by default - global currency!
Activity: 882
Merit: 563
Bitcoin to the moon!
February 19, 2021, 09:59:21 AM
Oh man, you've done such a neat design job. Great work.

A couple observations.

And would be wonderful if you could add some functionality to show shopping list prices in the currency selected on the Sats calculator. Perhaps not that trivial to do if both the components are isolated? But thought I'd throw the suggestion in.
Activity: 1708
Merit: 125
www.positivebetting.com
February 19, 2021, 09:43:46 AM
copper member
Activity: 1540
Merit: 487
Stop the war!
February 19, 2021, 09:37:11 AM
Good idea but you need to include in the price the actual cost of the bitcoin transaction fee.
For example:
If I want to buy Coca Cola 1 Litre then I will pay £ 1.45 OR, as a minimum, 3872 SATs (the Coca Cola price) + 441496 SATs (the small fee for bitcoin miners)

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions
(Hi, satoshi!)

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
February 19, 2021, 09:13:05 AM
Good idea but I think it would be much better if there was some browser extension or script doing this instead of website, so for example if I go to Amazon or Ebay or any other website with prices I could see price in satoshi and/or BTC below or instead dollar price.
This could include all products found on internet and not just limited with Tesco products, and we can do this until everyone adds sats/btc values on their own Wink

copper member
February 19, 2021, 07:29:04 AM
Hi, welcome to bitcointalk Smiley

While i've seen similar website like this, it's neat idea to obtain actual grocery price (since most website usually hard-coded average price).

Thanks, yeah it only has 50 items so far and it's all from Tesco, so I do need to add a few hundred more items, look at some other sites and currency conversions for localisations but I did want people to start trying to price in items in Sats and get comfortable with the amounts.

copper member
February 19, 2021, 06:32:22 AM
Hello, World!

With the price increasing and Bitcoin in the mainstream media, I dug out an old app idea and launched 'The Price In Sats (thepriceinsats.com)' - certainly not a new concept but I hope the website and the use of pricing everyday items in Sats will give people a usable gauge for how much something costs like a bottle of coke, steak or even a pizza.

It's a quick app and needs tonnes of more items, but I hope you'll check it out.
Pages:
Jump to: