Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] USSC Crypto-P2P-Server | Decentralized P2P Exchange & Application - page 2. (Read 4774 times)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250
♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫
How about making this into an easy to install pre-configured linux/bsd distro?

Users would be able to download the ISO and run it on just about any machine.

From my near zero knowledge of linux and from what I recall with speaking about it to colleagues over the years a variant of NETBSD is the most hardened out of the box no?
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Oh my Lord I almost had a heart attack. Either the president is in town or they were seriously trying to find me.

Ok. I talked to a security guard. He told me some rich lady with 20 bodyguards just went through. Maybe. But I saw them going from PC to PC looking at the screens. I got the hell outta there.

Ok I am back now.

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
So... is this a real life soap opera?
I got black suits all around me all of a sudden. be back...
I GOT IT!

Ok. Where do I start?

Last night I was thinking and meditation about how to secure the whole system to answer Michael question in the previous posts.

I really could not come up with a good way to secure the system. So I did what I did the night I came up with the BTA solution.

I prayed.

Afterward the answers came. Three answers actually.

The first answer was:

You use certificates and keys to secure the server nodes. A rogue node could not transact with any of the P2P server nodes.

But a legitimate node could disrupt transactions. What differentiates a rogue node from a "real" node?

I'm just saying I'd like to see you write something specific about the security of the exchange system you are proposing.

-Michael

Then I understood what he was actually asking. So I am going to rephrase the question:

What do you do to mitigate the worst case scenario?

What is the worst case scenario? I will tell you what it is.

A trusted sysadmin who has gone rogue.

Let's say that Gavin or Coblee's best friend and most trusted sysadmin in the whole p2p exchange network who's name is Charles decides:
Hey, I am tired of making peanuts for salary. I got a quarter million dollars in BTC in the wallet banks of my server. I think I will just empty them and then go to Cancun.

How do you stop a sysadmin who has gone rogue and has physical access to a server?

The truth is you cant.

and that when the second answer came to me:

Remove the wallet.dat files.

Remove the wallet.dat files?  If I remove the wallet.dat files from the server then how do conduct cryptocurrency transactions?

So, I though about it. Then I hit me. Like a ton of bricks.

It was genius. Plus, I could not believe that I had the answer all along. The answer was something I was already doing for my personal security.

Then I realized the answer was to use something that I call a "disposable wallet"

(I AM WRITING THIS AS YOU READ IT...  CLICK REFRESH TO UPDATE THE SCREEN)
Give me some time. I am going to think about this for a bit. Check back tomorrow.

Here is another feature I like about SDSI:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2693

4. Delegation

One of the powers of an authorization certificate is the ability to
   delegate authorizations from one person to another without bothering
   the owner of the resource(s) involved.  One might issue a simple
   permission (e.g., to read some file) or issue the permission to
   delegate that permission further.

Two issues arose as we considered delegation: the desire to limit
   depth of delegation and the question of separating delegators from
   those who can exercise the delegated permission.

What do you think?  Is SPKI/SDSI something that can fit in this p2p design?

Give me some feedback.
Another feature I like about SDSI:

2.8 Fully Qualified SDSI Names

SDSI local names are of great value to their definer.  Each local
   name maps to one or more public keys and therefore to the
   corresponding keyholder(s).  Through SDSI's name chaining, these
   local names become useful potentially to the whole world.  [See
   section 2.6.2 for an example of SDSI name chaining.]

To a computer system making use of these names, the name string is
   not enough.  One must identify the name space in which that byte
   string is defined.  That name space can be identified globally by a
   public key.

It is SDSI 1.0 convention, preserved in SPKI, that if a (local) SDSI
   name occurs within a certificate, then the public key of the issuer
   is the identifier of the name space in which that name is defined.

Ellison, et al.               Experimental                     [Page 11]

RFC 2693                SPKI Certificate Theory           September 1999

However, if a SDSI name is ever to occur outside of a certificate,
   the name space within which it is defined must be identified.  This
   gives rise to the Fully Qualified SDSI Name.  That name is a public
   key followed by one or more names relative to that key.  If there are
   two or more names, then the string of names is a SDSI name chain.
   For example,

(name (hash sha1 |TLCgPLFlGTzgUbcaYLW8kGTEnUk=|) jim therese)

is a fully qualified SDSI name, using the SHA-1 hash of a public key
   as the global identifier defining the name space and anchoring this
   name string.

A solution I am looking at is a type of automated hierarchical key generation. I want to remove the human element as much as possible. I will give the "mayor" of the city power over they top level nodes. But everything else from there would be automated by the nodes according to hierarchy.  I will explain later.
What do you think about something like this? SPKI/SDSI:

http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/key_mgmt/documents/Sept2012_Presentations/LAMBERT_CKMW2012.pdf

I am looking at this because it doesn't use a CA plus there are some other customizations I can make.

From Wikipedia:

SPKI/SDSI does not define a role for a commercial Certificate Authority (CA). In fact, one premise behind SPKI is that a commercial CA serves no useful purpose.[1] As a result of that, SPKI/SDSI is deployed primarily in closed solutions and in demonstration projects of academic interest. Another side-effect of this design element is that it is difficult to monetize SPKI/SDSI by itself. It can be a component of some other product, but there is no business case for developing SPKI/SDSI tools and services except as part of some other product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPKI

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2692

This looks awesome wish you the best, can't help any as i can't code anything.

That's fine. Whatever you can do would be appreciated. We all need to work together to help come up with a solution.
Activity: 896
Merit: 102
This looks awesome wish you the best, can't help any as i can't code anything.
You use certificates and keys to secure the server nodes. A rogue node could not transact with any of the P2P server nodes.

But a legitimate node could disrupt transactions. What differentiates a rogue node from a "real" node?

I'm just saying I'd like to see you write something specific about the security of the exchange system you are proposing.

-Michael

Let me come up with a good security implementation for this. I will put my brain to work to see if I can come up with an original security scheme.

I have been looking at some sort of original SPKI/SDSI (Simple Public Key Infrastructure / Simple Distributed Security Infrastructure) type implementation, along with some other schemes I am looking into as well.

SPKI/SDSI Link:  http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/key_mgmt/documents/Sept2012_Presentations/LAMBERT_CKMW2012.pdf

Give me some time...
Hey, I am looking for a community collaboration here.

I will be honest. I have an extensive background in enterprise applications, Storage Area Networks, enterprise networking, enterprise etc...

I could build this whole system right now without writing a single line of compiled code.

Just using Linux, Apache, MySQL, pHp, (LAMP), WAMP, bitcoin, bittorrent, and a host of Linux tools (ssh, cron, bash, etc..).  

It wouldn't be pretty; but it would work.

Would it be secure? not very.

But I guarantee you that it would work.

Yes I was a firewall admin (checkpoint, cisco, netscreen, fortinet, etc...) so I know that security is a non-issue. There are ways to secure the transactions.

Going forward I will try to include some suggestions on security in my updates.

I am looking for you guys to pipe in with suggestions and other stuff too. I don't want to do this all by myself.
Activity: 117

-Michael
16. home-virtual-server-001 (on physical p2p-server-001) then submits the confirmation-reply to it own send-queue while broadcasting pickup notification to p2p network.

17. Whatever Tier-I BTA-virtual-server that is available on the network will pickup the confirmation-reply and route it back to BTA-virtual-server-002 (this could be BTA-virtual-server-003 or some other BTA-virtual-server. What is important is that all transactions require the interaction of more than one BTA-virtual-server in order to complete)

18. BTA-virtual-server-002 retrieves the confirmation-reply from the receive queue and forwards it back to the BTA Tier-I exchange service on the same physical server.

19. The BTA Tier-I exchange service (on physical p2p-server-002)...

(I WILL FINISH TOMORROW... CHECK BACK. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE SUPPORT.)

(Continuing...)

7. BTA Tier-I exchange service (on physical p2p-server-002) sees Bob's request to send Alice 10 coins to her personal wallet address. BTA Tier-I exchange service drafts confirmation request (from Bob to send Alice 10 coins to her personal wallet address).

8. The BTA Tier-I exchange service sends the confirmation request to the p2p application stack.

9. BTA-virtual-server-002 receives the request for confirmation (Bob's) from the application stack. But security rules prohibit any BTA-virtual-server from directly executing request from the same physical server. So BTA-virtual-server-002 sends confirmation request to queue and broadcasts to the p2p network for utility pickup.

10. BTA-virtual-server-003 (on physical p2p-server-003) receives utility pickup request from it's listener service and adds BTA-virtual-server-002 to it's own pickup route list.

11. BTA-virtual-server-003 routes through the p2p network and picks up the utility request from BTA-virtual-server-002.  Because this is a utility request there is no need to add the request to the Tier-I exchange database.

12. BTA-virtual-server-003 then starts to process the utility request and add home-virtual-server-001 (Bob's home server) to its own drop-off route list.

13. BTA-virtual-server-003 then routes through the p2p network and adds the confirmation request to home-virtual-server-001 receive queue

14. home-virtual-server-001 retrieves the confirmation request from its own receive queue and forwards to Bob's client.

15. Bob receives on screen the confirmation request to send Alice 10 coins. Bob then confirms the request.

16. home-server-001 then

(CHECK BACK LATER TODAY FOR THE REST... SEE YA!)  

16. home-virtual-server-001 (on physical p2p-server-001) then submits the confirmation-reply to it own send-queue while broadcasting pickup notification to p2p network.

17. Whatever Tier-I BTA-virtual-server that is available on the network will pickup the confirmation-reply and route it back to BTA-virtual-server-002 (this could be BTA-virtual-server-003 or some other BTA-virtual-server. What is important is that all transactions require the interaction of more than one BTA-virtual-server in order to complete)

(REFRESH THIS PAGE... I WILL UPDATE IN A FEW MINUTES)
Activity: 322
Supersonic
All the best with your project.
Its obvious that you did not read all of the post.

Go back and read about the multi-teir BTA

Its a decentralized exchange.

What that means is that even if you were somehow able to hack one of the tier-I BTA-virtual-servers you would only affect a very very small percent of all the users on the exchange. Its decentralized!

This design is designed to be resistant to seizure and DDoS attacks. Theft is mitigated through the use of multi-server interactions. (You might find out if you let me finish my example).

What would you propose for a decentralized exchange? Ripple?

I worked at four banks and at a Internet Data Center.  Most of the platforms I supported had systems that were not "compiled into binary". What planet do you live on?
Activity: 322
Supersonic
The system should be coded to run on an LAMP server using PHP and MySQL only. Perl can be used to facilitate server side scripts and systems commands as well.

n00b! Neither scalable nor secure... just n00b friendly...

Its a p2p network. What do you mean scalable?

This is an overall design for you to code however you want.  If it is not secure it will be your own fault.

I assure you I am not a newbie. Stop being a troll and come up with a better solution... if you can.

I recommended MySql to demonstrate the ease in which this system could be made. You can use any database that you would like. That's up to you. The choice is yours.

What OS would you recommend? Windows?

It is obvious that you either didn't read all of my posts, or your a newbie with no experience whatsoever.

I wasn't referring to the OS. My comment was for "using PHP and MySQL only" . Anyone that has any experience, wouldn't touch something as important as an exchange with php and mysql.

Both PHP and mysql are bloated "one size fits all solutions" with loads of bugs and vulnerabilities. The only reason to use them is to get something deployed quick without much concern of performance or security.  And then you expect other people to be able to run them in a secure manner?

Anything thats not compiled into a binary is not a good fit for something that needs to be secure.
Pages:
Jump to: