Author

Topic: [ANN] [VIA] ★ Viacoin ★ ~ the future of digital currency ~ ★ - page 246. (Read 825850 times)

Activity: 1414
Merit: 265
Pepemo.vip
The people waiting for sub 35k might be SOL.
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001
Well, the one surprise that I have today after I installed the Wallet is, how fast fast actually synchronized with the blocks.

That is due to the block chain being pretty small due to the coin only being launched recently. Another issue the Bitcoin crowed is going to have to deal with, block chain pruning. I know there has been talk of it, but I'm not sure it has been addressed yet.
Activity: 602
Merit: 295
Hail Eris!
bitcoin needs some competition.

its getting to be like your grandads crypto  Grin

I don't think any currency ever will compete with Bitcoin, they are most accepted crypto.

That might be true for web transactions or sending someone "money" where waiting 10 minutes for a confirm isn't a problem. But, for POS type transactions something faster is needed. Less than a minute is probably ok, less than 10 seconds is probable better, less than 1 second is probably optimal.

I think Bitcoin is here to stay, it will be the "gold" of crypto. It will be used as a store of value and for large transactions or for transactions where 10 minutes is fine. But, there is a need for a faster coin. This was the idea of Litecoin, but I think it is still too slow. Will Via win? Will NXT? I don't know.

So, don't think compete but complement is more the word.

Well, the one surprise that I have today after I installed the Wallet is, how fast fast actually synchronized with the blocks. The second surprise did throw me out of the chair. I deposited nearly 1k of viacoins to my wallet and I actually saw all 6 confirmations being confirmed in front of my eyes and under half a minute, I would say ... just great!

Seriously, one of the main factors preventing most bitcoin and altcoin adoption (including bitcoin 2.0 ventures) is ridiculously long transaction times.  I am very excited about Via coin although I learned about it late. (was on a several week crypto vacation).  This is one of the most off-putting things about crypto.

Any decent bitcoin 2.0 platform needs to deal with these issues.  No matter how innovative their service is, if it takes minutes or hours for a transaction people will prefer traditional markets. 

I wish I had more to invest.
Activity: 270
Merit: 250

I don't think any currency ever will compete with Bitcoin, they are most accepted crypto.

That might be true for web transactions or sending someone "money" where waiting 10 minutes for a confirm isn't a problem. But, for POS type transactions something faster is needed. Less than a minute is probably ok, less than 10 seconds is probable better, less than 1 second is probably optimal.

I think Bitcoin is here to stay, it will be the "gold" of crypto. It will be used as a store of value and for large transactions or for transactions where 10 minutes is fine. But, there is a need for a faster coin. This was the idea of Litecoin, but I think it is still too slow. Will Via win? Will NXT? I don't know.

Well, the one surprise that I have today after I installed the Wallet is, how fast fast actually synchronized with the blocks. The second surprise did throw me out of the chair. I deposited nearly 1k of viacoins to my wallet and I actually saw all 6 confirmations being confirmed in front of my eyes and under half a minute, I would say ... just great!
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

Activity: 490
this coin could hit top 5.

25+ mil market cap?

After listening to the entire Let's Talk Bitcoin - TreeChains with Peter Todd, I have no doubt in my mind via will break 25 mil cap. All will happen in time.
Activity: 280

Activity: 132
Merit: 100
http://www.coindesk.com/peter-todd-joins-viacoin-development-team-chief-scientist/

Peter Todd Joins Viacoin Development Team as Chief Scientist

Bitcoin Core developer and current Coinkite advisor Peter Todd has been hired by the viacoin development team to work on a bitcoin 2.0 technology concept.

Nice, now I have some faith this project may deliver.

Just listened to Peter Todd talk about his plans for VIAs new Tree Chain paradigm. This is huge! A true game changer. This news hasn't had a chance to sink in yet and people haven't wrapped their heads around it yet... BIG things ahead for this coin. The term 2.0 is being thrown around kinda loosely these days, but in this case it truly applies. Congrats to VIA! Cheesy

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/ltb104-tree-chains-with-peter-todd/

I also gave it a listen. Really interesting stuff. I hope they would have discussed treechains more, I didn't get good enough understanding of it from the interview but it's really nice to have Peter Todd onboard for ViaCoin.

The important take away for me was the evolution of the block chain: Block Chain -> Side Chain -> TREE CHAIN! Cheesy
Activity: 35
Merit: 0

25+ mil market cap?

Yes, most probably it will hit 25+ million market cap.
Activity: 1414
Merit: 265
Pepemo.vip

25+ mil market cap?
Activity: 280
this is one ico that has paid off for people.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
TokenHouse decentralized cryptocurrency exchange
http://www.coindesk.com/peter-todd-joins-viacoin-development-team-chief-scientist/

Bitcoin Core developer and current Coinkite advisor Peter Todd has been hired by the viacoin development team to work on a bitcoin 2.0 technology concept.

Just listened to Peter Todd talk about his plans for VIAs new Tree Chain paradigm. This is huge! A true game changer. This news hasn't had a chance to sink in yet and people haven't wrapped their heads around it yet... BIG things ahead for this coin. The term 2.0 is being thrown around kinda loosely these days, but in this case it truly applies. Congrats to VIA! Cheesy

I also gave it a listen. Really interesting stuff. I hope they would have discussed treechains more, I didn't get good enough understanding of it from the interview but it's really nice to have Peter Todd onboard for ViaCoin.
Activity: 270
Is there any mining calclator to see how much VIAcoins can I mine?
Activity: 132
Merit: 100

Activity: 420

Activity: 308
It's 40K now...petty good
legendary
Activity: 1148
Can you translate to Chinese for the Chinese crowd? And post to Weibo?

nice idea, i will translate this into Chinese and try to post this on bter and btc38 and weibo.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1064
Can you translate to Chinese for the Chinese crowd? And post to Weibo?
legendary
Activity: 1148

Todd will serve as chief scientist and advisor on both the viacoin core project and the decentralized smart contract platform ClearingHouse, which is being developed in tandem with viacoin. The primary focus of his work will be treechains, a concept created by Todd that allows for block chain scalability and side-chain coordination. As well, treechains promote a greater degree of mining decentralization – a key issue facing the digital currency community today.

According to the official announcement, posted on the viacoin development blog, Todd’s work will allow for greater versatility and complexity of block chain utilization – something that will enable the technology to be used on a larger scale in the broader economy. Tree Chains will ultimately be integrated into viacoin, serving as the basis of a broader build-out of its block chain and the protocols being developed for it.

Todd told CoinDesk:

“My goals with treechains are permissionless development, decentralizing mining, and making Bitcoin scale. I want to allow anyone with a new idea for a decentralized consensus system the chance to compete on a level playing field; treechains is that playing field.”

The growth of bitcoin 2.0

As a developer, Todd is no stranger to either decentralized smart block chain platforms or bitcoin 2.0 projects. In addition to his work with Coinkite as chief naysayer and the Bitcoin Core project, Todd has been involved with the development of mastercoin, Counterparty and coloured coins. Notably, Todd resigned from the Mastercoin project following the announcement that he was working with the viacoin team.

ClearingHouse, like Counterparty – a platform on which ClearingHouse is based – allows for the creation and deployment of a variety of smart contracts and actions. Todd’s treechains concept enables greater coordination and communication between block chains, a potential application that would make smart transactions simpler to conduct.

As such, the impact on digital currency development is significant. Viacoin’s developer told CoinDesk:

“Giving Peter the necessary resources to research and develop treechains will have a lasting impact on decentralised consensus based systems. Mining centralization is an undisputed problem and if you extrapolate it to it’s logical conclusion, will spell the death of decentralised consensus.”
Jump to: