Author

Topic: [ANN][KMD][dPoW] Komodo - An Open, Composable Smart Chain Platform, Secured by B - page 843. (Read 1191989 times)

Activity: 268
Merit: 250
Does SuperNet NAV hold Zcash?
There is no ZEC until Oct.28th

I dont count cash settled futures markets

Understood.

Did SuperNet invest into Zcash ICO?

SO will something show on coin release?
There was no ICO for zcash...

and SuperNET wasnt any of the early investors, though I definitely would have if I had been given the chance

So only way to get it is by mining or on the open market, but I expect both of those methods to be quite expensive. The diff on testnet is already quite high and that is for testnet, cant estimate the mining that will be there during the slow start.

I had estimated a 0.1 BTC price for ZEC during the early days, but based on the futures trading today up to .075 I think I will need to revise that upward

Ok cool so the best entry to the Zcash tech is right here
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1134

Understood.

There was no ICO for zcash...

and SuperNET wasnt any of the early investors, though I definitely would have if I had been given the chance

So only way to get it is by mining or on the open market, but I expect both of those methods to be quite expensive. The diff on testnet is already quite high and that is for testnet, cant estimate the mining that will be there during the slow start.

I had estimated a 0.1 BTC price for ZEC during the early days, but based on the futures trading today up to .075 I think I will need to revise that upward

Understood.

legendary

Activity: 784
Merit: 253
Set Your Ideas Free

SuperNET holds many things, but looks like Zcash is not on the list.

http://www.supernet.org/nav.php

Activity: 581
Seems very interesting project. Following this project
Set Your Ideas Free

We have created a Facebook page! Like us!  Kiss

> > Komodo Facebook < <

Set Your Ideas Free
Hi all!

Question about BTCD swap:
I understood that all of those 90% of KMD will be sold for BTC/BTCD investors, but how do you guys know how much KMD:s will be given to BTC investors, since you don't know how many BTCD owners will swap in 1 year swapping period? Or do you plan to wait 1 year and then share the percents, when we know how much to give BTC investors and how many to BTCD swappers?

The more BTC gets invested, the higher the percent they get will be. Only after the ICO ends we can calculate how many KMD coins goes to the BTC investors and how many to BTCD investors. Likewise we can calculate the KMD/BTC and KMD/BTCD exchange rates only after the ICO.

Like James already said, we must assume all the BTCD will be swapped and reserve enough KMD tokens for them.

Following this project with interest. Where I can read the whitepaper?

White paper is coming! We recommend joining our newsletter, so you won't miss it!

www.komodoplatform.com <- to join the newsletter
steemit.com/@komodoplatform <- Also follow us on Steemit!
legendary
Starting https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.16245305 I explain various technical aspects. I submitted draft whitepaper for review already, but not sure how long it will be
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
very soon!!
Activity: 980
Merit: 502
legendary
If to postulate infinite resources are used against anything, well, how can it have a chance?

I prefer to be realistic and trust that the technical competency of the zcash team is high enough that they wont be fooled into running contaminated compilers, which seems to be the main theory of how zcash will be compromised.

https://z.cash/blog/snark-parameters.html

http://diyhpl.us/~bryan/papers2/bitcoin/snarks/Secure%20sampling%20of%20public%20parameters%20for%20succinct%20zero%20knowledge%20proofs.pdf

There’s a kind of “cryptographic toxic waste”, which if it were to be created and exploited, would allow the attacker to counterfeit currency (although it wouldn’t allow them to violate anyone’s privacy). Our plan to prevent that uses a secure multiparty computation in which a set of well-known people each contribute, in such a way that if any one of them successfully destroys their shard, then the cryptographic toxic waste can never come into existence. We’re also working on other potential long-term defenses against risks like this.

My assessment is that the probability of zcash parameters being compromised are much smaller than ring signatures being deanonymized via brute force statistical correlations.

You need to put things in perspective. Knowing the zcash devs, I put zero probability that ALL of them are govt operatives. And it would require all of them to be cooperating. So, what is required is that all of their systems are compromised without their knowing about it. Now there are not just the average joe computer users, they are arguably the most skilled in the field and all of them will be fooled into using compromised setups?

Please, let us be realistic. Even in this horror of horrors, we end up with a situation that is similar to fiat system where new supply is created without controls. However, anybody with the resources to do this can already print money and the failure mode is not loss of privacy, but loss of control over the money supply.

So, using the logic that an uneconomic attack is not a real attack, I dont worry much about this "attack" vector. By the way, if we ignore uneconomic attacks, all of crypto is vulnerable as you can brute force every single privkey given enough resources, might take a few decades and the entire output of the silicon industry, but when costs dont matter, such details can be ignored

Also, based on the initial market price point we are seeing on bitmex, most people are not overly concerned over this. Basically anybody that is willing to use any centralized system is taking much much greater risks than this "compromise zcash" attack chances

tl:dr I trust daira will not generate params on a compromised setup
legendary
Silly question: PoW uses miners to mine. dPoW is mineable too with miners like SHA256 or Scrypt?
dPoW combines consensus methods, can be a large variety as long as there is the bitcoin notarization at the end.

komodo specifically uses the same PoW as zcash does, the equihash mining. That is the first layer of consensus, but also the notary nodes can do the delegating staking.

Similar to peercoin that combines PoW and PoS, the dPoW will combine the two methods.

for right now, you can mine on komodo testnet for testnet coins using CPU
Activity: 666
Merit: 500
Silly question: PoW uses miners to mine. dPoW is mineable too with miners like SHA256 or Scrypt?
legendary
Hi all!

I have read the thread and you guys seems to have good package with Komodo and there was lot of things that I liked. Although few concerns came up to my mind. I know the whitepaper is not ready yet, but maybe somebody have info already.

- Scalability
If thinking about further, and larger adoption of Komodo usage, how it will handle the rising transaction amounts?
Is it dependent to Bitcoin scalability? Everybody knows it's going to be slow process to scale that platform up.

Dependency with zcash:
So if something goes wrong with the zcash development, and it don't get ready any time soon, it's going to delay the release of Komodo mainnet also, right? In my view, there's discussions about zcash platform and will it be the right thing to do.

I understood that all of those 90% of KMD will be sold for BTC/BTCD investors, but how do you guys know how much KMD:s will be given to BTC investors, since you don't know how many BTCD owners will swap in 1 year swapping period? Or do you plan to wait 1 year and then share the percents, when we know how much to give BTC investors and how many to BTCD swappers?

James I have another question.
There are going to be 100 million KMD for ICO
Let's say (in simple way) there are 1000 people who give 1 BTC each. Will they get 100,000 KMD each (100 million / 1000)
and if there are 30000 people who give 1 BTC each they get 3333 KMD each?

In other words all of those 100 million will go to those who buy?

90 % of the Komodo coins are distributed to investors (BTC+BTCD)
10 % will be reserved for development, advisers and bounties

So yes, you got the basic idea! The supply is fixed, but we don't know yet how much money Komodo raises.

I have factored in bitcoin scalability issues by budgeting significantly increased txfees. So if bitcoin cant manage to increase to 2MB blocksize, then we just pay higher fees. Since komodo will then be doing the bitcoin notarization, other chains/users of dPoW via komodo wont have to worry about the bitcoin side. So komodo should actually moderate the bitcoin scaling problem.

zcash has a beta release now and the other day I made a komodo testnet based on it. Of course if zcash team decides to delay for whatever reason, I would defer to their judgement. They are one very sharp team. While this does create a bit of uncertainity as to when the mainnet can be released, it does justify the early bird bonuses.

We will assume all the BTCD will be redeemed. If after a year it isnt, it would just go into working capital
Activity: 364
Merit: 100
Hi all!

I have read the thread and you guys seems to have good package with Komodo and there was lot of things that I liked. Although few concerns came up to my mind. I know the whitepaper is not ready yet, but maybe somebody have info already.

- Scalability
If thinking about further, and larger adoption of Komodo usage, how it will handle the rising transaction amounts?
Is it dependent to Bitcoin scalability? Everybody knows it's going to be slow process to scale that platform up.

Dependency with zcash:
So if something goes wrong with the zcash development, and it don't get ready any time soon, it's going to delay the release of Komodo mainnet also, right? In my view, there's discussions about zcash platform and will it be the right thing to do.

James I have another question.
There are going to be 100 million KMD for ICO
Let's say (in simple way) there are 1000 people who give 1 BTC each. Will they get 100,000 KMD each (100 million / 1000)
and if there are 30000 people who give 1 BTC each they get 3333 KMD each?

In other words all of those 100 million will go to those who buy?

90 % of the Komodo coins are distributed to investors (BTC+BTCD)
10 % will be reserved for development, advisers and bounties

So yes, you got the basic idea! The supply is fixed, but we don't know yet how much money Komodo raises.

legendary
I'm reading the cryptonote white paper.  How does Komodo differ in security than say Monero?  Please help my understanding.
The anon set for ring signatures is 3 to 10 depending on the setting, which allows a statistical correlation to be created.

zcash anon set is 2^28, which is orders of magnitude larger and makes any statistical correlation meaningless.

That is the privacy aspect.

As far as security, komodo will use bitcoin blockchain to notarize its blockhashes, so its security will be comparable to bitcoins as long as you wait for the blockhash to be notarized. I dont know the comparable hashrate of monero, but compared to > exahash of bitcoin, I doubt it comes close
Jump to: