Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Android key rotation - page 13. (Read 66313 times)

Activity: 672
Merit: 500
August 11, 2013, 01:16:20 PM
If an address is generated by a computer or other source, and then imported into a blockchain wallet, is it still vulnerable?

I think only if it's generated by Android.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
August 11, 2013, 01:15:01 PM
If an address is generated by a computer or other source, and then imported into a blockchain wallet, is it still vulnerable?

I ask because of change addresses.
legendary
Activity: 905
Merit: 1000
August 11, 2013, 01:12:49 PM
a component of Android responsible for generating secure random numbers contains critical weaknesses

Thank you.
Activity: 668
Merit: 501
August 11, 2013, 01:07:56 PM
If you are using Mycelium Wallet, a fix has been published to the play store (still pending review) and to mycelium.com

if you download it from mycelium.com, you can check the sha1sum

Code:
dba000cad4cbf94a7b4c621f57482322c0a96678  mbw-v0.6.5.apk

There will be a wizard guiding you through the process in an upcoming version, but for now, you can simply download version 0.6.5 (or greater) and move the keys to newly generated addresses.

• generate a new key
  • backup this key (to sdcard or similar)
  • manually send funds to the new secure address.
  • move your empty old key to the Archive category

Please take care. The most likely chance of lost bitcoins is the loss of private keys. Don't use our wallet without a backup of the keys.
Activity: 393
Merit: 250
August 11, 2013, 12:58:59 PM
Just wondering, would this affect Electrum as well?

http://electrum.org/android.html
Activity: 875
Merit: 1003
August 11, 2013, 12:56:51 PM
Thank god I have an iPhone Smiley
August 11, 2013, 12:57:06 PM
Thank god I have an iPhone Smiley

I don't even have a smartphone ;P
legendary
Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354
aka tonikt
August 11, 2013, 12:56:12 PM
done and done, thanks to you and this community for such watchfulness and timeliness with these kinds of issues.
You're joking, aren't you? Smiley

This post is over one month old, while this one over half a year...
Watchfulness my ass Smiley
August 11, 2013, 12:52:23 PM
Oh wow, I'm glad all the warnings are spreading so quickly, everyone has to be informed ASAP.
Activity: 156
Merit: 100
August 11, 2013, 12:51:37 PM
Thanks for the heads up.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112
August 11, 2013, 12:50:36 PM
Oh dear. Thanks for the update.
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
You are not special.
August 11, 2013, 12:50:16 PM
This is very useful information. Thanks for the announcement.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
August 11, 2013, 12:45:00 PM
done and done, thanks to you and this community for such watchfulness and timeliness with these kinds of issues.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
August 11, 2013, 12:19:21 PM
Here are the rollout statuses of each wallet I'm aware of:

Bitcoin Wallet by Andreas Schildbach

An update has been prepared and is now rolling out on the play store. When you are notified, let the app update and the rest will happen automatically. Learn more.

BitcoinSpinner / Mycelium Wallet

An update has been prepared for Mycelium Wallet and is being pushed out via the Play Store. If you use BitcoinSpinner you are encouraged to upgrade to Mycelium Wallet, which is maintained by the same people.

blockchain.info wallet

An update is on the Play Store that will walk you through the key rotation process when you open it. Upgrade immediately and follow the on screen instructions.

Please note that apps where you don't control the private keys at all are not affected. For example, exchange frontends like the Coinbase or Mt Gox apps are not impacted by this issue because the private keys are not generated or controlled by you at all.

Basic rule of thumb - if you'd lose the money if the phone/tablet were destroyed (assuming no backups), and that device is an Android device, then you need to upgrade ASAP.

For blockchain.info wallets, even if the keys were generated on a desktop/laptop computer or iPhone, if any payments were made from an Android device, you are also affected. Likewise, if you have imported private keys from elsewhere into an Android wallet and made payments with it, you may also be affected.

I'd like to publicly thank Jean-Pierre Rupp (Xeno-Genesis on this forum) for bringing one of the vulnerabilities to our attention last week. His notification to us about the RSA paper started the effort needed to re-key peoples wallets. I'd also like to thank johoe and BurtW for their investigations into how peoples wallets were being compromised.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
August 11, 2013, 12:19:13 PM
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

http://bitcoin.org/en/alert/2013-08-11-android

We recently learned that a component of Android responsible for generating secure random numbers contains critical weaknesses, that render all Android wallets generated to date vulnerable to theft. Because the problem lies with Android itself, this problem will affect you if you have a wallet generated by any Android app. An incomplete list would be Bitcoin Wallet, blockchain.info wallet, BitcoinSpinner and Mycelium Wallet.

In order to re-secure existing wallets, key rotation is necessary. This involves generating a new address with a repaired random number generator and then sending all the money in your wallet back to yourself. If you use an Android wallet then we strongly recommended you upgrade to the latest version available in the Play Store as soon as one becomes available. Once your wallet is rotated, you will need to contact anyone who has stored addresses generated by your phone and give them a new one.

If you use Bitcoin Wallet by Andreas Schildbach, key rotation will occur automatically soon after you upgrade. The old addresses will be marked as insecure in your address book. You will need to make a fresh backup.

Updates for other wallet apps should be released shortly.

Some technical details of what exactly has gone wrong inside Android will be released once the upgrade process is reasonably compete. I will keep track of the upgrade status of each wallet app I know about in the post below.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Comment: GPGTools - http://gpgtools.org

iQEcBAEBCgAGBQJSB7jRAAoJEPLkhhyZiIFvpk8IAI34L0HsEj5wztFl18jQxj74
svaY+eY1mwgWZjjyZlCRlP42B3u5zF2jlh2+taRgM9DaXlECqa3euGe+EmHWirTU
HTTNNg2ZFf7jvruUZ2tanl4Sv34/q/q8w81zL6uJAKK98ZBWuMQ9oPghW1erCAHv
Ke5eoLzGdnwpAN817SLGL2iUgwMpJLu7Jx2HEhF2Yz7Yl1+ScLHzlXSZP65BlpI7
lNeJweQsC0PHPnumde/UIRdcTQqhciY/0xM7HHyrrn00AW56vu4l+/Hb9Mr9rpds
Rx2UEvFXQ5KWX7e8E3+Wx2Rs/w5cYRwwsfzwWIYkoZaJ3ssaPaYAEr5YMO1bz24=
=AFBd
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Pages:
Jump to: