Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Android key rotation - page 3. (Read 66313 times)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
August 19, 2013, 11:21:17 AM
So, does this only affect Android wallets (Private Keys) generated by the Android wallet apps, or would my BTC address which I already had and then added to the blockchain wallet app also be affected? I hope not, cause I like keeping the same address for Public use, and then moving the BTC into my private addresses, never revealing public keys or addresses.

It only affects addresses/keys that are generated on Android.
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
SudoSuRootDev... AKA... AllBiznessMan
August 19, 2013, 11:08:40 AM
So, does this only affect Android wallets (Private Keys) generated by the Android wallet apps, or would my BTC address which I already had and then added to the blockchain wallet app also be affected? I hope not, cause I like keeping the same address for Public use, and then moving the BTC into my private addresses, never revealing public keys or addresses.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
August 16, 2013, 12:15:30 AM
Good luck patching Android with third parties between Google and your phone.
It bet Cyanogenmod users get access to the patches first.
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
August 16, 2013, 12:14:18 AM
Quit generating randomness, and get back to the topic. I read in the news that Google has acknowledged the problem, and recommends developers use dev/(u)rand. Good luck patching Android with third parties between Google and your phone.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
legendary
Activity: 905
Merit: 1000
August 14, 2013, 08:14:47 PM
You should make your own hardware for pulling random data for your coins. Something like a geiger counter near a radiation source. Now that would be truly the best source for truly random data.

(Unless if you distrust the laws of physics  Cheesy )

I would have, but at the time, I was fresh out of radioactive material. Maybe next time.

dismantle a smoke detector

Or a bowl of brazil nuts

Formerly known as ...
Activity: 518
Manateeeeeeees
August 14, 2013, 08:03:32 PM
You should make your own hardware for pulling random data for your coins. Something like a geiger counter near a radiation source. Now that would be truly the best source for truly random data.

I would have, but at the time, I was fresh out of radioactive material. Maybe next time.

Actually, you can just push a transistor into avalanche - it only take a few discrete components:

http://holdenc.altervista.org/avalanche/
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000
August 14, 2013, 05:05:21 PM

Or a bowl of brazil nuts
legendary
Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198
This is not OK.
August 14, 2013, 03:02:52 PM

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
August 14, 2013, 02:21:46 PM
Pick up some banana from the grocery store next time.
Activity: 763
August 14, 2013, 01:54:57 PM

instead of *radio*active material, you can use *radio*waves. just tune in a lower kHz frequency where a lot of noise from the earth's atmosphere is audible. that's one of the sources providers like random.org use. i guess it's pretty easy to get this running and then pulling the bytes from the A/D converter of your soundcard.
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
August 14, 2013, 01:27:18 PM

August 14, 2013, 12:50:30 PM
@casascius: do you know about this page: http://www.random.org/bytes/ ? that could also be a source, which could replace the mouse-moving-timestamp thing because it comes from an external source.

Sure, though I have every reason to believe their bytes are truly random, for security purposes, I don't.  When I generate keys, the machine doesn't have internet access anyway, so I suppose it's just an alternative (sub)string to paste as a response to the "keyboard mash" if I want to copy it in with a flash drive etc.

You may be missing the point here. There is more than enough entropy available in a phone or a PC. The problem is with human errors when coding and otherwise implementing the RNG. In this case, lazy Google employees who copy-pasted broken Apache code without reviewing it, and didn't even bother fixing it or rewriting the documentation when some of the flaws were made public half a year ago.
Building your own hardware, by yourself, will likely lead to more errors.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
August 14, 2013, 12:36:42 PM
very quick。
It would be a huge problem if it wasn't quick enough.

So, I think it's a huge problem, check the date of this post:
http://www.nilsschneider.net/2013/01/28/recovering-bitcoin-private-keys.html

This was known for even longer. The news was discovery of weakness in apache harmony RNG used by android.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
August 14, 2013, 11:43:07 AM
@casascius: do you know about this page: http://www.random.org/bytes/ ? that could also be a source, which could replace the mouse-moving-timestamp thing because it comes from an external source.

Sure, though I have every reason to believe their bytes are truly random, for security purposes, I don't.  When I generate keys, the machine doesn't have internet access anyway, so I suppose it's just an alternative (sub)string to paste as a response to the "keyboard mash" if I want to copy it in with a flash drive etc.

August 14, 2013, 11:33:25 AM
very quick。

That post is unrelated to issues on Android.

It definitely is related to the exploit. And this one is also related, and was presented to the public almost half a year ago. Granted, it appears that android securerandom is broken beyond what is described in the RSA 2013 paper.

Jan
legendary
Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002
August 14, 2013, 08:46:10 AM
very quick。

What this blog post doesn't tell is that in this particular instance the repeated use of the same K value was on purpose.
When making unit tests it is often desirable to be able to create results that can be repeated. By reusing the same K value you get the same signature, which is valuable during development. I know the developer in for this instance, and no, it is not me.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
August 14, 2013, 08:36:52 AM
That post is unrelated to issues on Android.
Activity: 101
Merit: 10
August 14, 2013, 07:38:33 AM
very quick。

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
August 14, 2013, 06:30:58 AM
pseudo random number generation used in security systems is nothing more than *security through obscurity*
Pages:
Jump to: