Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Electrum - Lightweight Bitcoin Client - page 13. (Read 274485 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
How can I decrypt message?

~~MZ~~
Activity: 360
Merit: 250
CEO, Ledger
I have seen that Electrum dropped the BIP39 compatibility (seed mnemonic).
Any reason why?

https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/commit/f8fbce12431cde3fb40ce01908ce9b8d96a6c913
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000
Peoples, do you have any problem with electrum wallet? For my is very slow working also nearly every transaction I sending I get like frozen not responding and after maybe 5 sec back to normal. And its every time. Also time to time balance is not showing.
legendary
Activity: 942
Merit: 1026
When is next update? Will there be guide on using BTCChip with Electrum?

~~MZ~~

I'm also interested in this.

any ETA for next version  Huh

Already done. Just install python and then download zip from github. Run electrum

~~MZ~~
Ok. maybe I'll try.
but what I meant is:
when will there be the stable release with windows-installer for noobs like me  Wink

~~MZ~~

any ETA for next version  Huh

Already done. Just install python and then download zip from github. Run electrum

~~MZ~~
legendary

~~MZ~~

any ETA for next version  Huh
Activity: 729
Merit: 500
Small feature request for the Windows client.  It would be nice if I could reduce the window, and have it appear in the tools area and not the taskbar.  QT has that option.  I like keeping it hidden on the work PC in the corner, rather than in plain view on the taskbar.

Thanks!

you currently CAN do this:
1. while Electrum is open right click on its icon in the toolbar (i mean round blue electrum icon near your clock)
2. click show/hide to minimize it to toolbar and remove from taskbar

Ah, very cool.  Thanks for the info!
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
Small feature request for the Windows client.  It would be nice if I could reduce the window, and have it appear in the tools area and not the taskbar.  QT has that option.  I like keeping it hidden on the work PC in the corner, rather than in plain view on the taskbar.

Thanks!

you currently CAN do this:
1. while Electrum is open right click on its icon in the toolbar (i mean round blue electrum icon near your clock)
2. click show/hide to minimize it to toolbar and remove from taskbar
Activity: 729
Merit: 500

Thanks!
legendary

~~MZ~~

Activity: 43
Merit: 0
Can we Diceware the Electrum word list? I mean I prefer to use real dices to the computer's random number generator to give me my words.

This script is using random numbers from dice, hashed random strings and computer generated random numbers. All random numbers are mixed using bitwise XOR.

Here is "Diceware" for Electrum 1.x. The disadvantage is you should "throw away" most of the random numbers (because there are 1625 words but all possible random numbers made with 5 dice rolls are 7776).

If you have 5 dice, you should roll them about 5 times for every random word you need (you roll them until you get valid senary number - the probability of getting the valid senary number is 20%). This is the price you pay for not using computer.

This works only with Electrum 1.x because 2.x is using checksums.
Activity: 336
Feature request....

I know the new version is on its way so it might be too late to incorporate this but maybe for a future update - Please make it possible to sort the contacts section by clicking on the column headers. Currently all contacts are stored as they are entered and when dealing with a large number of contacts it can become a real pain to find the right one if they are not alphabetical and or sorted by their keys.
Activity: 475
Merit: 252
Hello,

do you think that the feature of import private keys from wallet.dat would be appreciated by users? Export keys from Bitcoin Core  is not noob-proof

Bitcoin Core wallet.dat has hundreds of hidden addresses in a "pool" of addresses.

Importing the entire wallet would take a long time, and could swamp your Electrum wallet with keys that are not able to be backed up by your seed phrase.

This is why it is better for the user to send their bitcoins to a newly created Electrum wallet.

A "noob" type person would probably think that "oh, ok, now I have imported my wallet.dat, I can just remember this 12 word phrase and delete my wallet, right? *deletes*"

No one wants something like that to happen, so just send.

~~MZ~~
Hello,

do you think that the feature of import private keys from wallet.dat would be appreciated by users? Export keys from Bitcoin Core  is not noob-proof

Is it better to dump private keys and then import it than importing directly from wallet.dat? I don't think it is needed.

~~MZ~~
Activity: 142
Merit: 104
Hello,

Activity: 475
Merit: 252
Can we Diceware the Electrum word list? I mean I prefer to use real dices to the computer's random number generator to give me my words.

All you need is a 6 sided die. Then do the below.

Be careful though. Electrum console records every command input to it. So to prevent it writing the command to your hard disk (effectively writing your seed to the hard disk unencrypted)

Find /gui/qt/console.py file in your electrum install folder. Then go to line # 147

Code:
def addToHistory(self, command):
    if command.find("importprivkey") > -1 or True:   # <<<< add " or True" to this line (This is line 147)
        return

if command and (not self.history or self.history[-1] != command):
        self.history.append(command)
    self.history_index = len(self.history)

That will disable Electrum writing to Hard Disk all the commands.

Then here is how you generate your own seed.

Code:
Roll dice 53 times, write down each result (writing "0" for every 6 rolled) as a 53 digit long number
with only the digits 0-5. Then input the following lines of code in the electrum console:

>> from electrum import mnemonic
>> ' '.join(mnemonic.mn_encode(("%032X" % (int('01234501234501234501234501234501234501234501234501234',6)%(2**128)))))

(replace the 012345012345 etc with your actual dice rolls)
(note you need to input "from electrum import mnemonic" first then hit enter. After that do the second line I wrote)

Edit: I borrowed the text of the second part from a reddit post based off of something I said in IRC.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2akdl5/howto_use_your_own_dice_rolls_to_generate_an/
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

An electrum seed consists of 32 hexadecimal digits. So just follow this guide to generate them:

http://world.std.com/~reinhold/dicewarefaq.html#hexadecimal

Then use the restore wallet function and paste in the hex. After the wallet has been created you can click on the seed icon on the bottom right to see the mnemonic.
Activity: 77
Merit: 13

Should work in theory. You just have to come up with a mapping from dice results to electrum's word list. Once you've got a set of 12 words, try putting it into the restore wallet dialog and see if it works.
Activity: 302
Pages:
Jump to: