Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Elqnt -- Anonymous Peer-to-Peer Bitcoin Exchange - page 3. (Read 7298 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Will you be building any mobile apps (Android, iOS)?
Activity: 41
Merit: 0
Technically very interesting!

Thanks! 

Any thoughts on functionality improvements or feature requests?
How is this different from Napster?  They have a centralized server that connected peers to each other...I think.

It's basically identical in regards to networking typography.

The way in which we're different is that our servers only do two things:

1) Maintain a list of active peers (ie - peers currently with browser windows open) by client generated ID ONLY.  
All of the rest of the data (price, rate, location, chat, etc.) is directly transmitted between peers and never touches our servers.  It's also all encrypted peer-to-peer to help against surveillance.  We also have checks in place to prevent ID spoofing.  

2) Serve the necessary static HTML + JS files.  We've built the exchange in Ember.js so structurally it's basically a self-contained browser based app that only communicates between the mapping server (soon to be in-house as well, today possibly...), peer server, and other peers -- all encrypted.

Lastly, we've open sourced both the peer server and Elqnt itself to give everyone a chance to dig into the code and audit it for security vulnerabilities and also contribute back.
The site doesn't load for me.

Well shoot...could be a couple things:

We've been doing some pretty heavy server modification over the past couple of days with our new in-house server, so you might have caught the site in one of those periods.  I try to keep our twitter -- @elqntdotorg -- updated regularly with a heads up to downtime.

Also, if you're using anything other than Chrome or Chromium, we've blocked the exchange due to compatibility.  WebRTC is implemented in the stable release of Chrome currently making it much easier to maintain on our end.  FF has it implemented in the nightly release, but some stuff is still not quite stable, so we're holding on support until things have stabilized.  Doubt support for anything else (besides maybe Opera) is coming anytime soon.  Most of this support hinges on which browser has implemented WebRTC and to what degree of effort we have to apply to make it work in our system w/ browser quirks.

Lastly, give it another shot.  Should be back up, if not, could be a bigger issue.

legendary
Activity: 1304
Merit: 1015
How is this different from Napster?  They have a centralized server that connected peers to each other...I think.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129
The site doesn't load for me.
Activity: 378
Merit: 255
Technically very interesting!
I'm excited to announce Elqnt! - An anonymous, P2P, Bitcoin Exchange -- https://secure.elqnt.org/

Keep an eye on this post, as we use this for the most up-to-date info, with subsequent posts being used to answer question/discuss, highlight certain info, and to house an archive of content.

== Overview ==

Elqnt is a decentralized + anonymous + peer-to-peer Bitcoin exchange.

White Paper -- https://git.thebody.io/elqnt/whitepaper/blob/master/whitepaper.md

== Updates ==
12/8/13
We've recently taken a completely new tact with the technologies that have been developed thus far -- resulting in a massively different service, but with the result of providing a substantially more beneficial platform to all those involved.

We've written up a white paper to detail how the new incarnation of the exchange will function -- https://git.thebody.io/elqnt/whitepaper/blob/master/whitepaper.md

== Donate ==
We are intentially not actively seeking institutional investment due to the conflict of interest around user data collection.  We believe this data is yours and yours along; thus, we want to place ourselves in a position of only having 'useless' data such that even if compelled, we hold nothing of value re: identifiable user data.
Because of this, the project has thus far been funded primarily by the individuals involved, but we will need donations or revenue to continue meaningful development going forward.

Please donate if you like this idea and want to see it happen!

https://git.thebody.io/elqnt/whitepaper/raw/master/donate-qr.png
17ost3nMZoGHYmNud4Qer7fybb782UCwDH

== Contact Info ==

Twitter: @elqntdotorg
E-mail: [email protected]

We would love thoughts, feedback, insight, and anything constructive to continually grow + improve the project!
Pages:
Jump to: