Pages:
Author

Topic: [Announce] Project Quixote - BitShares, BitNames and 'BitMessage' - page 14. (Read 48264 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 566
fractally
Can we design it such that the cross-chain transactions will interface blockchains using competing protocols (e.g. no dividends)?

I think yes?

So then I can launch a slightly different protocol, but we can share much code?
Cross-chain transactions are compatible with Bitcoin.    After much work I was unable to create an efficient, secure, means of having 'one currency' with a 'fixed supply' split among multiple chains without allowing a 51% attack on one chain to steal 100% of the value stored on that chain.   So all cross-chain transactions work like https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Atomic_cross-chain_trading

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
black swan hunter
Just to be clear:  Only the BitShares ID and BitShares Mail system will be released in beta at C3.   Rushing a crypto-currency to market without ample testing and review is something we want to avoid.   That said, a large part of the BitShares blockchain has already been defined including the transaction types.   I have even generated and validated 5 blocks to prove the basic behavior as a crypto-currency with dividends.  You can view my debug block-explorer output: http://the-iland.net/static/chain.html for an example of how the numbers work.    Anyway, just showing you that we have a plan and will be systematically rolling it out as time permits.

Do you have a planned date when mining will start? I thought it also was this fall, maybe I misread something.

Also, will the mining code be available to test mining prior to the actual start?

Finally, how do the current investors plan on earning a return on their investment in Bitshares?

Thought I'd ask again since I think the questions got lost in all the economics discussion. This has a large impact on my mining approach and timing.
Activity: 518
Merit: 521
Can we design it such that the cross-chain transactions will interface blockchains using competing protocols (e.g. no dividends)?

I think yes?

So then I can launch a slightly different protocol, but we can share much code?
I would probably come on board as a coder, if you let me contribute Scala code (I would try to code faster than you, hehe so more code would be Scala than C++). Then I would be responsible for integrating with the C++ code and teaching you Scala. Doesn't sound realistic, so perhaps I have to be a bystander. I don't think you want to ship and require the Java Virtual Machine to be installed. Can't force my will on the majority here.

Maybe I can write a Scala version of your code in parallel, e.g. Bitcoin has a bitcoinj version of the client. I am contemplating my options now.

I have a strong desire for the 'protocol' to be open and not defined by an 'implementation' like bitcoin.   Having a parallel code-base would force us to produce a detailed spec independent of any implementation and resolve many problems faced by using Bitcoin Qt as the 'defacto standard definition'.  

It is encouraging to me to see that you have evaluated the idea and found it worth investing your time in creating an implementation.

As I said from the start, there is a lot innovation here that I am interested in.

But I don't agree with every design decision you are making.

So I am trying to think of how we can help each other reach our respective goals, with the least disruption of our respective scarce time.

Modularity comes to my mind. There may be modules of functionality we agree on.

Also HIGH-LATENCY mix-net is crucial. You haven't mentioned it at all.
Not mentioned in detail in the white paper, BitShares also enable options trading.

Options work like this:
Suppose I have $100 BitUSD
I will give you the option to Buy them for 1 BTS any time in the next 1 month (a specific block number).
In exchange for that option, you would give me .01 BTS today.
You of course would not exercise that option until the price was above 1 BTS.
In order to exercise the option, you must send me 1 BTS to claim the 100 BitUSD.

The 100 BitUSD are 'locked' in the blockchain for the duration of the option.  After the deadline, if they have not been claimed then I can spend them normally.

So in addition to shorts/longs, options provide another way to speculate.

Those are asymmetric again.

Your options don't appear to create symmetric demand for the BitAsset in the same way as my proposal does, because one side has to put up much more capital than the other?

As for your claim of asymmetric motivations between short/long positions this is not a problem because it would be accounted for in the price which would be slightly biased.

Note:  the goal isn't price parity, it is exchange rate hedging.   So 1 BitUSD will be worth more than 1 USD almost all of the time.  How much more depends upon relative expectations of future dividend rates.

I understood that already from the white paper.

Why do you think they will only be slightly biased? I am concerned that asymmetry is pernicious, meaning I expect there is no equilibrium.

Why do you think otherwise?

Having symmetric options on your asymmetric asset, might stabilize it.
fractally
I would probably come on board as a coder, if you let me contribute Scala code (I would try to code faster than you, hehe so more code would be Scala than C++). Then I would be responsible for integrating with the C++ code and teaching you Scala. Doesn't sound realistic, so perhaps I have to be a bystander. I don't think you want to ship and require the Java Virtual Machine to be installed. Can't force my will on the majority here.

Maybe I can write a Scala version of your code in parallel, e.g. Bitcoin has a bitcoinj version of the client. I am contemplating my options now.

I have a strong desire for the 'protocol' to be open and not defined by an 'implementation' like bitcoin.   Having a parallel code-base would force us to produce a detailed spec independent of any implementation and resolve many problems faced by using Bitcoin Qt as the 'defacto standard definition'. 

It is encouraging to me to see that you have evaluated the idea and found it worth investing your time in creating an implementation.
fractally
Not mentioned in detail in the white paper, BitShares also enable options trading.

Options work like this:
Suppose I have $100 BitUSD
I will give you the option to Buy them for 1 BTS any time in the next 1 month (a specific block number).
In exchange for that option, you would give me .01 BTS today.
You of course would not exercise that option until the price was above 1 BTS.
In order to exercise the option, you must send me 1 BTS to claim the 100 BitUSD.

The 100 BitUSD are 'locked' in the blockchain for the duration of the option.  After the deadline, if they have not been claimed then I can spend them normally.

So in addition to shorts/longs, options provide another way to speculate.

As for your claim of asymmetric motivations between short/long positions this is not a problem because it would be accounted for in the price which would be slightly biased.

Note:  the goal isn't price parity, it is exchange rate hedging.   So 1 BitUSD will be worth more than 1 USD almost all of the time.  How much more depends upon relative expectations of future dividend rates.

One of the design goals was having something people could 'hold' long term and would be suitable for non-speculators to transact in. 
Fungibility of positions was also important.
Having the ability to derive meaningful price information for automatic margin calls / settlement.

Re-read mine. I think I just described options on your BitAsset?

All of that said, your approach would work to some extent assuming you had a settlement method.

I was editing my post while you were reading it. Re-read the last part about settlement. It is same as for your design.

Seems these options will add symmetric supply and demand for your design, thus helping to track the price of the designated asset?
fractally
Activity: 82
Merit: 10
Interesting project.  I'm very excited to watch it develop.

If you guys are looking for a user interface designer, I might consider it.
My latest in-development project: http://kryptotrader.com
fractally
One of the design goals was having something people could 'hold' long term and would be suitable for non-speculators to transact in. 
Fungibility of positions was also important.
Having the ability to derive meaningful price information for automatic margin calls / settlement.

All of that said, your approach would work to some extent assuming you had a settlement method.
cunicula is correct, BitAssets will go to 0.

It is very easy to explain. Both the short and the long have an incentive to ask and bid (respectively) a lower price. Both seller and buyer want a lower price (at the moment they transact). Period.

Short wants to sell for a lower price, so he is protected on the downside. Long wants to buy for a lower price, so he can gain more on the upside.

If I am going to go short, I want to sell for as high a price as possible because I have borrowed the asset and will have to buy back at a lower price in the future.     Thus the foundation of the rest of your conjecture that BitAssets will go to 0 is gone.

Damn, I brain farted (in bed), inverted my logic on long needs higher price, short needs lower price (trying to do too many things at same time).

Okay excellent. Now I can excited about BitAssets again.

So then I continue with the thought process I was doing to redesign BitAssets to make symmetric the stochastic range of preferences on both sides, long and short.

If instead of borrowing to go short, both short and long put their collateral as backing for the BitAsset, and they agree to subtract the (L x) movement in price (higher from short, lower from long) from their half of the collateral and give it to the other party. Then they can agree to any term of contract expiration. We can even support leverage, by making L > 1.

Example, if short ask and long bid meet at 1 BitUSD for 10 BitShares. They both put up 10 BitShares of collateral. If L = 1, and at the end of the agreed expiration, the market price for 1 BitUSD is 6 BitShares, then the long gives 4 of his collateral to the short, and the BitUSD (BitAsset) is retired. (Problem: how do we determine market price?)

My expectation is that by balancing it this way, instead of your current asymmetric design (your design short gets margin, but long never does and no expiration date), then the shorter-term expirations will much more closely track the value of the designated BitAsset.

Why?

1. Both long and short have a balanced set time preference.

2. Shorter-term positions remove the secular trend of the designated asset from the equation.

3. The short and long are more frequently renewing their positions in the market place of bid / ask, thus resetting their target price to the current real-time price of the designated asset.

The problem with my design above as compared to bytemaster's design is that there is no buying of a BitUSD to cover, thus there isn't a 1-to-1 trade for each covering. Rather my design expects a "market price", but such doesn't really exist.

So let's fix my design.

My solution is in the above example, the long must buy a BitUSD and give it to the short. The long keeps the remainder of his collateral, plus takes 2 BitShares from the short's collateral. This is done automatically by the miner of the block. Note this is what I originally thought BitAssets were designed to do. I later learned from bytemaster's example upthread, that his design is asymmetric. In this case, leverage can still be paid out, by giving the appropriate calculation of collateral to the short, along with the BitUSD.

But my design still has a problem. The BitUSD the long buys can't be one that expires. So this creates N classes of each BitAsset, one for non-expiration, and N-1 others for different expiration terms. But how does the BitUSD with no expiration get created? We are back to bytemaster's design in order to create the BitUSD with unlimited expiration time. So what have I just described? Options on the BitAsset?

The asymmetric design has the advantage that the long can hold his/her position indefinitely. Both designs could be offered in the system.

Can anyone make any other observations of ramifications between my design and bytemaster's design for BitAssets?
fractally
cunicula is correct, BitAssets will go to 0.

It is very easy to explain. Both the short and the long have an incentive to ask and bid (respectively) a lower price. Both seller and buyer want a lower price (at the moment they transact). Period.

Short wants to sell for a lower price, so he is protected on the downside. Long wants to buy for a lower price, so he can gain more on the upside.

If I am going to go short, I want to sell for as high a price as possible because I have borrowed the asset and will have to buy back at a lower price in the future.     Thus the foundation of the rest of your conjecture that BitAssets will go to 0 is gone.
P.S. There is very high quality of discussion in this thread. Participants are very astute thus far.

true, but to be honest, I'm lost since page 6. this is too deep for the average person to follow, if you just want information/status on the project.

How about you open a bitmessage channel for this conversation?

This is a Bitcoin Forum > Bitcoin > Project Development thread. Thus, I assume it is for developers to discuss how to get the design correct.

I suggest bytemaster can start a thread in Bitcoin Forum > Bitcoin > Alternate Cryptocurrencies, if he wants to present a less technical thread.

There needs to be some place for us to discuss the deep issues on this proposal.

For example, what is the point of bytemaster telling you BitAssets are wonderful (putting the cart before the horse so to speak), when I have very simply proven upthread they will go to 0 value.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000
P.S. There is very high quality of discussion in this thread. Participants are very astute thus far.

true, but to be honest, I'm lost since page 6. this is too deep for the average person to follow, if you just want information/status on the project.

How about you open a bitmessage channel for this conversation?
I debated Antal Fekete about this in private email a few years ago.

If there weren't fractional reserves, then why were there massive bank runs and panics, that led to JP Morgan bailing out the system in the late 1800s?

I forget all my logic about Real Bills, but I don't think they stopped fractional reserves at the private banks. I think Real Bills is all smoke and mirrors. The M2 still increased by 5% per annum. I supplied the link to the data in prior post.

black swan hunter
Per Adam Smith's Real Bills Doctrine, there wasn't really inflation during the 1800s. The private bank notes were backed by gold and bills of exchange held by the issuing banks. The bills were 90 day notes representing goods in production. The amount of bills in circulation reflected the level of economic activity. Thus, money supply could expand and contract to match the level of economic activity. The British Empire also thrived and expanded under this system.
The context of the discussion was I explained that Keynes(ism) never proposed to run deficits year-after-year, yet the failure of Keynesism is he assumed government was rational and self-limiting.

Agreed, but don't conflate and then assume it is because of a gold standard that the 1800s were more prosperous. They were because the USA was a frontier and the government was less than 10-20% of the GDP (now is it roughly 60 - 80% if include cost of complying with regulation and local govts, especially when the $5 trillion per year unfunded liability deficit is considered).

And don't conflate and say that inflation is bad. It is centralized inflation that is bad, because it helps to build the government. Decentralized inflation is absolutely necessary, M2 and nominal GDP grew by 5% per annum since 1790 in the USA. Without inflation, you can't grow the economy. The USA never had ONLY gold and silver as money, there were always fractional receipts from private banks. It was the decentralized nature (private banks making fractional receipts for gold) of the debasement that made the USA great during the 1800s. The downfall was that the receipts were fractional reserves. This allowed JP Morgan to bail out the Treasury and bankers took over the government by 1913. The decentralized digital currencies solve this problem, but Bitcoin has a flaw in that debasement stops (very bad).

Please read the math:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2895021

And more discussion on that (follow the sub-links too):

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2930843
black swan hunter
Right - Keynes advocated trying to level out the boom-bust cycle with government spending financed by government debt to stimulate the economy by reducing unemployment. Herbert Hoover tried and failed with this at the beginning of the Depression with a slew of public works projects(think Hoover Dam). People think FDR started this with WPA and New Deal, but it actually started much sooner under Hoover, ending with a mass panic and bank run.

My understanding is even Armstrong points out that attempts to counter business cycles with manipulation of the economy is futile and just exacerbates the problem. The panics prior to the Great Depression were much less severe and only lasted a few years when allowed to resolve on their own.
Pages:
Jump to: