Pages:
Author

Topic: Annual 10% bitcoin dividends if mining were Proof-of-Stake - page 2. (Read 16632 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
Ayn Rand would spin in her grave to hear her ideas spun into a religion. Objectivism is a materialist conception.

That much I agree with her about ha ha
It's not all that objective. It's more like Objectiveology now.
ha ha ha
 Cheesy

good one
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
Ayn Rand would spin in her grave to hear her ideas spun into a religion. Objectivism is a materialist conception.

It's not all that objective. It's more like Objectiveology now.

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

If you are truly interested in resolving the tension between social needs and the needs of the individual and maximizing individual autonomy and conceiving a free society there are far better alternatives than fringe conceptions such as objectivism, which is no more than sophistry that leaves humanity chained to a engine of mechanized production that they have no control whatsoever over.  

As long as we're way off topic...

I don't agree at all with this statement. 
Objectivism is a philosophy more honest than most.

Although the higher, spiritual non-linear realities are
beyond its scope, it's epistemology is clear and
straightforward.
[There is] No such thing as inherent rights or free markets. The inclusion of idealistic abstractions into your theorizing is it's weak point IMHO.

If logic and theory is his weakness, does that mean that your ignorance is strength?

The idea that an economy cannot be measured or controlled is nothing more than a pretext for non-regulation of destructive economic behavior. These types of destructive behaviors can emerge in any ideological format, if there is no social pressure to inhibit them.

If we need regulation, force and control to stop destructive behaviour, does that mean that war is peace?

Governments are not the main entity that individuals need to protect themselves from. There are economic entities that are far more powerful and suppressive than any government. Government is merely the interface between these entities and the populace.  

If we need government to control our lives to protect our freedom, does that mean that freedom is slavery?

The three phrases in bold come from George Orwell's novel 1984.  In fact, they are the chapter titles of the fictitious book The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism used by the Inner Party in Orwell's plot line.  Apparently, this book describes how the Inner Circle promotes "doublethink" to keep the outer party and the proles under control.  Doublethink is the act of ordinary people simultaneously accepting two mutually contradictory beliefs as correct.

I thought it was revealing that the protagonist in 1984, Winston Smith, worked at the Records Department of the Ministry of Truth, and each day he would re-write history to to reflect the "new reality" as dictated by the Inner Party.  What was key to the Inner Party's power was that history was easy to re-write (and it was Winston's job to assist each day in this process).  

In addition to proof-of-work making it difficult to create new coins, I realized today that it also makes it extremely difficult to re-write history.  On the other hand, since no work is required in proof-of-stake (just enough voting power), history can be re-written cheaply and insidiously.

This spiel is ridiculous, I never endorsed government in any way, in fact I'm an anarchist that is pointing out how western civilization is being moved toward the outcome in the novel you reference. We've never been closer to that than we are currently
 Cheesy

I pointed out that governmental entities are not the only ones that engage in destructive "collective" economic behavior and that government is really the interface between corporate power and the population. The real power is behind the government.

Does your distaste for collectivism extend to collective investment by banking cartels and the like? This sector reaps far more government fat that what you seem to be concerned about going to help people that need help because of the neglected state of our society due outright rapine conducted by the corporate sector which has literally destroyed the middle class and working class in this country . Getting rid of government inference in your life is fine and dandy but realistically for that to happen you are going to have to get rid the undue influence over the infrastructure of society itself that is held by a handful of powerful financial and commercial cartels.

That's who is controlling society, government is just one of the tools they use to do it. They also control the content of your education, what you watch on TV, your food and medicine, and even engineered the moral precepts that guide our lives. Political choice in this society is limited to a false dichotomy staged between two pre-determined outcomes represented by two corrupt political parties that are both beholden to the interest I mentioned earlier.

You should check this documentary out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQhEBCWMe44

It shows how nearly all aspects of our society are controlled by a pervasive media influence that infiltrates all aspects of life in our society. The ideas of men like Skinner, Lippman, Bernays, Cameron, and Freud are being used not to create a society better suited for humanity but to re-engineer humanity into a form better suited to being a cog in a mechanized, monetized society.  

If you are truly interested in resolving the tension between social needs and the needs of the individual and maximizing individual autonomy and conceiving a free society there are far better alternatives than fringe conceptions such as objectivism, which is no more than sophistry that leaves humanity chained to a engine of mechanized production that they have no control whatsoever over.  
Activity: 1582
Merit: 253
Sounds a bit like DPOS, except that has no re-delegation
http://bitshares.org/security/delegated-proof-of-stake.php
Activity: 686
Merit: 501
Stephen Reed
Another goodie from the original proof-of-stake thread, in which Mike Hearn talks about forking the blockchain and running experiments. That is my plan for 2015.

By the way, if you're interested in delegated voting, I wrote a paper on using it in a democracy some time ago:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1jidmNJHWAtsPLCUD7EPPm8jOEV93kSXbZOMycqCWOyA

I think delegating voting is a great idea. I'm less convinced that it would work for replacing hashing in the block chain, but it might.

Some more problems for you to consider:

• If I control a key with 10 delegators, then I spend that key to 10 new keys, what happens to the delegations? Does it make sense for a key to have fan-out (ie 1 key to delegate to 10 other keys)? Do you split the value evenly or not?
  • How do you efficiently detect and resolve delegation loops? ie, key A delegates to B, B delegates to C and C then delegates to A? You have to do this efficiently because otherwise setting up new delegations is a way to DoS the system. Note that detecting cycles in a large graph is slow, Tarjans algorithm is O(number of edges). If each key in the system takes part then every new address in the system potentially makes setting up new delegations harder. As the number of keys in the system grows without bound over time, that could be an issue
  • Keys are owned by end users who may or may not know/care about the inner workings of their currency. How do you get new users to delegate appropriately?

It should be possible to run a parallel block chain based on proof-by-stake, but using the same transactions. It could be done with an adapted Bitcoin software. Once such a chain was up and running you could compare the results vs the existing chain.

I don't have the time/energy to do this myself.
legendary
The quality of writing on this thread amazes me.

Sometimes being a bitcoiner makes me feel like an intellectual/scholar lol.

I think it is simply engaging our wits to persuade each other and to learn.

There is something exciting about it, given the presumably historic nature of cryptocurrencies, and the multifaceted complexity of the discussions that encompass everything from politics to economics to psychology, marketing, probability, cryptography, software, hardware, and many other things.

Stephen Reed
Here is the earliest reference that I could find to proof-of-stake, using the search tool of this forum. Care to comment here?

My own first thought is that because non-standard transactions do not become part of the permanent record, I would seek a different means of recording the vote . . .

I've got an idea, and I'm wondering if it's been discussed/ripped apart here yet:

I'm wondering if as bitcoins become more widely distributed, whether a transition from a proof of work based system to a proof of stake one might happen.  What I mean by proof of stake is that instead of your "vote" on the accepted transaction history being weighted by the share of computing resources you bring to the network, it's weighted by the number of bitcoins you can prove you own, using your private keys.

For those that don't want to be actively verifying transactions, and so that not all private keys need to be facing the network, votes could be delegated to other addresses via some kind of nonstandard Bitcoin transaction.  In this way, voting power would accumulate with trusted delegates instead of miners.  New bitcoins and transaction fees could be randomly and periodically distributed to delgates, weighted by the number of votes they've accumulated, thereby incentivising diversity of the delegates and direct voters.

If the implementation could be done, it proved to maintain at least a similar level of privacy and trustworthiness, and it only minimally complicated the UX, I'm thinking that a proof of stake based fork could out-compete a proof of work one due to much lower transaction fees, since its network wouldn't need to support the cost of the miners' computing resources.  (Note that the vote delegation scheme has bandwith/storage overhead that would offset these savings by some amount which would hopefully be relatively small.)

Some other potential improvements this system could offer:
  • Possibly quicker, more definite confirmation of transactions, depending on how it can be implemented.
  • The "voting power" may be more trustworty, since it would accumulate in a bottom-up fashion via a network of trust, instead of in the somewhat arbitrary way it accumulates now.  (Note the potential problem of vote-buying here.)
  • It would remove the physical point of failure of bitcoin mining equipment, which can be confiscated or made illegal to run.
  • It could be used to provide stakeholders a means of making their voices heard (via the delegated voting system it establishes) when it comes to proposals for software updates and protocol changes.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw the idea out here to see if there are any obvious reasons why it couldn't be implemented, and to hopefully spark a discussion amongst those better qualified than me.

Cheers.
Stephen Reed

I think it is simply engaging our wits to persuade each other and to learn. When I read what you write, I think about it, and maybe a few hours later, I think some more.

And when I read Peter_R's comments, I did not exactly laugh out loud, rather I grunted. I studied the book he mentioned before the date of the title. It was then, and remains to this day, a devastating critique of totalitarianism and linguistic legerdemain. Each of those phrases I had forgotten four decades ago - and he brought them back to life.
legendary
If logic and theory is his weakness, does that mean that your ignorance is strength?

If we need regulation, force and control to stop destructive behaviour, does that mean that war is peace?

If we need government to control our lives to protect our freedom, does that mean that freedom is slavery?

In addition to proof-of-work making it difficult to create new coins, I realized today that it also makes it extremely difficult to re-write history.  On the other hand, since no work is required in proof-of-stake (just enough voting power), history can be re-written cheaply and insidiously.  

Stephen Reed

legendary
10% POS is good idea. When will it be added? Smiley

It probably won't be anytime soon. 

You might wanna read the last 20 pages and countless other discussion
threads about Proof of Stake.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
10% POS is good idea. When will it be added? Smiley
Activity: 503

I am postponing my artificial general intelligence R&D for the duration of the Bitcoin proof-of-stake project, which should succeed or fail in 2016.  I believe in the concept of the Technological Singularity, and indeed Bitcoin is a milestone along that path.

AI without bitcoin might be like an automobile without fuel. AI should eventually become the worlds largest employer.

http://www.wired.com/business/2014/02/rise-fall-rise-patrick-byrne/
When I toss that idea at Byrne, he tells me that he’s already thought of it, that it could prevent an entire ecosystem of funds and banks from gaming the market. “It’s like you’re reading my mind,” he says. “You would have an instant, frictionless market, while having the added benefit of wiping out a whole parasitic class of society — that is, the whole financial industry.”

Regarding Patrick Byrne's quote above, I can't think of a more appropriate place for job automation to focus (financial/insurance industry).

legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007
[There is] No such thing as inherent rights or free markets. The inclusion of idealistic abstractions into your theorizing is it's weak point IMHO.

The idea that an economy cannot be measured or controlled is nothing more than a pretext for non-regulation of destructive economic behavior. These types of destructive behaviors can emerge in any ideological format, if there is no social pressure to inhibit them.

Governments are not the main entity that individuals need to protect themselves from. There are economic entities that are far more powerful and suppressive than any government. Government is merely the interface between these entities and the populace.  

The three phrases in bold come from George Orwell's novel 1984.  In fact, they are the chapter titles of the fictitious book The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism used by the Inner Party in Orwell's plot line.  Apparently, this book describes how the Inner Circle promotes "doublethink" to keep the outer party and the proles under control.  Doublethink is the act of ordinary people simultaneously accepting two mutually contradictory beliefs as correct.

I thought it was revealing that the protagonist in 1984, Winston Smith, worked at the Records Department of the Ministry of Truth, and each day he would re-write history to to reflect the "new reality" as dictated by the Inner Party.  What was key to the Inner Party's power was that history was easy to re-write (and it was Winston's job to assist each day in this process).  

Also, so you know, you have no idea what my economic ideas are about, but since you think must be a choice between Austrian economics and the corruption of Keynes' economic theories that is currently dominant I can see you have the same extremely limited economic perspective shared by almost all Americans.

If the idea of a free currency is going to take hold those ideas needs to be jettisoned quickly.
It is evident you are ignorant of the ideas I give merit, i was just commenting on the ides you expressed. I think I am radically removed from the perspective of most Americans, and even disagree fundamentally with the idea libertarians hold in defining property.

My ideas are not my ideas but just an understanding of existing principals that are based on systems in nature and free market synergies between the underlying Marxist principals and that of Hayek in managing resource allocation to the benefit of all species on the planet.  They originate from the principal there are equal rights shared by all living organisms on the planet, when a right is violated one needs the free market to compensate to restore balance.

I have a clear understanding of economics, it is foremost and fundamentally the study of economic interactions between participants, I believe it is you who may be mistaken thinking it is something that is managed or manipulated for the greater good.  

No such thing as inherent rights or free markets. The inclusion of idealistic abstractions into your theorizing is it's weak point IMHO.

Basically the world is in an economic mess because because the people who control the economy are ignorant and still  believe in fanciful theories from the 18th and 19th centuries

LOL. The mess originated when they threw the said theories and common sense out of the window.

(Almost as hilarious as saying that something with an IPO is a coin and not a share..Wink )
That opinion has it's basis in a basic misunderstanding of historical facts.

The truth is that reduced economic regulation due to the adoption of policies such as those outlined von Mises in the last decades has resulted in the top 2% of the population owning 80% of the wealth. This is what caused the current economic problems.

That is what happens when you adopt policies such as those championed by Austrian economists. Corporate profits have never been higher, but that money has to come form somewhere and that somewhere is our pockets. That is why the middle class is gone and people have less access to money than ever before.

That is oligarchy. That's what type of political economy we have.

During feudalism, the top 2% owned 100% of the wealth.

The mercantile age and later, industrial age, and liberalism, all increased the middle class (although the poor stayed poor until liberalism tried to lift them up also). The current concentration of wealth has nothing to do with Misesian policies. In reality what has happened is that the age of liberalism (with maximal freedom that the western world has enjoyed lately) ended in Federal Reserve in 1913 and the war 1914 (war could only be started when Fed had been founded). Since that the world has suffered from a tightening grip of one collectivist cabal, who have controlled and control both the collectivist Soviet Union and the collectivist USA. The details of wealth concentration are slightly different, but in both the wealth has been concentrated to the inner circle.

With Bitcoin we see how wealth is concentrated in a fully voluntary fashion. The end result is not even very different. Currently 1400 bitcoin holders (0.15%) own half of the bitcoins, and 80% of the bitcoins are in the hands of 2.5% of the people. The same!

I am not a great fan of the current system, but the reason is not that they are too capitalist (because they are not; socialism is a better word, or fascism, corporatism, collectivism). The reason is that the system is unfair.

Bitcoin, as a fair equal opportunity system, has produced a similar wealth distribution, therefore we cannot say the wealth disparity is evil per se. All market participants, you, me, and everyone else can decide to buy or sell bitcoins. How can that result in anything but optimal distribution?

I understand that perspective, because I shared it at one time. But consider:

Objectively speaking, the current system is a slightly modified version of feudalism, with owners of capital forming the aristocracy rather than it being formed around the archiac notion of noble lineage. There's certainly no "free market" but rather a series of nested cartels and other associations (corporatism, as you noted).

Almost all of the progress we've seen since then is due to technological advancement rather than social advancement. Most of the social advancement that has occurred happened in response to empowerment made possible due to technological improvements that allowed the individual to actualize. (btc is this sort of improvement). At the same time other tech has emerged that serves to suppress the individual.

Unless we create a humane system where human beings are not treated as draft animals the systemic unfairness you spoke of will exist. Whether that is a system of fair market distribution, such as mutualism, or perhaps a different sort of system not yet envisioned remains to be seen.

In the meantime lets produce the best technology for individual actualization (crypto) we can. I think it is humanity's best bet.
Again, this is true for PoW. Many of us are concerned that someone could secretly acquire enough hashpower to launch a 51% attack.

or perhaps not so secretly
legendary
It's trival to create a PoW system with that creates coins according to whatever schedule you want. 

the 'schedule' is based on number blocks, not a timestamp though , right?

I ask because it relates to another conversion thread about time being
the critical factor used to create distributed consensus.
Pages:
Jump to: