Pages:
Author

Topic: Anonymity - page 3. (Read 68752 times)

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
January 27, 2011, 08:10:29 PM
The trouble with the two services you mention, is, I believe, that they keep logs, and are not explicitly designed to "launder" bitcoins (as it were).

BitLaundry also keeps logs because Bitcoin permanently saves every transaction you make to wallet.dat. You'd have to modify Bitcoin to truly keep no logs.

Do you really have to modify Bitcoin? Isn't it enough to send all coins to a separate wallet, delete original wallet, make empty wallet, send all coins back to blank wallet.

Obviously you'll want to automate. Do it every 6 hours or something.
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
January 27, 2011, 03:06:12 PM
In what way would the wallet.dat logs be any different from what you find on the public chain already?
I don't think that's the kind of log he worries about... logs linking the input with the output that would be the problem... the wallet.dat wouldn't have such logs since bitcoind itself wouldn't have such info.

The attacker would be able to see which transactions went through the mix service. With the dates and amounts of each transaction, an attacker may be able to reconstruct input<->output links (especially with small services like BitLaundry), even though the exact information is not included in wallet.dat. Without the wallet an investigation would not be able to recover this information.

Probably mixing services will not be raided often, so proper mixing is much more important than logging.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004
January 27, 2011, 11:03:16 AM
In what way would the wallet.dat logs be any different from what you find on the public chain already?
I don't think that's the kind of log he worries about... logs linking the input with the output that would be the problem... the wallet.dat wouldn't have such logs since bitcoind itself wouldn't have such info.
administrator
January 27, 2011, 09:06:13 AM
The trouble with the two services you mention, is, I believe, that they keep logs, and are not explicitly designed to "launder" bitcoins (as it were).

BitLaundry also keeps logs because Bitcoin permanently saves every transaction you make to wallet.dat. You'd have to modify Bitcoin to truly keep no logs.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
January 27, 2011, 04:29:15 AM
At the moment there are few people using the service. But then again, there are so few people using Bitcoin as well. The point is, that as/if bitcoin takes off, there already exists an anonymous payment gateway. And there is nothing stopping more from springing up. The trouble with the two services you mention, is, I believe, that they keep logs, and are not explicitly designed to "launder" bitcoins (as it were).

I love am writing a short SF story which involves digital nomads and digital currency. Considering no one has, so far, come up with anonymous digital cash of the sort that can be transfered between individuals without an intermediary, bitcoins with a decentralised net of anonymous payment gateways is the next best thing that I can find.

Sure there are plenty of anonymous payment systems, but as far as I can tell, they require an intermediary server which is generally controlled by one actor (as, indeed, is the entire payment system).

My reading of Wikipedia suggests that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_signature might be relevant, but I'm not a mathematician (or a doctor).
administrator
January 26, 2011, 10:37:43 PM
Anyway, As I kept browsing the forums, I came across the BitLaundry, which looks like what I described!

Since BitLaundry has so few users, you'll probably get your own coins back, which is pointless. You might as well just send the coins to yourself at a new address. Your best bet is to use a large site like MyBitcoin or MtGox.
January 26, 2011, 09:16:40 PM
Yes indeed.

Anyway, As I kept browsing the forums, I came across the BitLaundry, which looks like what I described!
* https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/announcing-bitlaundry-decorrelated-payment-service-963
* https://bitlaundry.appspot.com/
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
January 26, 2011, 08:53:39 PM
The second way is for an external service to take the coins of many different people, mix them up, and send similar amounts back to those peoples' addresses. If the mixer keeps no logs of who gets which coins, any investigation must stop here.

I setup bitcoin just yesterday. But had been thinking about it for a while. Particularly I had an issue with each coin containing it's own transaction history.
I was thinking about anonymous payment gateways, and came up with the idea of having external services that can forward payments for you. So, Aleph wants to pay Bravo some coin, but doesn't want Bravo to know where the money is coming from, and doesn't want Gerry (the government) to know where the money is coming from, or going. So, Aleph sends the money to Cent (external server). Cent has received money from various other users in the past, and so has a stack of coins from various people. Cent randomly selects from these coins the appropriate number and forwards these on to Bravo. Cent never keeps logs, and so has no record of who sent money to Cent, or where Cent subsequently sent that money to.

Anonymous payment gateway.

Now, to my thinking, the most trusted of these would be the ones that were run by community groups such as EFF, or on darknets, or similar. But, there is nothing to say that commercial operations could exist that would take a percentage, or a slice of every payment.

My first post, I don't think I repeated what anyone else has said.

I think a safe way would be to go through 7 or so sites, there are already gambling accounts in addition to all the exchanges in the future, ATITD, etc. Even if 6 of them kept records and were coerced into telling it would be useless. There could even be a service that did that for you and you could use 2 of them or more. This still doesn't save you from the merchant tattling on you if he needs info about you to serve you.
January 26, 2011, 08:44:59 PM
The second way is for an external service to take the coins of many different people, mix them up, and send similar amounts back to those peoples' addresses. If the mixer keeps no logs of who gets which coins, any investigation must stop here.

I setup bitcoin just yesterday. But had been thinking about it for a while. Particularly I had an issue with each coin containing it's own transaction history.
I was thinking about anonymous payment gateways, and came up with the idea of having external services that can forward payments for you. So, Aleph wants to pay Bravo some coin, but doesn't want Bravo to know where the money is coming from, and doesn't want Gerry (the government) to know where the money is coming from, or going. So, Aleph sends the money to Cent (external server). Cent has received money from various other users in the past, and so has a stack of coins from various people. Cent randomly selects from these coins the appropriate number and forwards these on to Bravo. Cent never keeps logs, and so has no record of who sent money to Cent, or where Cent subsequently sent that money to.

Anonymous payment gateway.

Now, to my thinking, the most trusted of these would be the ones that were run by community groups such as EFF, or on darknets, or similar. But, there is nothing to say that commercial operations could exist that would take a percentage, or a slice of every payment.

My first post, I don't think I repeated what anyone else has said.
Activity: 440
December 28, 2010, 03:55:03 AM
My understanding of this stuff is still pretty precursory, but I think adding Ripple to the mix could be a game changer: enabling small, local transactions without the need to exchange fiat currencies. This is huge, because getting bitcoins or digital gold is currently infeasible for small transactions, whereas with Ripple, you're in the game out of the box. All you need is a friend on Facebook. This is exactly the kind of convenience that can kickstart a revolution.

I'm a big fan of Ripple actually, and I would love to see it built into the first real OT client.

Ripple also eliminates any need for "server-to-server" transfer, since all such transfers would be p2p instead of centralized.

Along the same lines we've been discussing, I would also love to see such software integrated into the next generation of anonymous networks. 
Activity: 323
December 27, 2010, 06:50:05 PM
My understanding of this stuff is still pretty precursory, but I think adding Ripple to the mix could be a game changer: enabling small, local transactions without the need to exchange fiat currencies. This is huge, because getting bitcoins or digital gold is currently infeasible for small transactions, whereas with Ripple, you're in the game out of the box. All you need is a friend on Facebook. This is exactly the kind of convenience that can kickstart a revolution.
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin
December 27, 2010, 01:01:36 AM
Are you saying that market will develop with OpenTransactions whereby people use bandwidth/cpu resources as currency?But basically OpenTransactions isn't backed by anything?  It is just that they will allow people to anonymously trade, and will thus produce a commodity of bandwidth/cpu resources?  (I'm not terribly familiar with OpenTransactions)

Open Transactions is software that allows anyone to connect and issue currencies (just like Loom, if you're familiar with that) and then transact in them untraceably.  So there could be a bitcoin-backed currency, an e-gold-backed currency, a goldmoney-backed currency, a fiat-backed currency, and a hundred others.

My point above was that using untraceable money, it becomes possible to pay for resources on anonymous networks, which would therefore solve issues of resource allocation on anonymous networks.  And since the digital cash, in that case, is being used to pay for resources on anonymous networks, that means it could also be redeemed for those resources as well. Thus, a digital cash backed in Bitcoin would have value beyond just the "proof of work" that went into creating the Bitcoins, but would also have the value of paying for filesharing resources on anonymous networks.

In fact, the three pieces fix each other's weaknesses...

Bitcoin is fully-distributed but not untraceable.
Open Transactions is untraceable but requires a server.
Anonymous networks allow you to run a server but they run too slowly...
Open Transactions would solve issues of resource allocation on those networks, but requires an issuer somewhere to store the gold...
Unless you back it with Bitcoin, in which case there is no backing storage needed since that becomes fully-distributed.

Excellent!  Basically bitcoin and open transactions are complementary means of exchange. 

Do you have any good recommendations about relatively cheap and high-bandwidth VPS or other server that I could purchase anonymously with Loom or Open Transactions?  Unfortunately, I'm not terribly impressed with the price/GB for the VPS servers listed in the bitcoin trade (and again am a wee bit concerned about the potential traceability of bitcoin by a clever adversary), but maybe there are other servers that could be purchased with Loom or Open Transactions instead.

This is sortof like Rock-Paper-Sissors, or one of those RPGs where you have Water weak against Lighting, Fire and Ice weak against eachother, Black Mages with high MP but low HP, Warriors with high HP but no magic, White Mages with poor attack but can restore HP, etc. (you get the picture).  But then you get to put together your team which combines their special powers and is able to defeat any enemy/boss!  Smiley  Sorry for the lame analogy.   Cheesy
December 26, 2010, 07:24:07 PM
Are you saying that market will develop with OpenTransactions whereby people use bandwidth/cpu resources as currency?But basically OpenTransactions isn't backed by anything?  It is just that they will allow people to anonymously trade, and will thus produce a commodity of bandwidth/cpu resources?  (I'm not terribly familiar with OpenTransactions)

Open Transactions is software that allows anyone to connect and issue currencies (just like Loom, if you're familiar with that) and then transact in them untraceably.  So there could be a bitcoin-backed currency, an e-gold-backed currency, a goldmoney-backed currency, a fiat-backed currency, and a hundred others.

My point above was that using untraceable money, it becomes possible to pay for resources on anonymous networks, which would therefore solve issues of resource allocation on anonymous networks.  And since the digital cash, in that case, is being used to pay for resources on anonymous networks, that means it could also be redeemed for those resources as well. Thus, a digital cash backed in Bitcoin would have value beyond just the "proof of work" that went into creating the Bitcoins, but would also have the value of paying for filesharing resources on anonymous networks.

In fact, the three pieces fix each other's weaknesses...

Bitcoin is fully-distributed but not untraceable.
Open Transactions is untraceable but requires a server.
Anonymous networks allow you to run a server but they run too slowly...
Open Transactions would solve issues of resource allocation on those networks, but requires an issuer somewhere to store the gold...
Unless you back it with Bitcoin, in which case there is no backing storage needed since that becomes fully-distributed.
September 17, 2010, 01:44:54 AM
Bitcoin is designed with the ability to forget old transactions as you describe, just it isn't implemented yet. Its only intended to save disk space and maybe some bandwidth though I believe.

aha...ok.  thanks for the info

It could help mask coin tracks from someone new to bitcoin but if they are monitoring the net they are not obligated to erase old transactions. They could build up historical records if they want.

hmm...yeah, I suppose so.  They are probably building up the historical record already. Sad

Added anonymity, but not recommended due to loss of transaction data vulnerability:

- If the Bitcoin block can be fractionalized amongst active nodes (nodes gracefully exiting the network to allow for data passing) with plenty of backup data overlapping amongst the nodes - but no one node knows the full block chain, it will also increase anonymity.  But this may cause vulneribility in the system database in case of node failure - this route is not recommended.  If a majority of nodes in one geographic location holds the only copy of a particular section of the database, and that geographic area suffers a catastrophe, it might wipe out some/all Bitcoin wealth completely.

hmm...good point.

Whatever mechanism is chosen, it had better not significantly slow down the network or client unless strong anonymity is required/requested.

I've tried I2P and Tor, and, for me, super-strong privacy isn't worth the performance cost.

This is such a good point. People want the anonymity to trade files but they don't want to pay the performance costs of anonymous networks. The problem is in implementing a trust system based on anonymous peers, when there is no anonymous way to pay for resources.

This is the main reason why I wrote Open Transactions: because providing an untraceable form of cash makes it possible to solve issues of resource allocation on anonymous networks.  If download requests are accompanied by digital postage, college kids will start leaving their computers on all day to collect that postage while anonymous downloads occur through their computing resources. Then when they get home from class, the digital postage that has accrued covers the cost of their own downloads. Effectively, people won't have to contribute cash at all, as long as they are contributing computing resources.

Then anonymous networks can run fast. As a bonus, people can also send each other anonymous digital cash payments on these networks -- and information markets and prediction markets can start popping up.

Bitcoins are difficult to counterfeit because they require "work" aka "computing resources" in order to produce them. SURELY THESE SORTS OF COMPUTING RESOURCES that I have described above, which provide real value to people in the form of fast, anonymous downloads, have some real and measurable monetary value as well? Not only do they require computers to work, but they also provide real value to people on a market where other things are traded.

Are you saying that market will develop with OpenTransactions whereby people use bandwidth/cpu resources as currency?  But basically OpenTransactions isn't backed by anything?  It is just that they will allow people to anonymously trade, and will thus produce a commodity of bandwidth/cpu resources?  (I'm not terribly familiar with OpenTransactions)
September 17, 2010, 01:30:11 AM
Whatever mechanism is chosen, it had better not significantly slow down the network or client unless strong anonymity is required/requested.

I've tried I2P and Tor, and, for me, super-strong privacy isn't worth the performance cost.

This is such a good point. People want the anonymity to trade files but they don't want to pay the performance costs of anonymous networks. The problem is in implementing a trust system based on anonymous peers, when there is no anonymous way to pay for resources.

This is the main reason why I wrote Open Transactions: because providing an untraceable form of cash makes it possible to solve issues of resource allocation on anonymous networks.  If download requests are accompanied by digital postage, college kids will start leaving their computers on all day to collect that postage while anonymous downloads occur through their computing resources. Then when they get home from class, the digital postage that has accrued covers the cost of their own downloads. Effectively, people won't have to contribute cash at all, as long as they are contributing computing resources.

Then anonymous networks can run fast. As a bonus, people can also send each other anonymous digital cash payments on these networks -- and information markets and prediction markets can start popping up.

Bitcoins are difficult to counterfeit because they require "work" aka "computing resources" in order to produce them. SURELY THESE SORTS OF COMPUTING RESOURCES that I have described above, which provide real value to people in the form of fast, anonymous downloads, have some real and measurable monetary value as well? Not only do they require computers to work, but they also provide real value to people on a market where other things are traded.

Activity: 15
Merit: 0
September 16, 2010, 03:48:37 AM
Added anonymity, but not recommended due to loss of transaction data vulnerability:

- If the Bitcoin block can be fractionalized amongst active nodes (nodes gracefully exiting the network to allow for data passing) with plenty of backup data overlapping amongst the nodes - but no one node knows the full block chain, it will also increase anonymity.  But this may cause vulneribility in the system database in case of node failure - this route is not recommended.  If a majority of nodes in one geographic location holds the only copy of a particular section of the database, and that geographic area suffers a catastrophe, it might wipe out some/all Bitcoin wealth completely.
Activity: 490
Merit: 509
My avatar pic says it all
September 15, 2010, 10:00:19 AM
Hey all,

Something just occurred to me... using mybitcoin's new bitcoin payment forwarding couldn't someone just bounce their coins in and out of mybitcoin automatically and use it as a free bitlaundry-like service? Could you not rotate to+forwarding addresses to pull it off?

I should really spend more time looking at how the underlying database is structured in bitcoin. Tongue

Cheers! Cheesy
lfm
Activity: 196
Merit: 104
September 14, 2010, 07:59:58 PM
I haven't read this entire thread, but if we are concerned about the directed graph of transactions (represented by the block chain) being visible for a long time, then what about using self-destructing data for the block chains that will expire and erase themselves after a specified time (such as a couple hours) or after a certain number of nodes have confirmed the transaction?  For example, I stumbled upon this scheme called Vanish - Self-destructing digital data which uses on-line distributed hash tables to store and gradually degrade the encrypted data and key over time?  So basically have older block chains automatically vanish after a certain time -that way transactions could be verified in the short time span, but would be destroyed in the long time span...thus preventing the authorities or whoever you are worried about from reconstructing the block-chain and use that directed graph to determine your identity. 

Anyway, I'm just brainstorming here, not giving any solutions Wink, and I don't totally understand the internal workings of bitcoin either Sad, but maybe someone out here in the forums is clever enough to figure out some scheme using self-destructing data to protect anonymity.

Bitcoin is designed with the ability to forget old transactions as you describe, just it isn't implemented yet. Its only intended to save disk space and maybe some bandwidth though I believe.

It could help mask coin tracks from someone new to bitcoin but if they are monitoring the net they are not obligated to erase old transactions. They could build up historical records if they want.
September 14, 2010, 07:51:16 PM
I haven't read this entire thread, but if we are concerned about the directed graph of transactions (represented by the block chain) being visible for a long time, then what about using self-destructing data for the block chains that will expire and erase themselves after a specified time (such as a couple hours) or after a certain number of nodes have confirmed the transaction?  For example, I stumbled upon this scheme called Vanish - Self-destructing digital data which uses on-line distributed hash tables to store and gradually degrade the encrypted data and key over time?  So basically have older block chains automatically vanish after a certain time -that way transactions could be verified in the short time span, but would be destroyed in the long time span...thus preventing the authorities or whoever you are worried about from reconstructing the block-chain and use that directed graph to determine your identity. 

Anyway, I'm just brainstorming here, not giving any solutions Wink, and I don't totally understand the internal workings of bitcoin either Sad, but maybe someone out here in the forums is clever enough to figure out some scheme using self-destructing data to protect anonymity.
Activity: 182
Merit: 10
August 21, 2010, 06:36:45 AM
No offense, and are you sure about that?  Even from a nontechnical perspective, having a fully-public transaction history is troubling, to say the least.

The full transaction history of every transaction everybody makes is available. (If that is what you were questioning.)
What do you think is in the block chain?
The Anonymity comes from not knowing who 'owns' a particular Bitcoin Address.
Well, I was feeling OK about that, until EconomyBuilder's post  Undecided
Pages:
Jump to: