Pages:
Author

Topic: anonymosity of bitcoin - page 2. (Read 510 times)

Activity: 1204
Merit: 505
November 28, 2017, 07:32:01 AM
We all know that most of the illegal transactions take place through bitcoins as it cannot be tracked.
But I read in some websites that many intelligence agencies have started to find a method and have had significant progress.
Is it true?would our trading be at risk as many of us earn a lot and don't pay any tax to the government.
First of all, I would like to correct by saying that it is not most of the illegal transactions, but some of them (a little, if I may say, because not much people makes use of bitcoin. Then as of whether the government will start tracking everybody, I don’t think they will.

I believe they are just finding a way to trace those uses Bitcoin for evil, and not those that simply does business with it. Trading is not illegal as far as you’re trading on a registered platform.
Activity: 490
Merit: 501
November 28, 2017, 03:10:40 AM
We all know that most of the illegal transactions take place through bitcoins as it cannot be tracked.
But I read in some websites that many intelligence agencies have started to find a method and have had significant progress. Is it true?would our trading be at risk as many of us earn a lot and don't pay any tax to the government.

This is actually a racing game as to who can develop a good tacking system for Bitcoin users so as to compel them (or maybe should I say 'us') to declare and pay the correct taxes especially on capital gains. I heard last month that the IRS has already a system like this and that they are already using it now...as to how effective their tracking system that we would known in the coming months once IRS would be reporting on possible cases that can be filed as the results for the system's effectiveness. To make thing fair and square, this kind of scenario is not exclusive to Bitcoin as the government (any government for that matter) has had been battling tax evasion since time immemorial. I guess the question of taxation for many Bitcoin transactions will always be accompanying us for a long, long time.
legendary
Activity: 3514
Merit: 5123
https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC
November 28, 2017, 02:42:50 AM
But I read in some websites that many intelligence agencies have started to find a method and have had significant progress.
Is it true?would our trading be at risk as many of us earn a lot and don't pay any tax to the government.

It is only true if you don't know how to use your bitcoin anonymously. Bitcoin can be tracked if you know who owns the bitcoin address because you can see where the coins are sent and where the coins are cashed out into fiat. Usually cashing out to fiat is where people get caught. However, if you use bitcoin mixers where your coins will be spread across different addresses, you can add a layer of anonymity and safely cash out without knowing where your coins came from.
By using bitcoin mixer would it take more transaction fee?is there any VPN type service which can hide or show a wrong bitcoin adress?
and thanks for your suggestion .

1) yes, some mixers don't charge a mixing fee, however, they're businesses so they have to make money (wich means that even 0% fee mixers will have a way to make you pay a small amount of money), and you'll always have to pay for the miner's fee of the transaction depositing the funds, and probably also for the transaction from the mixer's wallet to yours (i don't think the mixer will ever pay your transaction fee)

2) you can use a VPN if you want, but "hiding or showing a wrong bitcoin adress" is not really to the point. If you use an spv wallet, you have to send a request for fetching the unspent outputs for your address, there is no way around it... If you run a full client, you download the blockchain and broadcast signed transactions, but you don't usually send out your address...
There are no ip's recorded in the blockchain, and your peers can, theoretically, save the ip of the node sending them a block or a transaction, but they will never know if that ip is the creator of the block/transaction, or merely somebody that is just broadcasting a block/transaction they received from an other node... So there is little use in saving ip's unless you have a whole network of nodes and you can start running statistics on all of your nodes.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
November 27, 2017, 11:14:54 AM

It is only true if you don't know how to use your bitcoin anonymously. Bitcoin can be tracked if you know who owns the bitcoin address because you can see where the coins are sent and where the coins are cashed out into fiat. Usually cashing out to fiat is where people get caught. However, if you use bitcoin mixers where your coins will be spread across different addresses, you can add a layer of anonymity and safely cash out without knowing where your coins came from.
By using bitcoin mixer would it take more transaction fee?is there any VPN type service which can hide or show a wrong bitcoin adress?
and thanks for your suggestion .
legendary
Activity: 3514
Merit: 5123
https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC
November 27, 2017, 03:24:48 AM
jmigdlc99 is correct, i only wanted to add one thing: the rumour bitcoin is anonymous and cannot be tracked has always been a myth. From the very beginning, bitcoin was not designed to be 100% anonymous, the best it ever did was being pseudo-anonymous.

jmigdlc99 has already indicated that converting BTC <-> fiat is one of the identification points. However, buying BTC with fiat and buying physical good with BTC is just as dangerous.
Exchanges use KYC regulations, localbitcoins might attrackt undercover LE buyers/sellers, ATM's have camera's... Every website is tracking your ip... And every on-chain transaction is on an unencrypted public ledger forever...
Activity: 784
Merit: 282
November 27, 2017, 03:21:19 AM

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
November 27, 2017, 02:38:21 AM
Pages:
Jump to: