Pages:
Author

Topic: Another Ubuntu Question - page 3. (Read 4283 times)

staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code
October 10, 2015, 12:23:53 PM
When you install, if their is an installation wizard, set the installation directory to a folder in sdb1. If it is just binaries you downloaded, just copy them to a folder on sdb1 and run the program from there.

If I try to change the installation directory, I see the following error message:

Cannot obtain a lock on data directory /cdrom. Bitcoin Core is probably already running. No such file or directory.

For bitcoin core specifically, just copy all of the binaries to a folder in sdb1 and run the program from there.

If I try to copy the binaries to a folder in /cdrom I get the following message:

The folder “bin” cannot be copied because you do not have permissions to create it in the destination.

first shut down bitcoin core.

Then check your permissions. Make sure that you have permission to copy things to /cdrom. Make sure that you have permissions to even move the bin folder.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
October 10, 2015, 12:18:14 PM
When you install, if their is an installation wizard, set the installation directory to a folder in sdb1. If it is just binaries you downloaded, just copy them to a folder on sdb1 and run the program from there.

If I try to change the installation directory, I see the following error message:

Cannot obtain a lock on data directory /cdrom. Bitcoin Core is probably already running. No such file or directory.

For bitcoin core specifically, just copy all of the binaries to a folder in sdb1 and run the program from there.

If I try to copy the binaries to a folder in /cdrom I get the following message:

The folder “bin” cannot be copied because you do not have permissions to create it in the destination.
staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code
October 10, 2015, 11:29:48 AM
When you install, if their is an installation wizard, set the installation directory to a folder in sdb1. If it is just binaries you downloaded, just copy them to a folder on sdb1 and run the program from there. If you are installing with an apt-get command, I don't think it is possible to change the installation directory.

For bitcoin core specifically, just copy all of the binaries to a folder in sdb1 and run the program from there. If you want to also have the data for bitcoin core on sdb1, then use
Code:
-datadir=
to specify the directory. is obviously where you put the path to that directory.

You should also change the PATH environment variable to include the folders where you put the installed programs at so that you can run them from anywhere.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
October 10, 2015, 10:22:19 AM
Hi!
It's me again  Cheesy

Let me explain what is my new question for you Linux experts.
I installed Ubuntu 15.04 on an external hard disk, using the free tool called "LiLi" . Then I booted my Linux distro changing the BIOS settings.

The main problem with these kinds of installation is persistence.
As a standard, FAT32 allows a maximum persistence of 4GB, but it could be easily changed launching the "gparted" application. And this is exactly what I did: I launched gparted and set HD persistence to 1TB.
So this is what I get now:

Anyway, now I wonder how to install Bitcoin Core ( and any other programs ) on sdb1. How can I do this?

Pages:
Jump to: