Pages:
Author

Topic: Antiwork: It takes a lot of work to create no work. - page 3. (Read 305 times)

Activity: 152
Merit: 53
Uhm... you don't have to work a fixed amount of hours. You can work part time or freelance or just wing it and live under a bridge.

The rest of your post makes zero sense. Set a 20-hour work week and then... live on half the income? Or expect to be paid the same?

So, the system is really geared towards a 40 hour work week which was set nearly a hundred years ago.

I'm an advocate for increasing wages while decreasing overall hours worked. If raised the min wage to $15 an hour and set the hours worked to 30 hours (overtime at 1.5x until 40 hours, 2x after that), I think society would be *much* better off than just raising the min wage to $15 an hour.

Ideally, we'd raise the min wage higher than $15 an hour, but that seems to be the message currently and is already double federal min wage in America.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
I hate work. I absolutely hate it. The idea that we *must* sell our bodies for a fixed amount of hours per week, set by people who have been dead longer than I've been alive, is an absolutely disgusting concept to begin. The system that was meant to be ended up even worse than when implemented primarily due to lack of raising min wages for the last decade.

Uhm... you don't have to work a fixed amount of hours. You can work part time or freelance or just wing it and live under a bridge.

The rest of your post makes zero sense. Set a 20-hour work week and then... live on half the income? Or expect to be paid the same?
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 1368
I had a boss who was into shortcuts. He made far more work for himself attempting the shortcuts, than if he had simply gone out and done the work in the first place.

Cool
Activity: 152
Merit: 53
tldr; activism requires work

I hate work. I absolutely hate it. The idea that we *must* sell our bodies for a fixed amount of hours per week, set by people who have been dead longer than I've been alive, is an absolutely disgusting concept to begin. The system that was meant to be ended up even worse than when implemented primarily due to lack of raising min wages for the last decade.

I live in the USA. A very capitalistic society. If I was born rich -- with capital -- I'd be set. Zero work required for a boatload of income. Actually, it's not even considered "income" when the investments are older than a year [capital gains] -- which being born into wealth, all the investment would be older than a year.

There's a reason why capital gains taxation rates are separate from income tax -- because it benefits the rich. 0% taxation rate for the first $40,000 (single filer, $80k joint filing). That's enough money to live pretty easily (in a lower cost of living area) without lifting a single finger -- just cashing out *profits* from previous investments and paying the federal government **ZERO** in taxes.

Anti-work exists. It just exists for those *with* everything.

---

With that in mind, to summarize the system is rigged *for* those that have, and rigged **against** those who do not have.  The problem is where many people **think** they have, but they do not. Or even worse, those who **believe** they will *eventually* have.

President Lyndon B. Johnson once said, "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

I believe that plays true today, rather it be based upon wealth, race, class, sex, gender. A scapegoat to hate to be 'better' than, to feel superior to another to feel better about themselves; to feel 'lucky' that they're not the ones worse off.

---

USA is a democracy. Those who *have* are absolutely outnumbered by those that do not have.

An individual is limited on how many seats they can occupy and the system is set to where no single individual seat has the authority to change the entire system. No individual person has the unilaterally authority to force progress on this specific issue (regardless of what the mass media implies when it comes to Presidential powers).

Going back to my title, it takes a lot of work to create no work. We can only force the changes together. With a supermajority of any parliament, rather it be US Congress, state assemblies, local councils, associations (such as state BAR (legal), unions, hell, even Parent-Teacher Association); anything is possible.

When like minded folks start to occupy these seats, we can make real change. In Germany, auto unions have been able to get a 28 hour work week.

If majority the of members on a city or village council held antiwork ideologies, they'd be able to set all local government employee work weeks to 20 or 30 hours if they desired. Local change made within the communities they live; while it's not solving 100% of the problem, it's solving part of the problem.

If the antiwork individuals were to run and occupy local school board, board of education seats, and similar; they'd be able to set 30 hour long class weeks to create shorter school weeks for teachers and perhaps even students.

There's a lot of change that can be made at any level of organization, but it takes work and effort to become members of these associations -- to engage in these activities -- to become active.
Pages:
Jump to: