Pages:
Author

Topic: Antminer s1 ($130 a piece) Worth it??? - page 2. (Read 2618 times)

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1072
https://crowetic.com | https://qortal.org
August 01, 2014, 03:37:39 PM
Thank you very much for all of your replies.

I am not new to mining, I am a GPU miner, who is selling his 17 GPUs and moving into the ASIC realm.

My reasons for mining are to hold, and hopefully have a decent savings later on in life. (unfortunately I have had many issues come up recently that forced me to sell every coin I have made, which would have been around 20 BTC, this is very upsetting, but life goes on)

I think, after this post and many others reading, that I am going to wait until I sell my hardware, and pick up some s3's, it seems like the best way to go, as no, I don't have free power, but I do have relatively cheap power, and a really nice circuit in my house that's capable of running quite a bit of hardware.

The s1's I am speaking of are a local deal, so there would be no shipping.

I just think that the power usage of the s1's is too high, and that getting s3's is a better idea.

Thanks again everyone who replied!
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1024
Mine at Jonny's Pool
August 01, 2014, 03:35:57 PM
I have the opportunity to acquire 5 antminer s1's for 130 dollars a piece. I am simply looking for advice here as to whether you guys would go for it, or wait a little while and buy some s3's? Those are my two options, I know the s3's would be better on power, but overall what do you think, should I go for the s1's or pick up some s3's about a month down the road?

Thank you in advance for your opinions!

-crowetic
Well, let's take a look at some numbers.  First, a few assumptions: You pay 0.00017BTC per kWh, difficulty will jump 10% every 2016 blocks, BTC remains at $600 for the duration (mostly so I don't have to use variable rates for power) and you can start mining immediately (pretending you have the S1 in hand right now).  Also, I'm going to assume the price of the S3 drops to 0.6BTC in a month and you start mining with it on 9/1.  Oh, and I also assume you already have a PSU capable of driving the units.

S1
Up front cost is 0.22BTC
Expected ROI after a month: -0.1267BTC
Expected ROI at EoL (1/14/2015): 0.004746BTC

S3
Up front cost is 1.2BTC (MOQ from Bitmain is 2)
Expected ROI after a month: -0.7747BTC
Expected ROI at EoL (5/27/2015): 0.3253BTC

Take this analysis with a grain of salt - I assumed a few things that may or may not happen (especially the constant 10% difficulty increase).
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
★ BitClave pre-ICO: 25/07/17 ★
August 01, 2014, 11:20:17 AM
If it's $130 shipped it's not highway robbery.  But if it's $130 before shipping then I'd look elsewhere as I know there are others, especially on this forum who would  part with their S1's for that price or cheaper.  Just keep looking around in the Marketplace here on Bitcointalk and don't forget to get an Escrow! Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029
August 01, 2014, 09:47:24 AM
Pure and simple it's throwing your money tough the window. It would be better for you just to buy BTC with $$$ and hold, or if you really want to spend that money for nothing, than give it away to charity.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
August 01, 2014, 09:04:24 AM
Give it try , Not bad deal, and if you still don't like it in near future you can always sell it over ebay with international shipping option
legendary
Activity: 1173
Merit: 1000
August 01, 2014, 07:48:19 AM
I have the opportunity to acquire 5 antminer s1's for 130 dollars a piece. I am simply looking for advice here as to whether you guys would go for it, or wait a little while and buy some s3's? Those are my two options, I know the s3's would be better on power, but overall what do you think, should I go for the s1's or pick up some s3's about a month down the road?

-crowetic

Depends on reasons why you want to mine. Most will say you won't get ROI. Some will say it would be a decent way to give mining a try.
It's not be biggest of investment (well hopefully its not for you) ... I say do it.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
July 31, 2014, 10:00:54 PM

-crowetic

Do you have free electricity? if not then it would not be worth it even if it is $50..
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024
July 31, 2014, 09:03:04 PM
I'd try and work the price down a little bit. $100 would be worth it for each miner.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
July 31, 2014, 03:17:57 PM
IMO the S1 should be around $100 us. Do not pay more for an older model. Get a good power supply for them and you should be ready to go.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1072
https://crowetic.com | https://qortal.org
July 31, 2014, 03:03:41 PM

-crowetic
Pages:
Jump to: