Pages:
Author

Topic: Antminer S3 batch 6 overclocking - page 6. (Read 23027 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
October 12, 2014, 11:14:01 AM

Many thanks! I updated the firmware and then installed 4.6.1. The process seemed to go ok, but could you remind me how I check that the new cgminer is properly installed?  I only say that because if I look at the  system -> software tab, it says cgminer version is 3.12.0-1.  Possibly this screen doesn't get updated by loading 4.6.1, but thought I'd better check! Smiley
The UI will still say version 3.12.0 though I cannot recall how to return the correct version after you have updated. I vaguely recall you have to check via the SSH command line by issuing a call to the API (check the S3 Support thread, it is mentioned there).
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
October 12, 2014, 11:08:09 AM
Updated OP with upgrade to cgminer 4.6.1 (and 4.6.0 with firmware update).

Which firmware did you use with cgminer 4.6.1?
Was it this one - antMiner_S320140826.bin which it says supports S3+?  Is it ok for original S3s as well?

Yes, the latest firmware (for the S3+) will work with an original S3. My S3's are batch 6, which was before the S3+.
Note that after updating the firmware, you will have to re-install 4.6.1 as the firmware still ships with the bitmain cgminer (I think version 3 ..?)

Many thanks. I'll give it a go. Smiley

I hope you know the nuasances of updating antminer firmware! Here's a recap that gets a few people.
When you update the firmware, it will re-set the IP to the default one (can't recall, is it 192.168.1.99 ??) and set the network to static IP. So if you have any rigs on that IP, change them before you start.
Also since you'll be updating from a different IP, the UI will keep showing and reporting that it is still updating (in fact it may have already finished!). Thus after a minute or two after initiating the firmware update, open a new browser window and point it to 192.168.1.99
The first thing you should do after updating and loging in is to change the network back to DHCP client, then you'll be able to download cgminer, else you may (will) get a wget error.

Many thanks! I updated the firmware and then installed 4.6.1. The process seemed to go ok, but could you remind me how I check that the new cgminer is properly installed?  I only say that because if I look at the  system -> software tab, it says cgminer version is 3.12.0-1.  Possibly this screen doesn't get updated by loading 4.6.1, but thought I'd better check! Smiley
October 11, 2014, 05:33:12 PM

Was it this one - antMiner_S320140826.bin which it says supports S3+?  Is it ok for original S3s as well?

Yes, the latest firmware (for the S3+) will work with an original S3. My S3's are batch 6, which was before the S3+.
Note that after updating the firmware, you will have to re-install 4.6.1 as the firmware still ships with the bitmain cgminer (I think version 3 ..?)

I hope you know the nuasances of updating antminer firmware! Here's a recap that gets a few people.
When you update the firmware, it will re-set the IP to the default one (can't recall, is it 192.168.1.99 ??) and set the network to static IP. So if you have any rigs on that IP, change them before you start.
Also since you'll be updating from a different IP, the UI will keep showing and reporting that it is still updating (in fact it may have already finished!). Thus after a minute or two after initiating the firmware update, open a new browser window and point it to 192.168.1.99
The first thing you should do after updating and loging in is to change the network back to DHCP client, then you'll be able to download cgminer, else you may (will) get a wget error.
October 11, 2014, 05:20:16 PM

Was it this one - antMiner_S320140826.bin which it says supports S3+?  Is it ok for original S3s as well?

October 11, 2014, 05:07:44 PM

Was it this one - antMiner_S320140826.bin which it says supports S3+?  Is it ok for original S3s as well?

October 11, 2014, 05:03:04 PM

October 11, 2014, 04:24:59 PM
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003
September 30, 2014, 02:57:38 PM
In south east europe currently my S3 temps are 47-49c so no attempt for overclocking until
winter comes...good to see the freqs 
Winter is coming! Russian winter.
September 28, 2014, 07:48:50 PM
Nice overclocks would be nice to get bfgminer support in these miners as cgminer just hogs everything.
Agreed, there is a duopoly of sorts with the cg/bfg miner mining software. Antminer (S1 / S2 / S3 / S3+ / series?) are on the TODO list for bfgminer, and that would be a good thing seeing (if we are to believe what we read!) a large percentage of the mining is done by Antminers. And who knows, we might even see hashing speed (and revenue) improvements if at all there still exists room for that with the astronomical difficulty increases of late.

HI PEKATETE

COULD YOU EXPLAIN TO US DETAILS ABOUT

chip_freq
| freq_value |   timeout |   GH/s(avg) |   HW Errors

WHAT DOES MEANS ?

COULD YOU TELL US HOW TO MANAGE THE ANTMINER INTERFACE?

COULD YOU TELL US THE MEANING OF EACH ONE PARAMETER?

THANKS!

1. chip_freq | freq_value | timeout -  these are the settings I applied to the asic-freq file (the unit is STILL running the stock S3 batch 6 firmware so no advanced tab!)
2. GH/s(avg) | HW Errors - these are the results I get having run the rig for at least a day (as per the image(s)).

I am not sure I can throw any authoritative light on how to manage the interface, as there is really nothing to manage as far as I can tell. But if you have a specific question / query, I'll offer my opinion.
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
September 28, 2014, 06:07:46 PM
Nice overclocks would be nice to get bfgminer support in these miners as cgminer just hogs everything.
Agreed, there is a duopoly of sorts with the cg/bfg miner mining software. Antminer (S1 / S2 / S3 / S3+ / series?) are on the TODO list for bfgminer, and that would be a good thing seeing (if we are to believe what we read!) a large percentage of the mining is done by Antminers. And who knows, we might even see hashing speed (and revenue) improvements if at all there still exists room for that with the astronomical difficulty increases of late.

HI PEKATETE

COULD YOU EXPLAIN TO US DETAILS ABOUT

chip_freq
| freq_value |   timeout |   GH/s(avg) |   HW Errors

WHAT DOES MEANS ?

COULD YOU TELL US HOW TO MANAGE THE ANTMINER INTERFACE?

COULD YOU TELL US THE MEANING OF EACH ONE PARAMETER?

THANKS!
September 15, 2014, 05:54:19 PM
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001
September 15, 2014, 05:03:01 PM
September 13, 2014, 05:56:38 AM
I upgraded the S3 with the latest cgminer 4.6 and have added the test results over a day to the OP.
Activity: 42
September 11, 2014, 02:35:33 PM
i will try 275mhz with the new cgminer
can help with the values because i only have 250mhz mhz max
now they are working fine at 250mhz, its bach1 with last firmwere and 4.6.0 cgminer
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
September 08, 2014, 01:21:10 PM
In south east europe currently my S3 temps are 47-49c so no attempt for overclocking until
winter comes...good to see the freqs 
September 08, 2014, 08:04:20 AM
you're in luck cgminer 4.6.0 built for ANTMINERS

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8722578
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll download onto my overclocked S3 and report back here (and there!).

UPDATE:
Got the latest cgminer installed on the overclocked S3 and it is hashing away nicely. Will update after its been running for a while.
To get it, I did this:
1. SSH into the S3 and login
2. Issue the following commands sequentially.
  a) cd /usr/bin
  b) mv cgminer cgminer.bak
  c) wget http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/antminer/s3/4.6.0-140908/cgminer
  d) chmod +x cgminer
  e) reboot
Activity: 17
September 08, 2014, 07:53:20 AM
you're in luck cgminer 4.6.0 built for ANTMINERS

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8722578
September 07, 2014, 04:55:06 PM
what firmwere do you use in the s3
The original firmware (i.e without the advanced tab settings). I have never had any issues with the unit so I did not think it wise to update the firmware. I am waiting on an "opensource" cgminer for the S3 if ever that pops up and may try that out, other than that, IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!
I think units from batch 6 upwards are quite solid for overclocking, though some earlier batches could also be.
Activity: 42
September 07, 2014, 04:39:42 PM
what firmwere do you use in the s3
August 28, 2014, 02:26:51 PM
What kind of concern do you have for damaging the unit? I believe I have batch 5 units, can I expect similar results?

I did not have any concern about damaging the unit, rather damaging the PSU. As mentioned, it is a 550 watt psu and since I could not measure the "wall" wattage at the overclocked speeds, I was worried I may be stretching the PSU beyond its reasonable capacity. Mind you, I have been running my S3 at the higher clock speed since and still hashing away without much ceremony!
Pages:
Jump to: