Pages:
Author

Topic: Antminer S9 FW with voltage/fan/frequency control - page 2. (Read 3209 times)

Activity: 133
Merit: 15
~ Fortuna Favet Fortibus ~
The readings are right, i have a lot of S9's and i loaded 650 FF FW and the temps went crazy.. some showed 82 temp but in the firmware it said display upto 82 only so god only knows what the temps were.. for that extra 1.5TH it aint worth burning your boards..
Just my opinion.. tried and tested.. i have auto freq on all of mine.. loading the 650 FF FW is for very cold climates

82°C-95°C I think just fine for Antminer devices.. Don't be afraid like that,this devices can handling with max. 125 °C.so I wrote to Bitmain and they said me this.
Activity: 168
Merit: 0
Can somebody please tell me if I get this right:
The difference between the fixed frequenc firmwares is the voltage, right? So If I load the 650M firmware on a S9 with stock 14TH, it will assume it has good chips and give them LOWER voltage than the 600M firmware, right?

So could i just load the 650M firmware on my S9 and check what frequency it accepts?
Problem is that as soon as I load the fixed frequency firmware, the temps show above 100°C. But i think the readings are not right...

Any advice?

The readings are right, i have a lot of S9's and i loaded 650 FF FW and the temps went crazy.. some showed 82 temp but in the firmware it said display upto 82 only so god only knows what the temps were.. for that extra 1.5TH it aint worth burning your boards..
Just my opinion.. tried and tested.. i have auto freq on all of mine.. loading the 650 FF FW is for very cold climates
Activity: 306
Merit: 7
Can somebody please tell me if I get this right:
The difference between the fixed frequenc firmwares is the voltage, right? So If I load the 650M firmware on a S9 with stock 14TH, it will assume it has good chips and give them LOWER voltage than the 600M firmware, right?

So could i just load the 650M firmware on my S9 and check what frequency it accepts?
Problem is that as soon as I load the fixed frequency firmware, the temps show above 100°C. But i think the readings are not right...

Any advice?
Activity: 3
Great write up binary works great. How do i control the fan speed i have tried changing it in the config and its been removed from the hidden cgi-bin/minerAdvanced.cgi only frequency is on there do i need to use a external pwm controller with a remote temp sensor? I installed the fixed frequency for the 600mhz miner on my 12.5th auto frequency miner and its working great with the exception it runs hotter than i like and can't change the fan. Any suggestions?

If i set frequency to 650 or over voltage gets set to 9.4 no matter what binary i use am i doing something wrong?
Activity: 538
Merit: 175
Still, aren't the "standard" UI options selectable when you inspect the page and display them?

Yes but unless you have recompiled bmminer for fixed frequency, it will ignore your frequency setting. Also, you need to change the voltage hierarchy to provide a higher voltage like 9.4V for frequencies like 850 MHz.
Activity: 11
I have tested on an S9i, and perhaps some things are different, because I noticed:

1) Fans run slower, even when forced 100%, they do not hit the same speeds as with stock bmminer
2) Temps are much hotter, so it seems this is not being set correctly for S9i
Activity: 1022
Merit: 221
We are not retail.
Kind of with NotFuzzyWarm on this. Overclocking a space heater? Seems like a good idea. ..

Really though, it would be nice to have voltage adjustment and use it. I get modding but unless you got a cheap unit or decent sized mine I wouldn't play around too much for extra hash during an off quarter. Rather not spend time troubleshooting and dissembling. Still, aren't the "standard" UI options selectable when you inspect the page and display them? And why run someone else's firmware?

Glad it's working though, enjoy.
Activity: 287
Merit: 18
68/64/66  solid @14TH
Ah brother be careful.. it might be hashing like crazy but be careful of the temps. its not the HW errors that are the issue its the temps....read above^^

Right, heat kills. I have upgraded the fans and have them set at 100%, and I also have lowered the temp protection cutoff just in case.
Thanks for this detailed guide, I now have a miner running stable at 16.6 TH/s with no HW errors.

Ah brother be careful.. it might be hashing like crazy but be careful of the temps. its not the HW errors that are the issue its the temps....read above^^
Thanks for this detailed guide, I now have a miner running stable at 16.6 TH/s with no HW errors.
^^ Not a bad idea to keep speeds down. One concern would be the higher current the chips will be drawing and connections to the buck inductor. Some of the miners have rather poor solder connections. The connections on BOTH SIDES of the boards should look like this and be completely filled with solder:

[...]

Many times soldering on the backside will be very marginal. If you think you can reflow the connections be aware that because of the very thick copper leads you will need a very high wattage iron - at least 100w.

Agreed 100%! short term gain long term loss!
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
^^ Not a bad idea to keep speeds down. One concern would be the higher current the chips will be drawing and connections to the buck inductor. Some of the miners have rather poor solder connections. The connections on BOTH SIDES of the boards should look like this and be completely filled with solder:

Many times soldering on the backside will be very marginal. If you think you can reflow the connections be aware that because of the very thick copper leads you will need a very high wattage iron - at least 100w.
I tested this firmware with a few S9's and none of them report the temp with this firmware. Not sure what he put in it that is causing it but on some machines you cant read s9 temp

In all honesty I like the idea that i can hash 14,250 TH to 15,500 Th BUT at what cost?.. last night i reloaded the Auto Adjust Fq back onto my S9's, I fear that i am reducing the life of my miners by alot!
for the few extra pounds i prefer to have peace of the mind that the temps are good. its not the ASIC temp to only worry about its the boards that will overheat and burn out. So until its better known ground i am going back to standard.
Activity: 801
Merit: 293
Created AutoTune to saved the planet! ~USA
Is this Ok? It says Warning Chain has no temp will fix it..

[...]

I tested this firmware with a few S9's and none of them report the temp with this firmware. Not sure what he put in it that is causing it but on some machines you cant read s9 temp
I personally think the 650M Firmware, leaving it at 650Mhz is what you are looking for that will give you 13,900 Th with no temp rises, the temp rise from what i see is that the Auto Adjust Fq firmware the fans run up to 6000 which keeps them cooler, where the fans on 600M and 650M run to about 4600.. the HW faults come from a poor pool from my experience, do you use Slush?..they seem to be the cleanest

Ok ran at 650M and 662M for  a week now, went up to 668M and running completely fine hashing 14,300Th temps are stable at 82.

[...]

Hay buddy, I have been running these S9's for almost a week at 14,300, 14,400 Th but i dont see much movement in the chip temps they seem static at 81, 82..maybe that is the temps,, do you have the same readings?..
In the Kernal log it says :

Code:
set FAN speed according to: temp_highest=82 temp_top1[PWM_T]=82 temp_top1[TEMP_POS_LOCAL]=72 temp_change=0 fix_fan_steps=-15
FAN PWM: 54
read_temp_func Done!
CRC error counter=0

Cheers
Jase

Is this Ok? It says Warning Chain has no temp will fix it..

Code:
max freq = 675
set baud=1
Chain[J6] PIC temp offset=62,0,0,0,0,0,35,28
Chain[J6] chip[244] use PIC middle temp offset=0 typeID=55
New offset Chain[5] chip[244] local:51 remote:51 offset:32
Chain[J6] chip[244] get middle temp offset=32 typeID=55
Chain[J6] chip[136] use PIC middle temp offset=28 typeID=00
Warning: Chain[J6] has no temp offset in PIC! will fix it[/b][/size][/size]
New offset Chain[5] chip[244] local:48 remote:49 offset:31
Chain[J6] chip[244] get middle temp offset=31 typeID=55
Chain[J7] PIC temp offset=62,0,0,0,0,0,35,28
Chain[J7] chip[244] use PIC middle temp offset=0 typeID=55
New offset Chain[6] chip[244] local:43 remote:45 offset:29
Chain[J7] chip[244] get middle temp offset=29 typeID=55
Chain[J7] chip[136] use PIC middle temp offset=28 typeID=00
Warning: Chain[J7] has no temp offset in PIC! will fix it
New offset Chain[6] chip[244] local:42 remote:43 offset:30
Chain[J7] chip[244] get middle temp offset=30 typeID=55
Chain[J8] PIC temp offset=62,0,0,0,0,0,35,28
Chain[J8] chip[244] use PIC middle temp offset=0 typeID=55
New offset Chain[7] chip[244] local:43 remote:46 offset:28
Chain[J8] chip[244] get middle temp offset=28 typeID=55
Chain[J8] chip[136] use PIC middle temp offset=28 typeID=00
Warning: Chain[J8] has no temp offset in PIC! will fix it
New offset Chain[7] chip[244] local:41 remote:44 offset:28
Chain[J8] chip[244] get middle temp offset=28 typeID=55
Chain[J6] set working voltage=870 [125]
Chain[J7] set working voltage=870 [125]
Chain[J8] set working voltage=870 [125]
setStartTimePoint total_tv_start_sys=33762 total_tv_end_sys=33763
restartNum = 2 , auto-reinit enabled...
do read_temp_func once...
do check_asic_reg 0x08
Activity: 17
If someone could help I am not able to change the fan speeds at all.

I have got a 13.5 T Antminer S9 and with the 650M Fixed Freq firmware my fans just keep on doing High and low every minute.

I am trying to fix the fan speeds at 90% but the fans seem to be auto adjusting.

Below is the content of my bmminer.conf

Code:
"api-listen" : true,
"api-network" : true,
"api-groups" : "A:stats:pools:devs:summary:version",
"api-allow" : "A:0/0,W:*",
"bitmain-use-vil" : true,
"bitmain-fan-ctrl" : true,
"bitmain-fan-pwm" : "90",
"bitmain-freq" : "650",
"bitmain-voltage" : "0706",
"multi-version" : "1"

Thanks.
Thanks a lot for this excellent work.

I live in an extremely hot area so for me reducing the heat is important and so I have tried the 840 and 820 version, somehow the 830 version is missing from the download folder.

I just want to run my antminers near the default speeds with reduced temperatures and less HW errors, please advise the best way.

On 840 with freq of 650 the temp are almost the same.

On 820 with 650 with speeds get reduced and HW errors start occurring.

Thanks.

I personally think the 650M Firmware, leaving it at 650Mhz is what you are looking for that will give you 13,900 Th with no temp rises, the temp rise from what i see is that the Auto Adjust Fq firmware the fans run up to 6000 which keeps them cooler, where the fans on 600M and 650M run to about 4600.. the HW faults come from a poor pool from my experience, do you use Slush?..they seem to be the cleanest
Activity: 17
Thanks a lot for this excellent work.

I live in an extremely hot area so for me reducing the heat is important and so I have tried the 840 and 820 version, somehow the 830 version is missing from the download folder.

I just want to run my antminers near the default speeds with reduced temperatures and less HW errors, please advise the best way.

On 840 with freq of 650 the temp are almost the same.

On 820 with 650 with speeds get reduced and HW errors start occurring.

Thanks.
Just try what your PSU accept. It has overload protection, so in case it will be overloaded, it will shut itself off.

You have really helped me understand my S9's firmware and overclocking them, just want to say thank you RadekG2
Pages:
Jump to: