Pages:
Author

Topic: Antminer S9 March 4th, 2019 firmware experience? - page 2. (Read 1179 times)

legendary
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8075
'The right to privacy matters'
Well s-9's are dirt cheap.

if you do 100 at 13.5 th and use  1250 watts  to be a total of 125000 watts or 125 kwatts  getting 1350 th

on the software you have  it may seem good to you.

but

150 s9's   at  10 th  using 810 watts =

1500 th  using 121500 watts

so you have an extra 150 th  which is 0.176 btc  a month  or 916 usd a month

of course you are running 50 more pieces of gear  which may have been  150 each with psu or 7500 / 916 or 8.18 month to pay.

but  you so have  3500 less watts used and that is 1 m20 so you can argue what is best.  it is pretty close.

I am not sure I want to run 150 s9's vs 100 s9's to earn 916 extra.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 6424
be constructive or S.T.F.U
@Artemis3

Non of the above factors matters to me as i have totally free power for all my gears, the reason why i never went with BraiinsOS in the first place was the extra time needed to flash all the gears, i also don't know much exactly each s9s consumes with this 2019 firmware, but by looking at the voltage regulators that are installed for some of them its something between 1250w and 1300w more or less.

So technically i have no problem with the 2019 firmware (yet), but as far as the "bounty" goes i would be willing to make a good donation to the first person who break this firmware, tho i am not a big fan when it comes to bounties in such cases, as most of us here provide all kind of information and tools for free, but still if you or anyone else for that matter wants a bounty for it - i will be the first to reward them.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
well, they obviously have not offered me that as an "option" , i am aware of this this method, but noway on earth i will waste all that time to flash every s9 , not when the current firmware is running just fine, also given the fact that i have recently disassembled all my gears and cleaned them   (in the preparation of summer where temps can go above 40 degrees celsius / 104f ) so  i am not going to have to deal with them again now, maybe till winter.

i am also still trying to figure out another method that could be applied on a software level instead, here is the first attempt by  @thierry4wd >https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/downgrade-antimner-s9-remove-security-firmware-5131840 , no success so far, but let's hope one of us work something out.

At some point you should be seriously scheduling this. I got an independent report from a miner that reached 78t/w on S9s using BraiinsOS. You have a serious profit incentive to do so... And the longer you take, the more you lose.

It is smart not to jump when anything "new" comes, especially if you are committed to so many units. You should have waited patiently for reports from others. When i first heard that S15s did this, i got the feeling they might be tempted to "port back" the same garbage to their older units, and indeed they have...

So with 100 S9s how much do you think 78t/w would consume? Why, 1.3PH @ 1014KW of course. I bet you currently are using around 1170KW, does saving 156KW sound good enough for you?

Besides if you go BraiinsOS you can downclock and aim to 10T per unit at 800ish W and much lower temperatures, not as nice as 78t/w but a decent 80t/w. How much are you consuming with this 2019 firmware right now?

Ok, you can always wait if someone can break it via software alone, or perhaps give them financial incentive to do so (post a bounty in services?)
legendary
well, they obviously have not offered me that as an "option" , i am aware of this this method, but noway on earth i will waste all that time to flash every s9 , not when the current firmware is running just fine, also given the fact that i have recently disassembled all my gears and cleaned them   (in the preparation of summer where temps can go above 40 degrees celsius / 104f ) so  i am not going to have to deal with them again now, maybe till winter.

i am also still trying to figure out another method that could be applied on a software level instead, here is the first attempt by  @thierry4wd >https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/downgrade-antimner-s9-remove-security-firmware-5131840 , no success so far, but let's hope one of us work something out.
copper member
Activity: 658
Merit: 101
Math doesn't care what you believe.
Here is an update regarding the S9 March 2019 firmware.

as far as the firmware goes, all of my gears have been running smoothly without an issue, temps are fine, hashrate reported by the pool is good, nothing really to complain about.

but as far as the downgrading of the firmware, i have tried every possible solution at my disposal with no luck, not that i  "need" to flash another firmware, but i don't like that fact that i have to be stuck with this firmware. it is really annoying.

I have contacted Bitmain, they were pretty straight forward and said there is nothing they would about it, in other orders they said "you have to live with it".

Which is not true.  You can downgrade via the sdhc card as outlined at the Bitmain site.  We have down well over 20 downgrades without a hitch, more almost every day.

https://support.bitmain.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019493654-S9-series-S9-S9i-S9j-S9-Hydro-Control-Board-Program-Recovery
legendary
Here is an update regarding the S9 March 2019 firmware.

as far as the firmware goes, all of my gears have been running smoothly without an issue, temps are fine, hashrate reported by the pool is good, nothing really to complain about.

but as far as the downgrading of the firmware, i have tried every possible solution at my disposal with no luck, not that i  "need" to flash another firmware, but i don't like that fact that i have to be stuck with this firmware. it is really annoying.

I have contacted Bitmain, they were pretty straight forward and said there is nothing they would about it, in other orders they said "you have to live with it".
legendary
This is good to hear, and i have read people "rescuing" boards with failed sensors that otherwise work fine, by using BraiinsOS which has an option to ignore sensors or even fans. Normally you would need to spend more money by getting replacement boards (or repair them), but now you have this choice, as long as you keep away from 2019 firmware that would lock you out from your own miner.
copper member
I'm sorry i didn't catch this earlier. DO NOT upgrade to Bitmain's firmware from 2019, it removes SSH access!!!

Ah... Yeah...  Going through the rather time consuming process of resetting via SD-Card now.  At least it gives me an excuse to clean each machine.

Have all the troubled 13TH Antminers working again.  Key was to boost the voltage up a bit per card.  Didn't have to do that with the 13.5s or 14s, but it was a regular event on the 13s.

Oh, for what its worth:  while I had my workbench setup for recovery, I grabbed a stack of "broken" S9 controllers.  Wanted to see if they would respond to being reset via the sdhc card.  Of (6) tried, all reset without problem.  I now have (2) of them running 14TH S9 that burned up their controllers during a snow storm last November.  (2) of the others had real problems:  one wouldn't bring up the ethernet adapter, the other would not recognize a fan as existing (fan we running, but I'm guessing it couldn't sense the speed.  Fan is working fine with another controller.)  But still, managed to at least rescue 2, and the other two are maybes.
legendary
I'm sorry i didn't catch this earlier. DO NOT upgrade to Bitmain's firmware from 2019, it removes SSH access!!!
Activity: 465
Merit: 309
Are the controllers different models? If it doesn't like LPEM there might be a setting in enhanced mode that controller / sub model doesn't like.
copper member
Its not pool related - I have over 70 other 13.5TH and 14TH S9s mining against the same pool without issue.
legendary
Here is the same machine without LPM and LPEM enabled.

https://puu.sh/DdNkw/952e6a0432.png

Short form:  It behaves fine.

Tried just enabling LPM mode, and the unit works fine.

Been watching it since it rebooted with both LPM and LPEM enabled.  Hashrate started out at a respectable 9TH, but within 15 minutes was down to 5TH and dropping.

Well then i suggest you leave ELPM disabled with LPM enabled and keep them that way. I'm not very sure if this is pool or controller related, you could try different pools but its probably not worth it.
copper member
Here is the same machine without LPM and LPEM enabled.

Short form:  It behaves fine.

Tried just enabling LPM mode, and the unit works fine.

Been watching it since it rebooted with both LPM and LPEM enabled.  Hashrate started out at a respectable 9TH, but within 15 minutes was down to 5TH and dropping.
legendary
Been running for a few days now.  Firmware seems to be reliable on 13.5TH and 14TH machines, but having problems with most of my 13TH boxes.   This is typical:

https://puu.sh/DdG80/3d228c9db0.png

Any clues on what might be happening or how to get their hashrates back up?  7 of my 10 13TH boxes are doing this, 3 appear fine.

For testing purposes, try disabling LPM and ELPM and see if it makes a difference.

Do they have something else in common? Same controller/PSU model vs the other 3 that are fine?
copper member
Tried the "do it quickly after IP Button" approach using Chrome (Windows 7 though) without luck, but thanks for the reference.  Trying the SD-Slot now.

Been running for a few days now.  Firmware seems to be reliable on 13.5TH and 14TH machines, but having problems with most of my 13TH boxes.   This is typical:

Any clues on what might be happening or how to get their hashrates back up?  7 of my 10 13TH boxes are doing this, 3 appear fine.
legendary
can you try this method > https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.50519867

i had a batch that did not allow me to change the firmware, it also refused ssh connection , it's not exactly the same issue, but give it a shot.
copper member
So far, this is the only thing I have not tried that shows promise as a downgrade approach.  Note it requires disassembly of your S9 to gain access to the control board jumpers.  I'll likely try this later this week.  Only good side:  since you will have your hash cards out, its a fine time to clean them!

https://support.bitmain.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019493654-S9-series-S9-S9i-S9j-S9-Hydro-Control-Board-Program-Recovery
Activity: 465
Merit: 309
There is a simple yet effective way to by pass that stupid signature thing , you can follow my thread here > https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.48938476

in case that does not work, copy  the code in this file

upgrade.cgi

post it here and i will alter the code so that it it will allow you to downgrade to any firmware you want.

This would be useful, but they also limited ssh ability so there is no way to ssh in to edit the file.
legendary
Update:  Nope, the 1218 firmware results in the same "Cannot find signature" error that other previous releases I've tried die with.

There is a simple yet effective way to by pass that stupid signature thing , you can follow my thread here > https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.48938476

in case that does not work, copy  the code in this file

upgrade.cgi

post it here and i will alter the code so that it it will allow you to downgrade to any firmware you want.
copper member
Have you tried to factory reset the miner? If not try to reset it first it might enable the ssh back.

You can follow the "3 ways to factory reset the miner"

Yes, all three fail.  All three do, however, reset the mining pools back to Bitmain defaults (which isn't a bad way to know what one ties did take).

I have a ticket into Bitmain requesting a procedure to allow me to backlevel to the November release.  Think I'll try just going back to December and see if it allows that.

Update:  Nope, the 1218 firmware results in the same "Cannot find signature" error that other previous releases I've tried die with.
Pages:
Jump to: