Pages:
Author

Topic: Any ASRock 970 Extreme4 owners out there? Problems with GPUs - page 2. (Read 13771 times)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0
I have powered pci-e 1x slots.
So can you confirm I will not need to short the 1xPCI-e slots for all 5 cards to work?

Hello,

I'm wondering the same. Has anyone figured out?  Smiley

Okay, so if anyone wonders, I have the two PCIe 1x populated, no jumping needed.  Wink

Just for clarification, are you running 5 cards on that asrock 970 extreme 4?

4 cards
Activity: 22
So can you confirm I will not need to short the 1xPCI-e slots for all 5 cards to work?

Hello,

Okay, so if anyone wonders, I have the two PCIe 1x populated, no jumping needed.  Wink

Just for clarification, are you running 5 cards on that asrock 970 extreme 4?

Hello,

Hello,

Activity: 300
Merit: 250
Activity: 406
Merit: 251
I had 3 of these boards, usually ran 4 cards in them but did have 1 board running 5 cards. You are using powered risers correct? You need at least 2 of them. I ran i think 3 of the cars on 1x to 16x ribbons.
Activity: 300
So just to clarify...

Does this motherboard require you to short any of the PCI-E slots?

Thanks
Activity: 506
Merit: 500
I have that exact same mobo, I used 16x to 1x or just 1x risers on all the pci-e slots, and have it working with 5 GPUs with no hassle since july 2012. Although recently it became unstable if I had a card on an specific pci-e slot, don't know what happened.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Yes.

See my thread in this forum titled "Does CPU affect how many GPUs you can run".

What ended up working for me was shorting the prescence pins on the 5th card and booting BAMT in safe mode.

But yea see my other thread.
Activity: 27
Install the latest AMD driver, and switch cards that the monitor plugs into to overclock each card.

Also, be sure you have a good full tower case with side fans and a fan on top
Activity: 16
Did you ever get it to work with 5?
So I got it running with 4 cards now.

3 plugged straight into the board no risers, then 1 on a X1 adapter riser.  I tried this with 5 and it wouldnt recognize the 5th card.

I would hate to have to run this with the cards plugged straight into the board.

I have read a few people say that this board was plug and play for them.  Either I am missing something or I got a bad board.
So I can get it to boot with 3 cards if they are all plugged directly into the board.  ie no risers.

I now just got it to boot 2 cards with risers.  One X16 extender and one X1 riser.  I actually had three cards installed it would only show 2.

I have again tried every combo again.  Cant get it to boot and show more than two cards.  On BAMT it says the two cards it is detecting are 1.00 and 2.00.

Did any of you guys running this board have to do anything to get your cards to show up?

Well I tried with one X16 extender and four X1's and it wont boot.

Tried with one X16 extender and three X1's and it still will not boot.

Wont even boot into the BIOS.  I tried to reset CMOS.

It does turn on there is just nothing displayed on the monitor.  I have tried hooking the monitor up to all the cards and still nothing.
970 boards only have 22 pci-e lanes. your running out of lanes with 5 gpu's you have to put 1x to 16x risers in a couple of the 16 slots. I usually use one card on the board and 4 1x to 16x risers with that particular board

Ohhh.  Didnt know that.  I also didnt know you could use X1 in a X16 slot.

I will try that and report back.

Thanks
Activity: 437
970 boards only have 22 pci-e lanes. your running out of lanes with 5 gpu's you have to put 1x to 16x risers in a couple of the 16 slots. I usually use one card on the board and 4 1x to 16x risers with that particular board
Activity: 14
've tried with another operating system?
I have been trying to get an ASRock 970 Extreme4 board to work with 5 GPUs (even 4 would be nice.).  The board is on the BAMT hardware compatibility list and even has a side note that it is confirmed working with 5 GPUs.

The first time I booted it I tried with 3 cards and it booted and worked fine.  So I shut it down and tried 5 cards.  It wouldn't boot.

So I went back to 3 cards and it wouldn't boot either.  I tried every combination of cards, risers (both powered and unpowered), and slots and the only way I could get it to boot was either without riser cables or with one card with a riser cable (X16 extender) in the second X16 slot.  And while I was trying different combinations trying to get it to boot sometimes it would boot but there would be no signal to the monitor.  No video.  Twice I even heard the GPUs go to 100% fan like they started mining like would usually happen if it booted into BAMT.

Weird since it booted the first time with 3 cards all on X16 extender risers.

I have updated the BIOS to the newest BIOS and I have also tried different RAM and GPUs so I know its not that.

According to the BAMT hardware compatibility list this is supposed to be a really good board to use for more than 4 GPUs.  With all the crazy stuff this board is doing I think I may have a bad board.

Any of you guys that have this board have to do anything different to get it to work?

Thanks
Pages:
Jump to: