Pages:
Author

Topic: Any girls had similar experiences online on bitcoin forums - page 2. (Read 228 times)

Activity: 2366
Merit: 866
I took interest in bitcoin in March during the crash (brilliant time to get into it), and instantly jumped on reddit to try and learn as much as I could. As soon as I commented something that involved pronouns aka giving away the fact Im a girl, I learned the crypto subreddit is full of incels.

Rule 1 of reddit: don't reveal you're a girl.
Rule 2 of reddit: Refer to rule 1.

It wasn't gross messages that bothered me, it was how patronising and condescending the users all were. I have done my research and whilst by no means am I an expert, I feel well versed enough in Bitcoin to be talking about it in real life to friends and peers. In real life that is met with vague interest (and a lot of eyerolls given Bitcoins reputation on the surface) but despite this, its a topic they seem to respect my knowledge in. Try to talk about it online though and somehow it feels like 'boys club' whilst they simultaneously complaining theres no girls to talk to.

Have other girls in the forum had similar experiences? I mean surely theres a reason theres such a small online presence of girls on these kinds of forums?

There is no discrimination of male / Female in bitcoin. Even by this post, there is no proof that you are a boy or a girl.
Anyways if you feel discomfortable  in disclosing on the forums that you are a girl , then you have done the same mistake here  Cool
Activity: 22
Merit: 69
I took interest in bitcoin in March during the crash (brilliant time to get into it), and instantly jumped on reddit to try and learn as much as I could. As soon as I commented something that involved pronouns aka giving away the fact Im a girl, I learned the crypto subreddit is full of incels.

Rule 1 of reddit: don't reveal you're a girl.
Rule 2 of reddit: Refer to rule 1.

It wasn't gross messages that bothered me, it was how patronising and condescending some users were. I have done my research and whilst by no means am I an expert, I feel well versed enough in Bitcoin to be talking about it in real life to friends and peers. In real life that is met with vague interest (and a lot of eyerolls given Bitcoins reputation on the surface) but despite this, its a topic they seem to respect my knowledge in. Try to talk about it online though and somehow it feels like 'boys club' whilst they simultaneously complaining theres no girls to talk to.

Have other girls in the forum had similar experiences? I mean surely theres a reason theres such a small online presence of girls on these kinds of forums?

EDIT

A few people seem to think I'm saying 'all men', 'discrimination', 'oH WoW lOoK aT Me iM a gOrL gIVe atTentIoN pLEs' etc etc.
Im not. If you think I'm saying that then chances are you dont get outside enough.
Bitcoin is literally just a currency, theres no social politics behind it (in terms of discrimination and whatnot). I know theres fewer girls in the crypto scene which is fine, if they aren't interested that isn't my business.

I can see a look of people have commented 'no one cares about gender here' and tbh, that isn't what I asked. I mean its good to read that, but that wasn't the question at hand. I know the majority doesn't care about gender, that is how real life is and how the majority of the internet is. I was just asking after other girls experiences in the cryptoscene in general.

On that note, someone did post the gender ratio and that is informative enough, Ive been lurking for a while and here beats reddit anyway Grin
Pages:
Jump to: