Pages:
Author

Topic: Any truth to this? Cryptsy lawsuit? - page 2. (Read 5940 times)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001
October 24, 2014, 05:52:23 PM
The Cryptsy lawsuit is about someone allegedly losing 140BTC via trades on the exchange despite maintaining control of his/her account, then alleges that Cryptsy transferred all BTC out of the account.

It also says something along the lines of the plaintiff believing that BTC sent to one wallet address should remain in that wallet address in a specifically isolated account from other users BTC, and that this should be a standard on all exchanges.

Heres Cryptsy's reply:
from http://blog.cryptsy.com/

Response regarding lawsuit

There was quite a bit of PR pushed out yesterday from a law firm that stated that they were filing a lawsuit against Cryptsy and myself. The complaint alleges that Crytpsy misled users and was negligent in security. They represent a single user.  We have close to 300,000 users at this point. We have reviewed the unofficial complaint and believe that it is without merit. We intend to defend the case vigorously.

We would like to note that we have not received any documentation or official notification concerning any lawsuit yet.  We also find it unprofessional that the law firm decided to push out such a large PR campaign prior to serving any notice.  It should also be noted that according to the user terms of our site, disputes are to be handled via arbitration.  

We realize that there have been a few ”Bad Actors” in the crypto-currency space running exchanges and other services.  Cryptsy strives for transparency and doing what is right.  This lawsuit attempts to place us in the same group as many of these bad actors, but this is simply not how we operate.  We are not a fly by night operation, we are a company that plans to be around for a long time.   Our desire is to be the model of how to operate a crypto business.

As I’m sure many of you are aware, we take security very seriously.  We pride ourselves on being one of the most secure places to trade on the internet.  The crypto-currency space has been the target for a lot of hackers over the last year due to the increase in value of Bitcoin.  These hackers  not only target Cryptsy users, but users of many other Bitcoin services.  

In this case the attack on the user making the claim came from within their own computer.  This is currently one of the most common attacks by hackers.   While we try to educate our users on how to secure their local environment, we ultimately have no control of a users computer system.

So as a reminder I’d like to reiterate a few security tips:

- Do not leave your computer logged into your Cryptsy account when you are away from your computer

- Do not install browser extensions from unknown developers

- Do not install mining software from unknown developers on the same computer you use to access Cryptsy

- Run a virus scan regularly.  

- Make sure you use 2fa on your Cryptsy account

Paul Vernon
"BigVern"
Cryptsy.com

So, one unhappy Cryptsy user is behind the suit, and his issue is that BTC has 'evaporated' from his wallet.
I had a similar feeling buying CraftCoin.....

Anyone got any ideas about the Bitcoin Savings and Trust suit ? That scam is so old, it even pre-dates MtGOX, so who's putting up the cash to pursue it?

legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011
Franko is Freedom
October 24, 2014, 05:51:34 PM
Doesnt look legit imho

http://www.silverlaw.com/securities-lawyers/2014/10/silver-law-group-files-lawsuits-against-cryptocurrency-exchanges-bitcoin-savings-trust-and-cryptsy/

Silver Law Group has filed two lawsuits, one against Texas-based Bitcoin Savings & Trust (operated by Trendon Shavers) and another against Florida-based Cryptsy (operated by Paul Vernon).  According to the Complaints, investors have been victimized by deceptive and misleading tactics, such as claims of profits of 7% weekly interest or of a safe and reliable platform to trade cryptocurrencies free from excessive fees and commissions.  While Mr. Shavers raised more than 700,000 Bitcoin in principal investments from investors, those Bitcoins have disappeared.  Likewise, investors with Cryptsy, which CoinDesk has touted as “the largest crypto-to-crypto exchange,” have seen their accounts emptied and Bitcoin simply disappear.  On behalf of its clients, Silver Law Group has pursued nearly $12 million in restitution from these online operators.

All this looks so bad. Is there any good exchange at all?  If there will be exchanges scamming people one way or another every month, crypto will not move anywhere at all.

Thing is, cryptsy never scammed anyone.
legendary
Franko is Freedom
October 24, 2014, 05:49:16 PM
Ive been having troubles logging in now for about an hour, The charts are not updating either, Lucky for me I was warned by an early adopter that we need to take all of our coins out of the exchanges asap about a week ago. Anybody else having problems with the site?

Looks like a sockpuppet trying to take advantage of cryptsy maintenance to plant a little fud. The devil never sleeps.
Activity: 588
Merit: 504
October 24, 2014, 04:34:47 PM
Bitcoin Savings and Trust was/is a frikking huge BTC scam:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130723/16121723913/sec-confirms-that-bitcoin-savings-trust-was-ponzi-scheme-files-lawsuit.shtml

700.000 Bitcoin collected, apparently.

those will be dumped, and this is why btc is declining so badly, if people stop following this no sense-shitty ipo campaign

Huh when did you crawl out from under your rock?
 BS&T happened years ago. Perpetrator was fined $40 million USD already
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
October 24, 2014, 03:25:25 PM
Please see our official statement regarding this lawsuit:
http://blog.cryptsy.com/
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
October 24, 2014, 02:31:16 PM
Doesnt look legit imho

http://www.silverlaw.com/securities-lawyers/2014/10/silver-law-group-files-lawsuits-against-cryptocurrency-exchanges-bitcoin-savings-trust-and-cryptsy/

Silver Law Group has filed two lawsuits, one against Texas-based Bitcoin Savings & Trust (operated by Trendon Shavers) and another against Florida-based Cryptsy (operated by Paul Vernon).  According to the Complaints, investors have been victimized by deceptive and misleading tactics, such as claims of profits of 7% weekly interest or of a safe and reliable platform to trade cryptocurrencies free from excessive fees and commissions.  While Mr. Shavers raised more than 700,000 Bitcoin in principal investments from investors, those Bitcoins have disappeared.  Likewise, investors with Cryptsy, which CoinDesk has touted as “the largest crypto-to-crypto exchange,” have seen their accounts emptied and Bitcoin simply disappear.  On behalf of its clients, Silver Law Group has pursued nearly $12 million in restitution from these online operators.

All this looks so bad. Is there any good exchange at all?  If there will be exchanges scamming people one way or another every month, crypto will not move anywhere at all.
legendary
Activity: 1090
Merit: 1000
October 24, 2014, 02:26:50 PM
Cryptsy has always had issues with regards to stability. Don't let that fool you into thinking its going down at any moment.

I just use them for shitcoins that get delisted elsewhere (bittrex, ccex, polo, etc.). Cryptsy does not go delist crazy like the other guys and therefore deserves respect.

I will probably use them more now that Mintpal is toast.

As far as the lawsuit goes; sensationalism.

Regarding Chinese exchanges: Search ' Vircurex ' before you send your money off.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1002
October 24, 2014, 02:22:53 PM
Ive been having troubles logging in now for about an hour, The charts are not updating either, Lucky for me I was warned by an early adopter that we need to take all of our coins out of the exchanges asap about a week ago. Anybody else having problems with the site?

We are doing some maintenance right now that wasnt expected to occur for another few days but became a problem so it had to be done now. Wont be long

Never used the site, don't think i'm gonna sign up anytime soon man, F-that!

If anything the chinese exchanges are even more stable than that crap!

http://blog.cryptsy.com/post/100831839452/response-regarding-lawsuit
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
October 24, 2014, 02:07:21 PM
Never used the site, don't think i'm gonna sign up anytime soon man, F-that!

If anything the chinese exchanges are even more stable than that crap!
Link me chinese exchanges pls
Activity: 369
Merit: 250
Cryptsy.com • Got Shitcoins?
October 24, 2014, 01:32:27 PM
Crazy.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1030
Yes I am a pirate, 300 years too late!
October 24, 2014, 01:28:06 PM

I was a bit earlier, but was just able to login now.  Took a while though.
Activity: 325
October 24, 2014, 01:12:19 PM
legendary
Activity: 1540
FUD Philanthropist™
October 24, 2014, 01:10:10 PM
The Cryptsy lawsuit is about someone allegedly losing 140BTC via trades on the exchange despite maintaining control of his/her account, then alleges that Cryptsy transferred all BTC out of the account.

It also says something along the lines of the plaintiff believing that BTC sent to one wallet address should remain in that wallet address in a specifically isolated account from other users BTC, and that this should be a standard on all exchanges.

hmm i think i saw some guy like that maybe last last year making some claim like that on their chat box and months before too..
we all laughed at him and told him get better at trading lol
Activity: 574
Merit: 523
October 24, 2014, 01:02:30 PM

Taking this logic, your money on your bank account should remain intact 'physically' so bank may not 'borrow' it to give loans e.t.c. Good idea. It would kill the banking business.
Activity: 323
October 24, 2014, 12:49:56 PM

legendary
Franko is Freedom
October 24, 2014, 12:17:03 PM

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130723/16121723913/sec-confirms-that-bitcoin-savings-trust-was-ponzi-scheme-files-lawsuit.shtml

those will be dumped, and this is why btc is declining so badly, if people stop following this no sense-shitty ipo campaign

Yea it seems he deff has a case for that one, but not so much on cryptsy. It looks like the cryptsy case is an ambulance chase.
legendary
Activity: 1540
FUD Philanthropist™
October 24, 2014, 12:16:13 PM
700.000 Bitcoin collected ? WOW !
I never heard of that until this topic.. but i guess this is a FUD topic eh guys ..commence the crying LOL

will Cryptsy issue a statement about this ?

edit:
@defaced we posted at the same time hahah
thanks man but i don't know who jeebus is.
legendary
Franko is Freedom
October 24, 2014, 12:15:25 PM
did Mullick tell you that ?
i find it odd you would have found that out defaced.
thanks for the info though..

it may be hard for them to prove anything on Cryptsy i think.
and the other guy / service i never heard of..

edit:
in case some guys don't know the OP here has been good buddies with mods on Cryptsy going back at least mid-last year.
i was on a pool defaced ran for example that had me and Mullick on it for example.
and yeah he did a great job running the pool Wink

edit2:
By the way.. you misspelled "Truth" in your topic title, it's actually spelled F U D

Yea im friends with most of the cryptsy staff, but this was posted on twitter by jeebus first. That is where I found it anyways.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
October 24, 2014, 08:22:52 AM

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001
October 24, 2014, 08:21:35 AM

Edit: and, yeah, the law firm in question look legit and competent:
http://www.lawyers.com/coral-springs/florida/david-c-silver-157627922-a/
www.silverlaw.com

Pages:
Jump to: