Pages:
Author

Topic: anyone know anything about getting REALLY new cable/fiber ran to a rural home? - page 2. (Read 1584 times)

Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
Best option is to call your cable company and look into what they charge.

I disagree.  I'd call the pizza company and order a ham extra cheese, then wait for the infrastructure to come to me.  I'm worth it.
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
Best option is to call your cable company and look into what they charge.
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008
hey guys.

warning: i'm writing this at 3 am while very tired...

so, i currently live a bit out in the boonies. it's kinda rural in setting, on the edge of the larger dallas metroplex. and i can't even get DSL out here. i'm currently using a 3g wireless connection with verizon that thankfully has unlimited data, but maxes out around 300kbps.
no at&t u-verse or DSL, even cable tv isn't an option. we're just too far from the nearest hub thingy.

of course, when i say too far, what i've seen according to a site i can't remember now was that the houses about 100 yeards away (and possibly those across the street...) DID have cable.

so, who the hell do i talk to and how much would i have to fork over?

I know some one that had the same problem, he was only able to access internet via 3G, which gave him max 1.5Mbit in speed.

The person invested serious money in order to get a company to connect him with fiber. It have cost him €8000+ in total.

But he now enjoys 100/100Mbit speeds, HD tv, etc... For him it was worth the investment.

yea, i expected that sort of thing... long term project then. which is fine - my fiance and i will probably live out our lives here...
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427
hey guys.

so, i currently live a bit out in the boonies. it's kinda rural in setting, on the edge of the larger dallas metroplex. and i can't even get DSL out here. i'm currently using a 3g wireless connection with verizon that thankfully has unlimited data, but maxes out around 300kbps.
no at&t u-verse or DSL, even cable tv isn't an option. we're just too far from the nearest hub thingy.

of course, when i say too far, what i've seen according to a site i can't remember now was that the houses about 100 yeards away (and possibly those across the street...) DID have cable.

I know some one that had the same problem, he was only able to access internet via 3G, which gave him max 1.5Mbit in speed.

The person invested serious money in order to get a company to connect him with fiber. It have cost him €8000+ in total.

But he now enjoys 100/100Mbit speeds, HD tv, etc... For him it was worth the investment.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205
In Italy,  you need just to ask to the company who own the lines, and pay for the cost of the cable from the nearest junction box (they wI'll potentiate it for free if needed) to your home. But don't expect it to be cheap, even for an hundred meters.
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008
hey guys.

Pages:
Jump to: