Pages:
Author

Topic: Anyone know if I can switch my rigs PSUs over to 220V? - page 2. (Read 3135 times)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
One bitcoin to rule them all!
It's automatic and your friend is an idiot and shouldn't be an electrician.

+472
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
I just can't believe there's electricians that are so incompetent. I'm sticking to diy.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
It's still the same wattage being drawn by the cards, that much is true. But, at the same wattage and lower voltage, the amps go down, which means less heat (heat = wasted energy). This lowers are draw from th wall, and can lower your bill. Only by 1-2%, but still...
^This.  He's correct.

Roll Eyes
Activity: 642
It's still the same wattage being drawn by the cards, that much is true. But, at the same wattage and lower voltage, the amps go down, which means less heat (heat = wasted energy). This lowers are draw from th wall, and can lower your bill. Only by 1-2%, but still...
^This.  He's correct.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
it is STill the same number of watts, it is not magic you do not get anything for free......
Mmmm not quite. Most PSUs will run More efficient on a 220V line.

It's still the same wattage being drawn by the cards, that much is true. But, at the same wattage and higher voltage, the amps go down, which means less heat (heat = wasted energy). This lowers are draw from the wall, and can lower your bill. Only by 1-2%, but still...

EDIT: fixed a crucial mistake, and fixed a typo.
Activity: 168
lol.....
it is STill the same number of watts, it is not magic you do not get anything for free......

Yes they are switched mode PSU they work from about 95-350V,  they really do not care if they have been on 110 before.

Only point is to make sure there are no dust bunnies and they have GOOD ventilation round the components because at 240 the break-over distances will be reduced  if it is damp.

Yes, we european residents (and rest of the 220-240 V world) is plagued with PSU fires. lol
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
It's automatic and your friend is an idiot and shouldn't be an electrician.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
He said that some of the power supplies they use up there will take 110 or 220 also but that once you hook it up it always wants whatever it was hooked up to first.
Computer PSUs certainly do not behave this way. I doubt any device would...
Well sort of. They can take 110 or 220, but you can switch anytime you would like.
Activity: 231
He said that some of the power supplies they use up there will take 110 or 220 also but that once you hook it up it always wants whatever it was hooked up to first.

Computer PSUs certainly do not behave this way. I doubt any device would...
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005
lol.....

Yes they are switched mode PSU they work from about 95-350V,  they really do not care if they have been on 110 before.

Only point is to make sure there are no dust bunnies and they have GOOD ventilation round the components because at 240 the break-over distances will be reduced  if it is damp.

I think OP is wanting it to draw lower amps.
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
for active PFC PSUs you don't need to switch the voltage, but you should check the manual first.
for a passive PFC one there may be a voltage switch on the PSU
Activity: 308
Merit: 250

So he thinks they'd put a sensor and a circuit to remember that and burn it to memory forever, rather than just a sensor.

Think twice about allowing him to rewire your home.
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
yeah, thats why active PFC tends to survive a voltage surge more often than not, cuz they are extremely flexible ... and past the 300v range is when ur surge suppressor starts to clamp.
Activity: 399
lol.....

He isn't looking at anything.

He works as an electrician at Tropicana.  He said that some of the power supplies they use up there will take 110 or 220 also but that once you hook it up it always wants whatever it was hooked up to first.

He wasn't sure if the computer PSUs were the same.
Activity: 602
I worry about an electrician that can't simply look at a PSU Label, as all modern PSUs that I know of state that they are designed for 120 and 240 input. That aside, photon said it all.

Activity: 452
If it does not have a voltage selection switch, then it is a newer design with active PFC. A feature of an active PFC system is that the input voltage doesn't matter as long as it's within its design range.

You could literally plug it into an adjustable transformer and spin the knob up and down from 90-240vac and the psu wouldn't care.

If it's an older design with the red voltage switch in the back, you will just need to flip it to 240v and you will be good to go.
I have two 5 card rigs.

Each one has 2 PSUs.  The PSUs say they are 110-240V.  At 110V they use 12 amps, at 220V they use 6 amps.

My whole house is mostly wired with 15 amp breakers.

I have a friend who is an electrician and will come run me a couple 20 amp 220V breakers/outlets.

Only thing is he isn't sure if you can plug the PSUs up to 220 once they have been plugged into 110.

None of the PSUs have 110/220 switches on them.  They are supposed to automatically sense which V it is hooked up to.  But I know some PSUs (not computer ones) want whatever they are hooked up to originally.

So since I have already been running my PSUs on 110 can I switch them over to 220 or will they not like that now?

Much thanks!
Pages:
Jump to: