Pages:
Author

Topic: Anyone know what happened to knightmb and his 371,000 BTC? - page 3. (Read 81456 times)

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/06/26/195995672/man-indicted-in-scheme-to-blackmail-romney-over-tax-returns

been away and see this has been posted but man.

assuming he did do this why?

this reminds me of the matthew bet, but he did it with the govt :/

WOW! This no looks good.

Part of the evidence against Brown, authorities say, are computer records from last August that show he printed a map from the Internet that gave driving directions from his house to the local offices of Pricewaterhouse Coopers.

The letters were printed not on Brown's computer but on a friend's, according to the indictment, as Brown had emailed the person, identified only as "P.H.," to ask to use their printer, using the excuse that his own printer was out of ink.

Could P.H. be the starfish?  Grin
Activity: 108
Merit: 10
Free Dog to good home
Oh, I'm still alive and kicking.  Grin

Yeah, still have them, though like was said, it would not be possible to sell them all at once and become an instant millionaire.  No one is going to buy that many at once. I have kept my client running 24/7 since then though, managed to generate a bit more before the collective mining groups took over  Wink

Without the massive server farm I had going before, I'm just down to my personal desktop, so it's never gotten over the 371k since.

I do keep many, many backups though just in case  Cool

from someone who has alot of btc to lose from a hacker; do u keep a separate client and wallet online with minimal to no btc in it?  if so, how do i split off a separate wallet as well?

Yes, the wallet file sits a (2) CD-R and (1) flash drive (was just curious how long that flash drive would stay good) in a safe deposit box at the local bank.  The wallet file on my PC is not the same one that has all the BTC in it for security reasons.  Wink

While it is fun to fantasize about being rich, I know realistically, the BTC would work better as a monthly paycheck than a lotto ticket.

I hope some day I will have your concerns about security problems, that means mys 6 bitcoins worth a lot  Cry

By the way, I don't know knightmb but I'm happy he is fine.

Haha! He is far from fine. Alive, healthy? perhaps/probably but fine is a long-shot. I don't think any possibility of federal prison time is a fine way to be for anyone.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1001
Bitcoin - Resistance is futile
Oh, I'm still alive and kicking.  Grin

Yeah, still have them, though like was said, it would not be possible to sell them all at once and become an instant millionaire.  No one is going to buy that many at once. I have kept my client running 24/7 since then though, managed to generate a bit more before the collective mining groups took over  Wink

Without the massive server farm I had going before, I'm just down to my personal desktop, so it's never gotten over the 371k since.

I do keep many, many backups though just in case  Cool

from someone who has alot of btc to lose from a hacker; do u keep a separate client and wallet online with minimal to no btc in it?  if so, how do i split off a separate wallet as well?

Yes, the wallet file sits a (2) CD-R and (1) flash drive (was just curious how long that flash drive would stay good) in a safe deposit box at the local bank.  The wallet file on my PC is not the same one that has all the BTC in it for security reasons.  Wink

While it is fun to fantasize about being rich, I know realistically, the BTC would work better as a monthly paycheck than a lotto ticket.

I hope some day I will have your concerns about security problems, that means mys 6 bitcoins worth a lot  Cry

By the way, I don't know knightmb but I'm happy he is fine.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!
Meaning of press' terribly-worded attempt to mask outright quotation of USDOJ release found... Here's what the DoJ posted:

"...

The indictment alleges that Brown devised a scheme to defraud Romney, the accounting firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP and others by falsely claiming that he had gained access to the PricewaterhouseCoopers internal computer network and had stolen tax documents for Romney and his wife, Ann D. Romney, for tax years prior to 2010.

According to the indictment, Brown allegedly caused a letter to be delivered in August 2012 to the offices of PricewaterhouseCoopers in Franklin.  The letter demanded that $1 million worth of the digital currency Bitcoin be deposited to a specific Bitcoin account to prevent the release of the purportedly stolen Romney tax returns.  The letter also invited interested parties who wanted the allegedly stolen Romney tax documents to be released to contribute $1 million to another Bitcoin account.

The indictment alleges that Brown delivered similar letters to the offices of the Democratic and Republican parties in Franklin and caused similar statements to be posted to Pastebin.com.

..."

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2013/June/13-crm-721.html

So... they're alleging Brown trolled people. Anyone up for a game of wire fraud?

We all send PWC an envelope stuffed with a thumb drive containing a document demanding $1b in BTC or we'll release Mitt Romney's tax releases for years AFTER 2010. Include pictures of neighborhood cats on the thumb drive.

830 Crescent Centre Drive
Suite 260
Franklin, Tennessee 37067
United States of America

Telephone: [1] (615) 503-2860
Telecopier: [1] (615) 503-2870

Lead prosecutor is Anthony "Tony" Teelucksingh - can likely be contacted personally at [email protected] and officially at
*address and phone # snipped for being his actual home info, assumed too intrusive*
Fax: 202-514-6113
Email: [email protected]

Interestingly, Tony is likely knowledgeable in pgp and general cryptography. Looking for a pubkey... pubkey was posted @ http://www.charm.net/~tony/pgpkey.htm but is no longer available and I can't find an archive.

Tony previously worked for an DSL ISP, which gives him quite a bit in common with Michael. If they ever have a conversation, it may actually be fairly light-hearted, heh. Tony has also designed websites.

Another email contact: [email protected] (very likely dead)
[email protected] Huh (should be able to finger? Checking...)

... So now I'm intrigued. The guy appears very intelligent and level-headed. Not particularly cynical, but not a blinding ray of sunshine.

You're looking to get served  Cheesy
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
Meaning of press' terribly-worded attempt to mask outright quotation of USDOJ release found... Here's what the DoJ posted:

"...

The indictment alleges that Brown devised a scheme to defraud Romney, the accounting firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP and others by falsely claiming that he had gained access to the PricewaterhouseCoopers internal computer network and had stolen tax documents for Romney and his wife, Ann D. Romney, for tax years prior to 2010.

According to the indictment, Brown allegedly caused a letter to be delivered in August 2012 to the offices of PricewaterhouseCoopers in Franklin.  The letter demanded that $1 million worth of the digital currency Bitcoin be deposited to a specific Bitcoin account to prevent the release of the purportedly stolen Romney tax returns.  The letter also invited interested parties who wanted the allegedly stolen Romney tax documents to be released to contribute $1 million to another Bitcoin account.

The indictment alleges that Brown delivered similar letters to the offices of the Democratic and Republican parties in Franklin and caused similar statements to be posted to Pastebin.com.

..."

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2013/June/13-crm-721.html

So... they're alleging Brown trolled people. Anyone up for a game of wire fraud?

We all send PWC an envelope stuffed with a thumb drive containing a document demanding $1b in BTC or we'll release Mitt Romney's tax releases for years AFTER 2010. Include pictures of neighborhood cats on the thumb drive.

830 Crescent Centre Drive
Suite 260
Franklin, Tennessee 37067
United States of America

Telephone: [1] (615) 503-2860
Telecopier: [1] (615) 503-2870

Lead prosecutor is Anthony "Tony" Teelucksingh - can likely be contacted personally at [email protected] (unconfirmed if still live) and officially at
*address and phone # snipped for being his actual home info, assumed too intrusive*
Fax: 202-514-6113
Email: [email protected]

Interestingly, Tony is likely knowledgeable in pgp and general cryptography. Fairly early Internet user. Looking for a pubkey... pubkey was posted @ http://www.charm.net/~tony/pgpkey.htm but is no longer available and I can't find an archive.

Tony previously worked for a DSL ISP, which gives him quite a bit in common with Michael. If they ever have a conversation, it may actually be fairly light-hearted, heh. Tony has also designed websites. Appears to be interested in both Christianity and Islam (sufism, particularly), possibly Muslim. I'd guess Teelucksingh is Indian?

Another email contact: [email protected] (very likely dead)
[email protected] (very likely dead)

... So now I'm intrigued. The guy appears very intelligent and level-headed. Not particularly cynical, but not a blinding ray of sunshine. Would be interesting to hear if he actually thinks MB was serious (assuming he did what was alleged), or if it's supposed to be some move against "ransom trolls," or maybe he was just being pressured to do anything.
Activity: 136
Merit: 100
There is update on http://www.mbdonationfund.com/
Update June 26, 2013

The Tennessee Grand Jury has voted to Indict. The indictment paperwork is in public domain, so finding it should be easy. Obviously I won't post any details or comments about this for now.
Activity: 630
I love reading the math done back in 2011:  371,000 @ 2.70  is over 1 million now!!

If that same hoard was available today at around 100, that's 37 million or more, easy.   Crazy how the value skyrocketed like that.

Yeah and 371,000 * $266 = $98,686,000.
Activity: 58
Merit: 0
I love reading the math done back in 2011:  371,000 @ 2.70  is over 1 million now!!

If that same hoard was available today at around 100, that's 37 million or more, easy.   Crazy how the value skyrocketed like that.  The price seems to have a floor of about $100 I've noticed. 

I think the hashrates have started to increase a little over demand, but not by much.  I think they will have to plateau out at some point, and when that happens, the $100 is gonna jump to $1000 in record time. 

N12
donator
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010
I wonder if they will sell them.
I wonder if he didn't do it and the government is trying to scare the Bitcoin believers by discrediting them. Pick a high value, high profile target and lock them up.
Activity: 532
That sure is the motherload. Imagine if he lost the priv key....
donator
On a smaller scale, this is like if Bill Gates went up to a known panhandler and threatened to expose his tricks if he doesn't pay him $200. Even if it did happen, no person believing in the fundamental spirit of law over the letter would ever prosecute him. I'm guessing those who chose to prosecute are either believing themselves "incorruptible" or were paid off. - Or to lazy to think about it - the herp-a-derp doin' mah job dipshits.

The USG may's well go after BitPay for trying to facilitate the "extortion," and maybe throw in some money laundering and terrorism charges, too.
donator
@Tinus, that's the case here, too. If you do recover what was stolen, it's often damaged, and if you don't claim it in time, it's forever forfeit.

Not only do they seize and search, they FORMAT as an extra f-u.

Like having your wallet turned in, it never has the cash in it. Cost of doing business?

Whoah. Did not know that. That's really crappy. :-/
If it makes you feel better, the SS left a mess of drives at Brown's house, some in really obvious places, like on the floor right in front of him.

AFAIK, the SS never took any coins while thumbing through Brown's thumbs. (but then, as far as I knew, the case was dropped a few hours before being formally charged. :p )

If MB did do this, there's really no reason to keep him locked up. He's a very clever guy who was trolling either for the attention of authorities, media - and either for himself, Bitcoin, or Romney's reaction.... So... I'm not sure if this would've been unexpected in that case. Maybe he just likes being a pain in the USG's ass.  Grin

I don't think "for the lulz" is a valid defense in the US jusstiss system, yet. Either way, unless Brown confesses, I can't see the USG being able to successfully prosecute Brown, because the evidence we know they have is a joke, while there isn't really much outside evidence which could link him to it except maybe whatever came out of PWC (but surely, they must have had that evidence way before raiding his house if it existed). It's not like you have eyewitnesses, and Brown's tech-savvy enough to know all the obfuscation techniques. The USG would have to have a REAL smoking gun to prove this "without reasonable doubt." They waited a very long time before charging him, so again - unless he confessed, I don't think they have shit on him.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
371k BTC were lost in the US Secret Service raid.
Wallet pc was searched and formatted, never backedup.

[citation needed]

Like having your wallet turned in, it never has the cash in it. Cost of doing business?
http://news.yahoo.com/man-charged-scheme-involving-romney-131322316.html
"The U.S. Justice Department said a federal grand jury in Nashville indicted Michael Mancil Brown, 34, of Franklin, and charged him with six counts of wire fraud and six counts of extortion."
Seeya

Doesn't say anything about the evidence ... sealed documents, secret courts I suppose?
Activity: 132
http://INVESTNCRYPTO.COM

[citation needed]

http://news.yahoo.com/man-charged-scheme-involving-romney-131322316.html
"The U.S. Justice Department said a federal grand jury in Nashville indicted Michael Mancil Brown, 34, of Franklin, and charged him with six counts of wire fraud and six counts of extortion."
Seeya
Activity: 154

Keep your backups safe, i guess  Smiley
Activity: 714

Activity: 154

[citation needed]

[citation needed]

He was the agent that 'lost' them...
Pages:
Jump to: