Pages:
Author

Topic: Anyone use raspberry pi with armory? NT - page 2. (Read 3811 times)

Activity: 991
Merit: 1011
March 25, 2013, 12:00:04 PM
i bought a raspberry rev b to excusively use with armory. i ran into the exact same problem using raspian described here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/building-armory-on-raspberry-pi-156003

is there any confirmed method to get armory running on a raspberry? i am willing install any OS as long as armory works.

Activity: 218
Merit: 100
March 01, 2013, 11:11:53 AM
For me, two questions remain:

How to connect the offline and the online Armory?
Ethernet? Serial? And then some scripting is needed to let them talk to each other..

I think the current recommended method is via USB thumb drive. I just format my thumb drive between uses to ensure that it is clean.
This may be helpful if you need a better solution.

Many times you can disable all that stuff in the BIOS and don't need a special kernel.  If the devices are disabled at the hardware level, it doesn't really matter if the modules are there or not Smiley

I think he's running this off a USB drive and wants to be able to boot untrusted computers (which may have network connectivity).

yes, that is my intent  Wink

USB Stick has a small FAT partition for exchanging the transactions and exporting the watching only wallets,
 a boot partition and LVM on a Luks encrypted partition for the OS

I want to be able to boot it on any computer or even a VM and be sure to cut any links to the evil world  Grin

I was just investigating USB auto-run vulnerabilities, and was surprised by the number of attack vectors that Ubuntu has (mainly due to tendency to "auto" do stuff for the convenience of the user, despite exposing attack surface).  I bet the USB viruses could be completely a non-issue if you compiled away all the auto-everything that is normally part of the kernel and/or desktop manager.  The only thing I want the USB key to do when I plug it in is mount automatically and don't do anything else (also disabling file browser icons, which were a source of previous vulnerabilities -- injecting code that exploits an evince bug into the icon of a file, which will automatically get loaded when the file browser pops and up loads the icons to display the files).  

I never considered that the answer to remaining attack surface of the USB method could just be a custom-compiled distro...

Of course, I have no experience with that, but I'm sure someone else does Smiley
Activity: 300
Merit: 250
March 01, 2013, 04:04:08 AM
Sounds like you're definitely headed in the right direction. THIS is the chronicle of my endeavor to create an offline wallet with Armory.
It's a tutorial that I'm working on for friends and family that are not so techie.
If you decide to read it, feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ill look into that, thanks!
legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
February 28, 2013, 05:09:50 PM
For me, two questions remain:

How to connect the offline and the online Armory?
Ethernet? Serial? And then some scripting is needed to let them talk to each other..

What would be the minimal display and "accept/refuse" keys? Something via USB?
I still have that old NAS laying around, Debian, no monitor port..
Dang, no serial either, I guess!

There are some hardware wallet projects running, but I would love a Debian based software-only solution!

Ente
February 26, 2013, 04:10:09 PM
Ok just read the whole stuff and that sounds great.
i have an old laptop lying around, ill install that with linux and truecrypt and run the offline armory wallet from there.

so for as far as i understand it, the online wallet only contains the public keys?
and if my online version ever gets whacked i just make a new copy of the offline wallet and im good to go?

sounds good!

Sounds like you're definitely headed in the right direction. THIS is the chronicle of my endeavor to create an offline wallet with Armory.
It's a tutorial that I'm working on for friends and family that are not so techie.

If you decide to read it, feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Activity: 154
February 26, 2013, 03:51:54 PM
i was wondering: doesn't armory need a version of bitcoin-qt running with an uploaded blockchain in the background ?
And if i need to connect my pc to the internet to update the blockchain doesn't that pose a security threat since i want to keep my offline pc offline ?

Greetz.

You would be running 2 separate machines. One online and one offline.
Only your online computer needs the blockchain. All the offline computer does is generate the addresses and create a "Watching only" copy for your online computer. The offline computer won't even tell you your wallet balance. Because it never has and never will touch the internet (or the blockchain).

See the QSG link above. It explains the differences between the 2 in detail.
The offline wallet is actually not to be a wallet at all, it only need to generate address/keys and output them through offline method. (Print to paper, shown on screen, a QR Code Generator, etc)
February 26, 2013, 03:25:33 PM
Ok just read the whole stuff and that sounds great.
i have an old laptop lying around, ill install that with linux and truecrypt and run the offline armory wallet from there.

so for as far as i understand it, the online wallet only contains the public keys?
and if my online version ever gets whacked i just make a new copy of the offline wallet and im good to go?

sounds good!
February 26, 2013, 02:24:32 PM
i was wondering: doesn't armory need a version of bitcoin-qt running with an uploaded blockchain in the background ?
And if i need to connect my pc to the internet to update the blockchain doesn't that pose a security threat since i want to keep my offline pc offline ?

Greetz.

You would be running 2 separate machines. One online and one offline.
Only your online computer needs the blockchain. All the offline computer does is generate the addresses and create a "Watching only" copy for your online computer. The offline computer won't even tell you your wallet balance. Because it never has and never will touch the internet (or the blockchain).

See the QSG link above. It explains the differences between the 2 in detail.
February 26, 2013, 11:30:55 AM

Greetz.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
February 26, 2013, 10:44:11 AM
I'd really like to know if the (now released) Model A version of the Pi can do the job with the 256 Mb RAM it's supplied with. It's kind of appealing as a Cold Storage solution as it also comes with no ethernet port.
February 26, 2013, 10:14:32 AM
I came across the post below the other day.
The system requirements are not very demanding.

See the QSG HERE for requirements.

Don't forget about printer drivers if you plan to print a paper backup instead of writing it down.

Question about offline transactions... what are the system requirements for a computer that would ONLY hold private keys and sign transactions?

Nothing special. I run it on a Raspberry Pi.

And is there any special setup procedures for such an offline computer?  Do I still have to install the Bitcoin-QT client?

Nope, no blockchain or network connection is necessary.
Activity: 294
February 26, 2013, 12:24:41 AM
NT
Pages:
Jump to: