Pages:
Author

Topic: Apple Sucks! Arrg, why don't programs work on my old mac? - page 2. (Read 1661 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
Android devices have similar problems. Life isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

Oh, but it is. Android phones are so much more open than iPhones. It's not too difficult to develop for Android, whereas you have to jump through a few of Apple's hoops to get anything on iPhone. Of course, if you're not developing anything and you want an easy to use phone that works out of the box, then you might prefer an iPhone. It's just not for me Smiley

I learned 6502 Assembly language 30 years ago. I learned C 26 years ago. I know a lot of languages. So, I guess I qualify as someone who might be sympathetic to developers. And yet I can't claim to be sympathetic to your argument.

Most everyone is only an end user of a smartphone.

Okay, what about when I want to install something that isn't approved by Apple? I haven't jailbroken anything before, but I imagine you'd have to go down that route, no?

With Android, you can install anything you want just by enabling it in the options.

Sure. On my Android I can install any old crap I might be able to find. Unfortunately, I can't even find it. I drool over some of the stuff available for iPhones, specifically quality niche professional apps.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Android devices have similar problems. Life isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

Oh, but it is. Android phones are so much more open than iPhones. It's not too difficult to develop for Android, whereas you have to jump through a few of Apple's hoops to get anything on iPhone. Of course, if you're not developing anything and you want an easy to use phone that works out of the box, then you might prefer an iPhone. It's just not for me Smiley

I learned 6502 Assembly language 30 years ago. I learned C 26 years ago. I know a lot of languages. So, I guess I qualify as someone who might be sympathetic to developers. And yet I can't claim to be sympathetic to your argument.

Okay, what about when I want to install something that isn't approved by Apple? I haven't jailbroken anything before, but I imagine you'd have to go down that route, no?

With Android, you can install anything you want just by enabling it in the options.

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
The worse was when Apple maps was started, I lost my way using their maps!
Apple does suck. I've had my iPod touch for a while now, got it as a present for the christmas before last. Anyway, I'd been running an old version of iTunes for ages without any issues. Then I made the mistake of upgrading to the newest version. The first problem I had was the horrible user interface, then it decided that I no longer wanted my current music library, so everything disappeared, including some awesome playlists. Thinking it might've been an isolated issue, I imported all my music etc. and made some new playlists. Then I had issues syncing my iPod. Then my whole library disappeared, again. So now I'm sick of playing around with it, I'm over Apple.
global moderator
Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610
In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce
Never went to Apple, never will. Unless a sudden death of my gaming career.  Cheesy
Activity: 168
Yup,

I was die hard MacAholic from the 512k fat mac on forward.
Use to be Macs had much longer usability than the PC counterparts. Not anymore.

Now the only way to get that kind of life out of a hardware purchase is to run Linux.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye
Why don't you just update to Mountain Lion it is like $20? For desktop linux I would use ubuntu.

I looked into that, and from what I read it looks like only MacBooks about a year newer than mine are capable of the upgrade.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye
So I keep running into this problem: I go to add a program to my computer or update an existing program and I find out it is no longer supported on my computer. Everything for OSX requires 10.6 or later, so I am basically screwed. Some things I can get an older version of the software, but that doesn't work for everything.

My mac was great when I first got it, nice and slick and easy to use and stuff, but now I am just getting angry at Apple. They want me to shell out another bunch of money to buy a new computer. Well, I say screw Apple, I am not gonna shell out money like that again just to have it decreed obsolete by some fat-cats in suits who want my money after just a few short years.

I am pretty sure my next computer will be running Linux of some sort. There is no way I am going back to Windows (that's what I had before my current computer).

So I guess to make this thread more useful for everybody rather than just me ranting against obnoxious corporations, what version of linux would you suggest? I am looking for something dependable and easy to use.
Pages:
Jump to: