Pages:
Author

Topic: Are any ASIC miners making ROI anymore? - page 2. (Read 4505 times)

Activity: 248
Merit: 250
I'd love to read a story about someone breaking into one of these ASIC manufacturers and stealing a ton of ASICs.  I'd consider it fair payback for all they have stolen by mining with the ASICs for months before filling the pre-orders.

That's a good idea! We need just another 14 Ocean's friends  Grin and... Salma Hayek, e.g., to distract the guards  Cool
Why 14? But who then will carry out all the miners from the data center lol
Activity: 266
I'd love to read a story about someone breaking into one of these ASIC manufacturers and stealing a ton of ASICs.  I'd consider it fair payback for all they have stolen by mining with the ASICs for months before filling the pre-orders.

You don't treat crime with crime.

What you mean to say is you would like to hear a story:
Of how the management one of these companies went to jail for mail fraud/deceptive advertising
Of how one of the CEOs of the company got pancreatic cancer
Of how one of the CEOs was electrocuted to death by their private farm

Something along those lines would be nice.

Prefer the last one  Grin

ASIC? any old miners wont be profitable anymore, yeah... with this kind of diff.
i suppose, u guys just place it in ur garage, or use it as a heater
its not worth it  Cheesy
Activity: 955
Merit: 1004
Mmmmmm.... no, I like my way better.  Your way would make me smile, but my way would put cash in my pocket.

Or, instead of taking the ASICs, find their wallets and transfer all the BTC to my wallet! Grin
Activity: 519
Merit: 500
I'd love to read a story about someone breaking into one of these ASIC manufacturers and stealing a ton of ASICs.  I'd consider it fair payback for all they have stolen by mining with the ASICs for months before filling the pre-orders.

You don't treat crime with crime.

What you mean to say is you would like to hear a story:
Of how the management one of these companies went to jail for mail fraud/deceptive advertising
Of how one of the CEOs of the company got pancreatic cancer
Of how one of the CEOs was electrocuted to death by their private farm

Something along those lines would be nice.
Activity: 955

While we would all love that I doubt any company would ship a miner that would return that quickly.  If it had that much potential then it would just "sit" on their shelves a few more days, you know, a little more burn in testing would be needed  Grin

I don't doubt that either heh Smiley

Last year, asics were ahead of the difficulty curve. My kncminer in December ROI'd in 23 days. These days you would be hard pressed to get your ROI in less than 45 days.

Maybe we will see some better equipment towards year end. These Chinese manufacturers are going to drive intense competition in 2015 for bitcoin and scrypt mining.

You earned as many BTC as it would have cost you when you bought the KNC in just 23 days?  I find that impossible.

You mean you ROIed in fiat?  That's possible, but only if BTC went up and you actually liquidated the coin.
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 4193

While we would all love that I doubt any company would ship a miner that would return that quickly.  If it had that much potential then it would just "sit" on their shelves a few more days, you know, a little more burn in testing would be needed  Grin

Last year, asics were ahead of the difficulty curve. My kncminer in December ROI'd in 23 days. These days you would be hard pressed to get your ROI in less than 45 days.

Maybe we will see some better equipment towards year end. These Chinese manufacturers are going to drive intense competition in 2015 for bitcoin and scrypt mining.
I wouldn't expect much of this anymore. You would need a really low electrical cost. As more people are into the mining game, difficulty would increase at a faster rate.
Activity: 248
My two cents in your conversation, guys. I've bought a single 5-chip gridseed in 04.2014 for 200 bucks. All I earned is 0.1 BTC. My thoughts are: if you wishh to get your ROI you should invest 5-10k $. But as for the small miners, you will never ROI.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057
SpacePirate.io

I recently liquidated a large portion of my asic farm, partly to invest in some more efficient gear later on. The mining gear that is out right now doesn't provide a good ROI.  I figure the sweet spot would be around $100 a day, 30-45 day ROI, so you would be looking at 6 to 9Th/s for around $5k.   No one is making equipment in that class for that price, it's about double that price at this point.

I was recently at a bitcoin conference and was talking to a guy who had built a mining farm in washington state where power is cheap. He invested about $400k in mining equipment late last year, his total farm is 11Th/s.  He realized around March this year, that he's never going to profit because he didn't really understand difficulty and for Q1 bitcoin was in the $300-$400 range.

I would expect to see more of the semi-pro miners turn off gear before the 4th quarter and look to either A) just buy bitcoin or B) launch a service or product that is bitcoin related.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057
SpacePirate.io
I recently liquidated a large portion of my asic farm, partly to invest in some more efficient gear later on. The mining gear that is out right now doesn't provide a good ROI.  I figure the sweet spot would be around $100 a day, 30-45 day ROI, so you would be looking at 6 to 9Th/s for around $5k.   No one is making equipment in that class for that price, it's about double that price at this point.

I was recently at a bitcoin conference and was talking to a guy who had built a mining farm in washington state where power is cheap. He invested about $400k in mining equipment late last year, his total farm is 11Th/s.  He realized around March this year, that he's never going to profit because he didn't really understand difficulty and for Q1 bitcoin was in the $300-$400 range.

I would expect to see more of the semi-pro miners turn off gear before the 4th quarter and look to either A) just buy bitcoin or B) launch a service or product that is bitcoin related.

If your power is free you have a better chance of getting +ROI but some miners like the SP30 will be negative even with free power - their pricing is just too high to begin with.
Activity: 873
Merit: 1007
If your power is free you ROI  Wink

Wrong, your ASIC don't mine forever, it will break one day...
It may or may not last forever, however, we are all certain that difficulty will increase very fast so that it cannot be profitable any longer for that ASIC.

The difficulty doesn't need to increase at a high rate for a miner to be unprofitable.  The miner just needs to cost too much up front relative to how much it will earn.  If all the manufacturers cut their pricing in 1/2 then pretty much every miner (except BFL Mondarch) would ROI.  The problem is that as miner gets close to being a good buy tons of people jump on it and drive said difficulty higher.  Vicious circle.
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 4193

It may or may not last forever, however, we are all certain that difficulty will increase very fast so that it cannot be profitable any longer for that ASIC.
Activity: 420

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007
Bought 2 BFL 60GH/s ASICs on June 23 2011.  Paid 450 BTC.  They've not even generated half that, and I turned them off a month ago because they stopped making enough to cover electric costs.  1/10 would not buy again.

really?  Cheesy

I think he must have been in line for the preorder for the preorder, right? Roll Eyes

Can't really blame him he unlike so many others would be one of the first people to order from BFL
Before the douchbaggery when they still seemed a bit legitimate as a company lol.

I remember staying awake the whole night before they went on sale constantly refreshing, finally collapsed mid-day and took a 1 hour nap and awoke in a panic - I was able to get a pre-order in, I was about the 50th order and I paid with 210 BTC because the first day they said BTC payments took president over wires and checks. I thought if I could get my miner in a couple of months and be home to mine the second it comes I would be rich (even with $7 BTC).  13 months later the bastards delivered the useless miner. I lost sleep and 210 BTC to get back 15BTC and a bunch of lies.

I even stayed awake all night for Avalon Batch 2 but failed to get one because of the stupid errors.  FML
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
Bought 2 BFL 60GH/s ASICs on June 23 2011.  Paid 450 BTC.  They've not even generated half that, and I turned them off a month ago because they stopped making enough to cover electric costs.  1/10 would not buy again.

really?  Cheesy

I think he must have been in line for the preorder for the preorder, right? Roll Eyes

Can't really blame him he unlike so many others would be one of the first people to order from BFL
Before the douchbaggery when they still seemed a bit legitimate as a company lol.
Activity: 784
Glow Stick Dance!

really?  Cheesy

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

really?  Cheesy
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Kia ora!
ASIC miners inbuilt into cars, now that would be interesting. Basically a 1kW alternator that stores power into a separate ( deep cycle ) battery when a car is either braking or coasting downhill thus not incurring any extra fuel bill. 1kW inverter then turns the miner on until the battery level drops to a minimum level. All it would need is a cellphone data connection and there you go......a rapidly depreciating capital purchase item ( miner ) inside an even more rapidly depreciating capital purchase ( car ).
Pages:
Jump to: