Pages:
Author

Topic: Are BFL Jalapeños worth it? - page 3. (Read 9423 times)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
May 23, 2013, 04:12:21 PM
The first orders didn't pay $275
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
May 23, 2013, 11:57:59 AM
I was thinking of placing an order for one but I just started to notice how grandiose of a problem this BFL scam is.

To be fair, it is not apropos to call Butterfly Labs a scam. Shady, evidently in over their heads, and completely disrespectful to their customers; definitely.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
R.I.P Silk Road 1.0
May 23, 2013, 11:38:26 AM
You may be right. I was thinking of placing an order for one but I just started to notice how grandiose of a problem this BFL scam is. I would see a lot of complaints about them before but never really looked into it in detail. Now knowing that some purchasers have been waiting for their products since last year really is eye opening. Thanks for all your responses guys. As cool as those things look I probably won't be purchasing one until I see a change in the community's attitude toward BFL.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1018
Buzz App - Spin wheel, farm rewards
May 23, 2013, 11:30:27 AM
If they exist, were able to be delivered in less than ...3 months at the latest, and the company was trustworthy, then yes, Jalap's would be worth it.

But I don't think any of this ^^^ is the case.
Activity: 194
Merit: 100
May 23, 2013, 11:28:43 AM
Also, because BFL will give out refunds, it's not definable as a scam. There really is no point in suing because they're willing to refund you what you're due. Seeing the way they're performing a refund might be a good idea.
Everyone's* too scared to get a refund because they could ship any day now!
was the same feeling 4 month ago  Grin
aa
Activity: 544
Litecoin is right coin
May 23, 2013, 02:54:04 AM
Also, because BFL will give out refunds, it's not definable as a scam. There really is no point in suing because they're willing to refund you what you're due. Seeing the way they're performing a refund might be a good idea.
Everyone's* too scared to get a refund because they could ship any day now!
Activity: 174
May 22, 2013, 10:09:25 PM
Activity: 728
May 22, 2013, 05:02:29 PM
If BFL has been such a disappointment why then hasn't anyone already sued them? In the U.S, I mean.

I think because they can just say "we still working on the products". If their delivery dates aren't stated in the contract, technically they have not broken the contract. As unethical as it is, according to the law I don't think they have done anything wrong.

This is what I think is happening:
- BFL had an idea to "sell" mining equipment and needed capital.
- Offered pre-orders and made people pay upfront to generate capital.
- They used the capital to buy the chips, manufacture the equipment

Now they are merrily mining as hard and fast as they can with everyone's paid for equipment and getting as much BTC as they can.
When the mining difficulty gets ridiculously high and it's no longer profitable to mine, they will start shipping these "tested" units to everyone who paid for them.
So all you people waiting with pre-orders will eventually get your kit from BFL, but only when it's too late to break even or get a ROI.

I don't think it makes sense for them to mine with equipment if they had it.  Certainly not fiscal sense, and they are clearly in the business of making money.

Lots of people are forking over 2BTC a pop right now for USB miners from ASICMINER that do 300 MH/s.  $244 for 300 MH/s.

BFL's lowest offering supposedly ~5000 MH/s for $275.

If BFL had units that they were confident in shipping to customers it would be absolutely in their best interest to ship those units, because the market has already shown that buyers are willing to pay far more for a functional miner that they can get in a reasonable amount of time.

That money going to ASICMINER usb sales is just one example of market share that BFL lost because they aren't shipping already.  The Avalon chips people are buying to put in custom made boards is another.
Activity: 159
May 22, 2013, 04:32:04 PM
With increasing difficulty would purchasing a BFL Jalapeño even be worth it?

I'm with everyone else here.. by the time you get the thing, it'll probably be worthless.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005
May 22, 2013, 04:20:38 PM
no
R.I.P Silk Road 1.0
May 22, 2013, 03:33:08 PM
If BFL has been such a disappointment why then hasn't anyone already sued them? In the U.S, I mean.

I think because they can just say "we still working on the products". If their delivery dates aren't stated in the contract, technically they have not broken the contract. As unethical as it is, according to the law I don't think they have done anything wrong.

Now they are merrily mining as hard and fast as they can with everyone's paid for equipment and getting as much BTC as they can.
When the mining difficulty gets ridiculously high and it's no longer profitable to mine, they will start shipping these "tested" units to everyone who paid for them.
So all you people waiting with pre-orders will eventually get your kit from BFL, but only when it's too late to break even or get a ROI.

This makes sense.
Activity: 87
May 22, 2013, 03:14:15 PM

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0
May 22, 2013, 02:23:39 PM
Activity: 69
May 22, 2013, 01:25:10 PM
...But with their trackrecord of delays after delays you'r lucky to get it this year and thats way too late.
There was a song by Johnny Mathis in the 50's that describes BFL's delivery schedule...

"Twelfth of Never"
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
May 22, 2013, 11:49:50 AM
If you would get them right now, then yes. But with their trackrecord of delays after delays you'r lucky to get it this year and thats way too late.
legendary
Activity: 1015
Merit: 1000
May 22, 2013, 11:38:39 AM
not worth it .
Activity: 154
May 22, 2013, 10:54:47 AM
And the day I take any advice from someone with the user name "ripple" is still not even close.

Do you also happen to have some intelligent contribution to the topic at hand, some alternative analysis to refute his post?
Activity: 224
May 22, 2013, 10:43:12 AM
Visit this website to view the pre-order queue for Butterfly Labs.

http://bfl.ptz.ro/

Consider there may be 60,000 items ordered before yours.

Butterfly labs previously announced the intention to ship 400 units per day, although at present they have sent out less than 100 units in total.

Then consider that with increasing difficulty levels, which are increased each two weeks, that by the time you receive you unit, it may not be profitable and you may not recover the cost of the unit.

Unlike graphics cards, ASICs can not be used for anything else, and so will have little resale value.

With the present sales of ASIC chips in bulk from a competitor, Avalon, in lots of ten thousand to distributors, new miner units could reach retail customers by late July.   If so this extra estimated 84 TH/s, at around $2.8 million in chip value, could have an enormous impact on mining output and difficulty levels thereafter.

If the price of Bitcoins were to average $120, and difficulty was to increase each 2 week period by 18%, then provided you receive before 29th Oct 13 you can break even with a Jalepino.  You will double your money or better if you receive on or before 3rd Sept 13 and lose money if you receive after 5th Nov 13.

People receiving today (22nd May 2013) would be expected to earn about $2,100 profit on a Jalepino.

The above figures assume you pay $274 plus $38 shipping to US, $0.15 per kWh for electricity, pay 3% of proceeds to a mining pool, and run the machine 24/7 until the end of 2014 with no downtime.

You have been warned!

And the day I take any advice from someone with the user name "ripple" is still not even close.
Activity: 287
May 22, 2013, 07:57:34 AM
Visit this website to view the pre-order queue for Butterfly Labs.

http://bfl.ptz.ro/

Consider there may be 60,000 items ordered before yours.

Butterfly labs previously announced the intention to ship 400 units per day, although at present they have sent out less than 100 units in total.

Then consider that with increasing difficulty levels, which are increased each two weeks, that by the time you receive you unit, it may not be profitable and you may not recover the cost of the unit.

Unlike graphics cards, ASICs can not be used for anything else, and so will have little resale value.

With the present sales of ASIC chips in bulk from a competitor, Avalon, in lots of ten thousand to distributors, new miner units could reach retail customers by late July.   If so this extra estimated 84 TH/s, at around $2.8 million in chip value, could have an enormous impact on mining output and difficulty levels thereafter.

If the price of Bitcoins were to average $120, and difficulty was to increase each 2 week period by 18%, then provided you receive before 29th Oct 13 you can break even with a Jalepino.  You will double your money or better if you receive on or before 3rd Sept 13 and lose money if you receive after 5th Nov 13.

People receiving today (22nd May 2013) would be expected to earn about $2,100 profit on a Jalepino.

The above figures assume you pay $274 plus $38 shipping to US, $0.15 per kWh for electricity, pay 3% of proceeds to a mining pool, and run the machine 24/7 until the end of 2014 with no downtime.

You have been warned!
Activity: 1162
May 22, 2013, 07:39:08 AM
In 20 years from now, yeah. It will have been worth everything.

Given BFLs track record of failure, what do you think is the probability that those things run 24/7 for, lets say, a year, or even 6 month?

If you are outside the USA and have to RMA them (time to ship to BFL, time to repair, time to ship back, customs again, ...) you will be truly fucked.
Pages:
Jump to: