Pages:
Author

Topic: Are scam ICOs going to draw the attention of governments? - page 3. (Read 1959 times)

Activity: 230
Merit: 100
I hope so. That is why the government wants to regulate this cryptocurrency. In my opinion its better to have a body that will monitor this ICO's. They will check the infrastructure, actual project profitability etc. We are not spending here play money, but a bitcoin that has real value to fiat.
Activity: 224
I think scam ICOs won't draw the attention of governments because there is no incentive for them. Perhaps if they find a way to regulate and get a profit from ICOs then maybe they will pay attention to scams.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
I don't think so, That they are going to take an interest in it.
They don't care about it and why people are so dumb to know that the ICO is scam or not why they don't do any research on that before investing their money in the ICO?
How do you even know an ICO is a scam. There are some ICO's with a good team behind them with good promise and strong community support yet somehow that might be a scam. It feels almost impossible to tell what is legit and not.

Agreed. It's difficult to know what is real and what is not, even after doing extensive research.

What you see in traditional stock markets is that there is a governing body that will hold companies and individuals accountable should they attempt to defraud or mislead people. However, in the crypto market no such governance structure exists yet. I do think that such an organisation will eventually emerge, and it doesn't necessarily need to be enforced by governments or regulations. There are many other ways to motivate people besides forcing them by use laws.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
They don't care about it and why people are so dumb to know that the ICO is scam or not why they don't do any research on that before investing their money in the ICO?
How do you even know an ICO is a scam. There are some ICO's with a good team behind them with good promise and strong community support yet somehow that might be a scam. It feels almost impossible to tell what is legit and not.
Activity: 720
Merit: 500
yvv
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000
Many governments don't give a shit about protecting their citizens from scam. All ICOs will move to these jurisdictions.
Activity: 361
If indeed with the many ICO scams, I think the government needs to protect its citizens, but with impartial regulations..
Activity: 10
I've only been active in crypto for a couple months, but I've been watching the market for a couple years. The ICO's will eventually draw the governments in for the sake of consumer protection. The problem will lie in actually being able to control them. Short of blacklisting the websites there isn't much they can do about it, let alone track if you've been involved in the ICO. Even if the sites were blacklisted somehow there's always a VPN service willing to get around it.

In the end, this is a wholly uncontrolled area, and probably will be for years to come. If you are U.S. based you're already not supposed to be active in the ICO's, so on a technicality regulators can't do much.
Activity: 42
With the massive rise of ICOs over the last few months, some of which have been straight up scams and ponzi schemes, will this expedite the entrance of governments into the world of crypto in the name of consumer protection?
Pages:
Jump to: