Pages:
Author

Topic: Are the console wars killing AAA gaming? - page 2. (Read 1210 times)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Wait Bioshock Infinite lost money?

To the OP it is a problem and PC games are not immune either.  I remember reading an article which talked about how the cost of developing the "art" for games has increased exponentially with the pixel count.  Now with consoles all being able to push 1080p (due to TV standard) the pixel count isn't going higher but the graphical capabilities are still expanding so that "art" development cost is still exploding.

To be honest, for games early in a console life cycle, the big developers are more interested in the graphics engine for the licensing revenue it can generate.  The best ones will end up being adopted by smaller studios and will end up in dozens if not hundreds of games.  That can mean revenue on a scale that makes the direct sales of the game look like chump change.  Is it any wonder the graphics element is pushed so hard.  You didn't buy a game, you bought a demo for their graphics engine. Smiley
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
This is the so called glorious market economy that most people here love working great. It doesnt matter if a game is shit if it can make you money.

Another example Diablo 3 . In order to sell to masses and children they destroyed it.

But at the same time, this system rewards games that can spend money and cash in big (COD, Battlefield, Gears, etc.) and really hurts teams that make great games that are really expensive to make, but don't end up making their money back (Bioshock Infinite, Max Payne 3, etc.).

We get more ham-fisted multiplayer cash-grabs, and developers get screwed.
Activity: 756
Merit: 506
Watching a movie at a theatre can cost between $10 to $25 per ticket for a hour-ish movie.  A video game, even if it provides six hours of entertainment, is technically good value for your money.

By the way nostalgia can be misleading. 
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org
This is the so called glorious market economy that most people here love working great. It doesnt matter if a game is shit if it can make you money.

Another example Diablo 3 . In order to sell to masses and children they destroyed it.
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
So let me give a little background:

I picked up Titanfall the other day, and it's a fun little shootey game. Before everyone goes nuts, I'm not a bro-gamer who obsesses over COD and such, I just wanted a change of pace.

I'm a PC gamer by heart, but I picked this up for my Xbox 360. I keep feeling like it wasn't worth $60.

And this seems to be the case recently: Titanfall, Ground Zeroes, etc. There seems to be a plethora of AAA games that are focused on graphical capabilities, and thus are lacking more substantive gameplay. So I submit this:

The next-generation consoles, which are now driving game companies to inefficiently and expensively produce games with higher graphical qualities (just look at how much Destiny is rumored to cost), are both causing games to be made with less content due to budget and hurting AAA game designers.

PS. I admit this has been a trend even before next-gen. RIP Irrational.
Pages:
Jump to: