Pages:
Author

Topic: Are the forkers purposely trying to kill BTC? - page 5. (Read 2370 times)

legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
The forks are just all part of the process....They're a necessary part of the evolution of the platform.  The problem isn't really the forking---> the problem is that the forked chains aren't dying fast enough, right?  If you think about it, as long you're hodling, then you're guaranteed to be hodling something on the winning chain.  They're ALL bitcoin, just different species of bitcoin, and you want to be hodling the species that is the most adaptable to this ever changing environment, right?  Maybe it's time to start thinking in non-binary terms----> it's not REALLY one or the other because they're really all just one interconnected "fuzzy chain."

EDIT: Can you tell that the weed's getting good in California?

The problem is that some forks become altcoins with quite confusing names and quite big claims on Bitcoin legacy.
But it's about money and power, so it's not unexpected for this to happen.

And we may have forks even this year, however, the last fork was imho a bigger success than many have expected.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521
Regardless of how you think about it, businesses and business interests aren't the problem. Corporations are the enemy. Corporations don't live or breathe or grow on their own. It takes people. It's people who can be the problem, who can be the enemy. Dismissing actions done in the name of business simply for the sake of forsaking "business" is foolish. It's naive.

What if those business interests are in conflict with the interests of Bitcoin users in general? What if they are in conflict with the network's level of decentralization? Here's an example:

If an entity like Bitmain could use AsicBoost to improve its mining output by ~30%, that's perfectly rational. But it would be a very centralizing force, given that it could force many mining outfits to shut down since very few will be able to compete with Bitmain's output.

Is it wrong to then oppose Bitmain's business interests? They seem to be at odds with my interests as a Bitcoin user...
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1017
The forks are just all part of the process....They're a necessary part of the evolution of the platform.  The problem isn't really the forking---> the problem is that the forked chains aren't dying fast enough, right?  If you think about it, as long you're hodling, then you're guaranteed to be hodling something on the winning chain.  They're ALL bitcoin, just different species of bitcoin, and you want to be hodling the species that is the most adaptable to this ever changing environment, right?  Maybe it's time to start thinking in non-binary terms----> it's not REALLY one or the other because they're really all just one interconnected "fuzzy chain."

EDIT: Can you tell that the weed's getting good in California?
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
I also have the feeling that a lot of people are coming with their series if forks just to create confusion here and there and the issue I have with them is to stop using the name bitcoin call it any other name you so wish and stop making it seems you are  working in the interest of bitcoin. I am sure when this other fork happens, then a lot of panic will happen with several crash prices and at the end, it won't really solve anything. I just wished Satoshi can come and lock the whole thing to avoid all this adulteration.
Activity: 448
Merit: 100
The forks are shaking the very foundation of BTC's attraction ... that is away from the whims and motive of a controlling cabal. One could have been dismissed, but now a 2nd one starts establishing a pattern.

Of course, They are trying to kill legacy of Satoshi Nakamoto. BTC will be the biggest currency in the world. There will be many parties will earn side effect from this. They tend to kill BTC if they can if not they will destroy the community at least the bitcoin community that is stable since 2009. If the community split they will easily hardfork. Now few miners support BCH, in fact BCH hardfork completely failed then in NOvember 2017 There will be hardfork again, BTC2x. I think after that there will be other forks.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
I do think that forkers have purpose to innovate to make the BTC platform/ system more efficient but the problem is the idea of including some centralization in fork soon is the one who will kill one of its main purpose.
Activity: 1106
Merit: 637
The forks are shaking the very foundation of BTC's attraction ... that is away from the whims and motive of a controlling cabal. One could have been dismissed, but now a 2nd one starts establishing a pattern.

I suspect that they are not trying to kill BTC, but rather control its development path and promote protocol ossification. Who are the most entrenched players in the game? Bitmain (largest miner and chip manufacturer). Bitpay and Coinbase -- their business model depends on cheap fees. Investors in such companies -- like Roger Ver. And they've all been pushing for hard fork block size increases all along. It's all about their business interests.

And their business interests should interest us. If their business interests are able to get greater adoption of Bitcoin we all win. You sound like someone who hates business...maybe that's true, maybe it isn't.

Regardless of how you think about it, businesses and business interests aren't the problem. Corporations are the enemy. Corporations don't live or breathe or grow on their own. It takes people. It's people who can be the problem, who can be the enemy. Dismissing actions done in the name of business simply for the sake of forsaking "business" is foolish. It's naive.
Activity: 267
Merit: 255

I suspect that they are not trying to kill BTC, but rather control its development path and promote protocol ossification. Who are the most entrenched players in the game? Bitmain (largest miner and chip manufacturer). Bitpay and Coinbase -- their business model depends on cheap fees. Investors in such companies -- like Roger Ver. And they've all been pushing for hard fork block size increases all along. It's all about their business interests.
Activity: 7
Merit: 0

Pages:
Jump to: