Pages:
Author

Topic: Are you living in radiation? How reliable are these websites? - page 2. (Read 1658 times)

legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359
As an average wall or the body of a car can stop alpha and beta radiation, only the gamma radiation is a real issue, but that part could be much lower than the measured value.
Unfortunately, it's not quite correct because isotopes can be consumed with water or food.

Unlike gamma, alpha particles are able to give all of its energy to cells. That's why alpha radiation from Am241, Pu238-242 and some other isotopes is the real threat as well as reason of evacuation from the Chernobyl and Fukushima exclusion zones. On the other hand, people are able to live in gamma contaminated areas without noticeable problems. Just for example, 25% of Belarusian territory is contaminated with Cesium-137. Due to weak interaction with matter, gamma radiation is not a real issue unless there are really high levels of activity.

////

It should be noted that most of the dosimeters can see only gamma and hard beta radiation, this makes them useless for the assessment of a real threat.

If you need an explanation then there is an example:

Americium-241 emits alpha particles and weak gamma rays;
Cesium-137 emits hard gamma and beta rays;

If you would use typical geiger counter to compare Am241 and Cs137 sources with identical activity, then you will see lower CPM values for Am241 source. This will inevitably lead you to wrong conclusion.  Roll Eyes
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
This map is probably more useful than the geiger counter map:

Additional to that you have radiation from building materials (like granite or concrete)

Thanks. Of course according to that map, California, Arizona and Nevada seem to have a lot of 8.5, but does that mean?

Even if these are just small amounts of radiation, I still think it's weird people are ok with having these nuclear plants.
Activity: 675
Merit: 514
This map is probably more useful than the geiger counter map:

Additional to that you have radiation from building materials (like granite or concrete)
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
Balthazar is right, CPM value on its own can be misleading, especially because a GM counter counts all sorts of radiation including alpha, beta and gamma rays. As an average wall or the body of a car can stop alpha and beta radiation, only the gamma radiation is a real issue, but that part could be much lower than the measured value.
The “evacuation required” level is 300 CPM (counts per minute). A single count is one radioactive decay."
How about over 10000 CPM of natural background on brazil beaches?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvgAx1yIKjg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdHHUGwFoJE

Wow, that beach.

When did we get to the point everyone was ok to having this much radiation on this planet?

Unfortunately, CPM alone says nothing. It depends on the device sensitivity, some detectors just like my NaI scintillator are saying 200-300 CPM while geiger counter would count only 7-8 decays per minute.

And even more funny, sensitivity is different for every tube even for same models with identical power supply. Just for example, one of my SBM-20 tubes has ~5% greater counting speed than the others.

Well that's disturbing.
legendary
Unfortunately, CPM alone says nothing. It depends on the device sensitivity, some detectors just like my NaI scintillator are saying 200-300 CPM while geiger counter would count only 7-8 decays per minute.

And even more funny, sensitivity is different for every tube even for same models with identical power supply. Just for example, one of my SBM-20 tubes has ~5% greater counting speed than the others.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 2008
First Exclusion Ever
I am the owner of a Geiger counter, and I can confirm the readings of around 30cpm for the Chicagoland area. In fact where I live it is about half that.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
The “evacuation required” level is 300 CPM (counts per minute). A single count is one radioactive decay."

I knew Brazilian babes were hot but had no idea they were that hot.
legendary

Nuclear Emergency Tracking Center clearly shows a lot of very high levels of radiation. Just how accurate is it? (When you click on the circles you can see the supposed levels of Counts per minute CPM)

Q: Can you better explain how these alerts start, and why they are canceled?

A: Netc.com tracks the radiation levels at over 3000 stations around the world. Some of the stations, collect gamma radiation and others collect dose rates. Each station has its own NORM (Natural Occurring Radiation Material) background level that is calculated everyday for three months. When the current radiation exceeds that level and other conditions are met, an Alert in issue: Saying the radiation at that station has increased radiation level that are higher the the 3 month range. This is very important, not because it is dangerous, but because high levels of radiation blows in the wind or rain and could be a health problem if it is breathe into your lungs. Just like a sand storm the radiation blows following the wind patterns, so then the Alert is cancelled when the radiation is within its radiation level.

There are other news stories about these things too:

Radio talk about radiation - They specifically mention Fukishima and San Francisco.

US radiation levels exceed evacuation level

""SAN FRANCISCO—High radiation levels exceeded the evacuation level requiring the wholesale evacuation of civilians at many locations in the States over the past four years, from 2011 to 2014. Those who remain are supposed to be wearing hazmat suits.

Did evacuation happen in your town or city? No, of course not. It did not happen anywhere that I know of.

This heavy radiation influx precedes the Fukushima Daiichi, Japan three reactor meltdowns. Therefore, by definition it cannot be just strictly from the Fukushima radiation releases. The killing radiation came from someplace else, plus Fukushima’s rad. This pattern is repeated again and again in cities throughout America. What happened to beautiful zapped America?

Certain scuttlebutt in the nuclear community is that America’s is the most irradiated population in the world. Getting zapped like that leads to “shortened life spans” in the quaint expression of the American Nuclear Regulatory Commission. It means the rad kills you before your time. This is from greatly increased rates of radiation induced heart disease, radiation induced cancers and hundreds of other radiation induced illnesses.

Today’s HazMat suit required and evacuation level cities include a lot of locations. Notable due to very high radiation levels are the following:

Billings, Montana, 769 CPM
Idaho Falls, Idaho, 488 CPM
Rapid City, South Dakota, 463 CPM
Grand Junction, Colorado, 465 CPM
Colorado Springs, Colorado, 536 CPM
San Diego, California, 417 CPM and
Raleigh, North Carolina, 474 CPM

This website still shows a bunch of radiation in the US, but the levels seem less... less as in you shouldn't evacuate, but still it's a lot of radiation we're living in, in the US, if this one is more accurate.

http://radiationnetwork.com/

Edit: And if these sites are not accurate, where can we see some accurate stats?
Pages:
Jump to: