Pages:
Author

Topic: Are you using a password manager - page 2. (Read 463 times)

Activity: 1274
Merit: 106
November 11, 2018, 10:15:41 PM
I do not use a password manager. Any password related program that I have used is only for protection from small children in my home or people who have access to my computer.

However, if you are going to use a password manager, I will suggest to got only for paid ones with solid reviews.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1353
November 11, 2018, 09:02:41 PM
Not a fan as well of those third party password apps. I'm still as old school as you can get, I even used excel spreadsheet before and we had a discussions about it many times already (not recommended). So I just try to write down all my unique password in my notebook, and when its time to log-in, just pull all the data and I'm off to go.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1330
Slava Ukraini!
November 11, 2018, 08:26:50 PM
No, I don't want to trust my passwords to 3rd party service. Maybe it's convenient to use, but I manage my passwords in old fashioned way. I trying to use unique password for every website and it's really difficult to remember all these different passwords fir every website. Especially I'm struggling to remember passwords on websites which I use rarely. So, often I forced to click forgot password button.
You are probably aware of this but I'll say it for other people using the auto fill option. Auto fills can be tricked and potentially be phished for information by hidden form fields. If you login to this site for example then the auto fill will just put in your username and password right? Well if the site owner has a hidden text box for a credit card your auto fill may well input your credit card information into that box giving them this information.

Its something which has been a known issue with Chrome, Safari and lastpass. I would recommend against auto fill options whenever possible or be careful where you are using autofill and what information is stored in your password manager.
I'm often using autofill for convenience. I know it's not adviced to do that. For example Firefox even warn not to use autofill on websites which don't have https. So, I'm trying not use autofill on websites like PayPal, crypto exchanges and others which are related to money.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008
Welt Am Draht
November 11, 2018, 07:47:04 PM
Nope. I don't like the idea of a third party program being in charge of all that stuff, even more so when you have to pay for it. I also don't fancy the idea of everything hanging on one password. I'll stick to 2FA and my own astonishing abilities to remember what's needed.
copper member
Activity: 479
Merit: 11
November 11, 2018, 05:10:53 PM
yes I'm using lastpass and it's very convenient you should just take good care of your master password and you are good to go,it's very convenient the only way it could go compromise is if you have a malware in your computer so be sure you use a good anti virus
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
November 11, 2018, 04:29:54 PM
You are probably aware of this but I'll say it for other people using the auto fill option. Auto fills can be tricked and potentially be phished for information by hidden form fields. If you login to this site for example then the auto fill will just put in your username and password right? Well if the site owner has a hidden text box for a credit card your auto fill may well input your credit card information into that box giving them this information.
Are you sure about this? From what I've seen, auto-fill only works on sites where I've entered that data before. That's why a phishing version of this forum (.to) asks me to enter my username, which is an instant red flag warning me I'm not on the real site.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
November 11, 2018, 09:51:14 AM
If we dont trust exchanges with our funds or wallets that we dont have the private keys for I dont see much sense to trust a third party with the passwords we use for those exchanges and sites that are important to us. Plus password managers are hack-able and pass stealers and keyloggers can be configured to search for the files that those password managers create to store the passwords in.
Not to mention leakages or if a bad actor decided to sell millions of passwords of their clients one day.  

Activity: 122
Merit: 20
Jet Cash's better half
November 11, 2018, 06:27:34 AM
If you login to this site for example then the auto fill will just put in your username and password right? Well if the site owner has a hidden text box for a credit card your auto fill may well input your credit card information into that box giving them this information.

Thanks for the warning.

I have a plastic card reader which creates a unique, short-life 6 digit code for each login, and this needs to be input for online account transactions. I'm not sure why more banks don't provide similar facilities
copper member
Activity: 98
Merit: 16
November 11, 2018, 06:15:45 AM
Even if you use a password manager, your accounts can still get hacked. It's not a guarantee that you are 100% safe.. Its just a step yo safety.
I think someone who would do a combination of all the security measures is better off
➖ Keep your computer or devices clean off malware and shady apps... Lately there have been incidents of crypto related apps that act as malware
➖ Bookmark all important links
➖ Install critical security add ons like cryptonite, ublock, netcraft to avoid getting phished whilst avoiding shady addons on your browser
➖ Use complex unpredictable passwords
➖ Use 2FA verification with every account you have especially with Authy or Google Authenticator
➖ Don't use the same password for all sites
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1080
November 11, 2018, 06:10:19 AM
I use a variation of pelmanism to create unique passwords for every site. However I use auto-fill for some of the sites I visit regularly.

Its something which has been a known issue with Chrome, Safari and lastpass. I would recommend against auto fill options whenever possible or be careful where you are using autofill and what information is stored in your password manager.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
November 11, 2018, 06:08:58 AM
lastpass.com
Activity: 122
Merit: 20
Jet Cash's better half
November 11, 2018, 06:04:16 AM
I use a variation of pelmanism to create unique passwords for every site. However I use auto-fill for some of the sites I visit regularly.
staff
Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110
November 11, 2018, 05:44:37 AM
One master password for all of your passwords? Not a fan. Although, it can be convenient it doesn't mean its the best option. However, I believe password managers do have 2 factor as well like requiring a certain file to login. That could be something thats useful, and attackers wouldn't think of looking at. A popular choice seems to be Yubikey, and keepass together. I've used password managers in the past, but have moved on since to the old fashion way of remembering them, and recording them locally for complex passwords.

It really depends. Its as safe as the environment its kept in, and the strength of the password.
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1047
thecryptocurrency.directory
November 10, 2018, 06:40:16 PM
I have read a lot of hacking incidents I don't know each one story they all said it was hacked, but is it safe to use a password manager like Roboform, keypass and dashlane to manage all your online login details and how safe are these devices.
Pages:
Jump to: