Pages:
Author

Topic: Argentina’s telecommunications hacked, demands Monero for ransom - page 3. (Read 407 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 26
Argentina’s telecommunications hacked and called for rescue in Monero
by Amber Baxter July 19, 2020
Telecommunications, Argentina’s largest telecommunications company was the victim of a ransomware attack as reported by several users on Twitter. Hackers are demanding $ 7.5 million in Monero (XMR), an amount that would increase to 15 million if the company doesn’t pay in less than 48 hours.

https://www.europeworldnews.com/argentinas-telecommunications-hacked-and-called-for-rescue-in-monero

It's interesting that the hackers are now demanding Monero, instead of the usual BTC which is the mode of ransom for many such attacks. Its for $7.5 million, and that is huge amount, I don't know if the company are willing to comply though, so let's see how things will turn out.
This attack and hacks is ruining the reputation of Bitcoin. Last time, it was some group of hackers demanding BTC on Twitter.

Believe me, in one way or the other, US and many developed countries will find it difficult to recognize crypto as friendly investments. The privacy afforded by Monero has done more harm than good especially in dark web.
Activity: 2842
Merit: 772
^^, yeah, I agree that it seems strange that the hacker suddenly switch their demand from bitcoin to monero. Maybe they don't want to go to another layer of using mixers or any another conjoin services because of the risk of Chainalysis.

Perhaps they need to assessed what data this the criminals get but for sure, names/addresses/personal info of their customers. If they don't pay, then for sure we will find this data being sold on the darkweb.
Activity: 114
Merit: 1
At least they smart enough to ask monero instead of btc
Activity: 2870
Merit: 594
Argentina’s telecommunications hacked and called for rescue in Monero
by Amber Baxter July 19, 2020
Telecommunications, Argentina’s largest telecommunications company was the victim of a ransomware attack as reported by several users on Twitter. Hackers are demanding $ 7.5 million in Monero (XMR), an amount that would increase to 15 million if the company doesn’t pay in less than 48 hours.

https://www.europeworldnews.com/argentinas-telecommunications-hacked-and-called-for-rescue-in-monero

It's interesting that the hackers are now demanding Monero, instead of the usual BTC which is the mode of ransom for many such attacks. Its for $7.5 million, and that is huge amount, I don't know if the company are willing to comply though, so let's see how things will turn out.
Pages:
Jump to: