Pages:
Author

Topic: Armed robbers have raided the house of a British virtual currency trader - page 2. (Read 614 times)

Activity: 935
Merit: 105
Hold but don't advertise your holdings. If you boast about having a huge amount, you'll surely be the prime target. And with cryptocurrency, it's easier to get away.
Activity: 1862
Merit: 830
You know what's the best thing about Bitcoins?
It can easily be tracked.
The owner can easy track where his money was off to and after that ... police can contact that wallet company and dj something about it.
It's so easily trackable that I don't even know why the criminals choosed to do it.
Well idk what anyone will do... But that man can sure hire a private detective and get his investigation done and offcourse get his money back by contacting the police.
It's easier than fiat.
Activity: 168
Merit: 0
I'm not totally believe on such situation that being happen, this is a second time I heard and read a column about robbers who attack a virtual cryptocurrency trader. However, if we believe the robbery story, there nothing loss us, but in that such kind of situation, it involves a person that knows the victim, it is likely an inside job. I am not so sure but this only my own idea. Hopefully that kind of situation will used as a learning lesson to everyone, so that everybody will make a total safety and security to their assets.
Activity: 1512
Merit: 351
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
3 months ago, one of the biggest Turkish exchange owner had kidnapped and forced to give private key of the cold wallet. Kidnappers stole 150 BTC. So this news is not the first physically stolen Bitcoins via force. I am sure there were some other robberies too.
Yes I definitely agree. There were a lot of users worldwide let me just say billions of users and the story behind them either good or bad experiences are hidden including robbery of Bitcoins. It is really important for us to hide our identity online due to prying eyes lurking arround. Much better to not put our funds in one wallet for it to be safe incase something bad will happen. But based on my observation regarding the story the owner is a popular individual using his true name during transactions so I think that was a disadvantage of that much better to use pseudonym.
Activity: 798
Merit: 503
I believe this guy's identity might have been leaked thru exchanges databases or other platforms that needs KYC. If not, only his close relatives, friends would have known his involvements in the cryptocurrency space. Either of this two might be the cause.
Either through exchange, or probably made some mistake declaring how wealthy he is in virtual currency. Some do that a lot which makes them an easy target. However, no one is safe; we just always have to be extra careful. We cannot trust a single person and it is usually best to keep somethings to you than announcing to the whole world. Like you said, even your closest friend or your family may be your enemy.

For someone who is that rich would not be stupid enough to announce his wealth just like that but some people are that foolish though to the extent of disclosing where they leave and put their entire family in danger that they didn't bargain for. But I think there is a lesson here that where you have majority of your fund, it should be kept in a further safe place maybe a bank, document management firm and the likes. For merely keeping it on your phone or paper on the shelf makes it vulnerable.
Activity: 532
Merit: 101
I believe this guy's identity might have been leaked thru exchanges databases or other platforms that needs KYC. If not, only his close relatives, friends would have known his involvements in the cryptocurrency space. Either of this two might be the cause.
Either through exchange, or probably made some mistake declaring how wealthy he is in virtual currency. Some do that a lot which makes them an easy target. However, no one is safe; we just always have to be extra careful. We cannot trust a single person and it is usually best to keep somethings to you than announcing to the whole world. Like you said, even your closest friend or your family may be your enemy.
Activity: 756
Merit: 250
Okay so first lesson from this story news is never use your real name in the internet world because you will be robbed for sure. That tells us how we are not making anonymous transaction at all, and everything is trackable publicly upto the extent that we are getting robbed in the house now.

Dam I gotta take down my name from the social networking now.

I have one concern here, how the hell those guys were not arrested. They have commited the crime and must be barred for sure.

The name from social networks does not need to be deleted, I think the main thing is to tell less than all what you do and not to make purchases that will attract the attention of robbers (such as an expensive car, a big house, etc.)
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Blackjack.fun
If you are doing any dealings online, you still have to be very careful you are not attaching it to yourself, otherwise you may be a victim.

You can't do big businesses and remain anonymous.
This was not the case of some shady localbitcoin trader that was doing 10$ deals.

I really do not see these robber being a problem for bitcoin in general.

Yes it is a problem because of the way you can deal with the stolen goods.
If you steal jewelry or art you have to sell them somehow, just like cars , with cash you also have to avoid getting caught with the bills, bank deposits leave trails , everything can be traced.

But with bitcoin, you gain access to the coins, you send them to an address you own with the key stored somewhere safe, with no trace of it on your desktop, smartphone or anywhere in your house and you can walk away whistling from the scene.The victim has to come with proofs they were indeed robbed, and there is no evidence against you even if you the police stops you in matter of seconds after the robbery.

And this will attract only attract more and more robbers, we are going to see gangs specialized in those kind of things.
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 1162
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games
The story was predicted by a lot of people so far. No matter how you have you`re currency stored, someone will always want to get it. Safe code or blockchain private key - it is all the same. Even if you take precautions, everything can happen. Thanks God, I have nothing to be stolen)))
Seriously? Grin You are thanking God for having nothing to be stolen? That your mindset though really made me laugh. The most important thing is to find a way to stay secured, but I guess we cannot always be secured 100% of the time anyway, but with some level of wisdom, I feel that could be possible. If you are doing any dealings online, you still have to be very careful you are not attaching it to yourself, otherwise you may be a victim.

I really do not see these robber being a problem for bitcoin in general. Your public address is not tied to your name, so how will that happen unless of course you publicly display your own address yourself and give them something to know your real identity. The last sentence you made is just the best here, and it is obviously better not to even brag about your wealth in general so you do not become a target.
Activity: 658
Merit: 260
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
Okay so first lesson from this story news is never use your real name in the internet world because you will be robbed for sure. That tells us how we are not making anonymous transaction at all, and everything is trackable publicly upto the extent that we are getting robbed in the house now.

Dam I gotta take down my name from the social networking now.

I have one concern here, how the hell those guys were not arrested. They have commited the crime and must be barred for sure.
Activity: 166
Merit: 1
Because of the popularity of cryptocurrency, some people became rich.

They had better keep a low profile. One of the disadvantages of bitcoin is anonymity, which allows more criminals to take advantage of it.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057
3 months ago, one of the biggest Turkish exchange owner had kidnapped and forced to give private key of the cold wallet. Kidnappers stole 150 BTC. So this news is not the first physically stolen Bitcoins via force. I am sure there were some other robberies too.

i hadn't heard about that one. but 2 months ago, a director at EXMO (exchange set up in the UK that caters to people in russia/former CIS countries) was kidnapped and held for a $1 million ransom. the ransom was paid in bitcoins and he was released.

the scary thing about all these cases? they all involve victims who were targets just because of their involvement with cryptocurrency. because of their jobs.

a reminder: don't announce your holdings to anyone except your closest loved ones and trusted friends. and if you want to get involved in the industry as someone with custodial access to lots of crypto......think again. it's obviously a dangerous occupation.
That pretty much says it. It does not only happen to those who are cryptocurrency holders alone anyway, it has always happened even before then where kidnappers demand ransom in fiat based on how valuable or wealthy the person is in the society. However, it seems they are beginning to see cryptocurrency as the easiest way to demand ransom and stay anonymous without being traced.
Activity: 64
Merit: 0
Regal RA DMCC - the first company in the Middle East with a license to trade crypto-currencies and the world's first with cold storage.

On February 13, the Dubai Multi-Purpose Commodity Raw Material Platform issued the first license in the Middle East for the trading of Regal RA DMCC crypto-currencies. Immediately after the licensing of its own activities in the crypto currency area, a subsidiary of Regal Assets announced the opening of the world's first offline (cold) storage for digital assets. Information on this is posted on the official website of DMCC.

https://www.dmcc.ae/news/worlds-first-deep-cold-storage-crypto-commodities-launched-regal-assets-dubai
Activity: 308
Merit: 253
I think this is an important story because I feel most people don't think about these kinds of dangers. I know this was a known exchange guy, but I see a lot of people on Facebook talking about cryptos and that just makes them a target of criminals.
Activity: 980
Merit: 255
Well I actually think this is a big issue that needs to be solved, so that people can feel secure while they hold bitcoin at their homes. As we all know bitcoin is not really anonymous, so if robbers manage to link btc address to people, the they can see how much money they have, and they can plan an assault. They can then physically threat the BTC owners and force them to make a transaction to them. If they are fast enough, they can easily cash out the coins, or can try to send them to multiple addresses in order to make it difficult to track them as they move the coin around.

Although I prefer cryto to banks from many reasons, this is still one big argument that favours banks or centralization over bitcoin. It's harder to make these kind of assaults with fiat, because they are held at the banks, and you can't just transfer big amounts like that.
This is northing really new, this is the same as if you were carrying with you jewelry and a bunch of cash, bad people will notice it and will target you and your family, the difference is that your bitcoin balance is there for everyone to see, so if you want to avoid something like this to happen to you need to make an effort to not link your real identity to a bitcoin address holding a huge amount of bitcoin that way you cannot be specifically targeted for these kind of criminals.
Activity: 210
Merit: 10
The revolutionary trading ecosystem
I felt sorry about him. This is the reason why I want it to be low profile. Earn big while low profile. Not arrogant on blessing what I will receive.
Activity: 1694
Merit: 541
i hadn't heard about that one. but 2 months ago, a director at EXMO (exchange set up in the UK that caters to people in russia/former CIS countries) was kidnapped and held for a $1 million ransom. the ransom was paid in bitcoins and he was released.
I thought this was the first incident regarding physically taking the bitcoin with force,the cases of these sort of intrusions are increasing on a daily basis and around the globe you have to be careful to whom you are revealing about your assets,because the possibility to steal your money and go invisible is a possibility as most of the countries have not legalized bitcoin or any currency and the investigation is not that easy for a virtual object,unless the robber makes a mistake.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023
I feel like there's an interesting and important angle to this news story that I'm missing. If someone can spot it, please point it out to me!

On the positive side, its good no one got hurt. Does anyone think he'll have his funds returned by law enforcement?
The biggest mistake he did was to publish his home address as his office address and any robber who is familiar with crypto currency have carried out this plan because they think that the transactions cannot be traced and so on,either way the risk of informing others about your stock or business will always attract danger .
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1335
Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com
You guys do understand the fundamental flaw of this whole story right? Don't name your highly speculative lucrative company after yourself, that is a good way to avoid most of this mess happening I believe Roll Eyes.

They are making this thing look like crypto holders are suddenly becoming a target. They are not! Robberies like that have been happening all around the world and those targeted were wealthy businessmen that were known to have cash in the house. Crypto used to be ignored since robbers were unfamiliar with technicalities and didn't want to risk it going down in value before they can sell it. Cash was much easier to steal and launder.
Activity: 246
Merit: 100
This will be the downside for bitcoin when it comes to being taken from you. Unlike fiat money which is backed by the government, I doubt that they can return the cryptos stolen, being that it might have already been sent out to everywhere. Bitcoin is anonymous and it is digital goods not yet recognized by the government. They can file criminal charges against the perpetrators for threatening them at gunpoint but proving ownership of those cryptos may pose a problem.
Pages:
Jump to: