Pages:
Author

Topic: Armory 0.94 is out - page 5. (Read 7076 times)

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074
March 29, 2016, 08:39:55 PM
Ok, so I get problems installing over 0.93.3

Code:
sub-process installed post-removal script exited with error 3: xdg-desktop-menu: No writable system menu directory found

No such problems if I simply install the 0.94 package without 0.93.3 previously installed. I suspect that the error is a kind of false positive, i.e. possibly there is no system menu directory in the Debian 8 template used for Qubes (I know that many significant elements, e.g. the main desktop package, are excised from the OS template). Uninstalling 0.94 yields the same xdg error.

The dpkg script is dated now, it probably needs some work. I'll look at that sometimes before 0.95

I'm working a couple fixes for 0.94.1, hopefully have it out this week.

I've confirmed the installation issues I was having with the .deb for 0.94.0 were related to these lines in dpkgfiles/postinst:

Code:
execAndWait('xdg-desktop-menu  install --novendor /usr/share/applications/armory.desktop')
execAndWait('xdg-desktop-menu  install --novendor /usr/share/applications/armorytestnet.desktop')
execAndWait('xdg-desktop-menu  install --novendor /usr/share/applications/armoryoffline.desktop')

not sure if it's the arguments for xdg-desktop-menu or something in the calling function, it's going to take a little wrapping my head around that function (although I think understand it's broad purpose). Documentation for freedesktop/xdg states that error 3 means resource unavailability, and curiously, they have a separate error code for file/dir not found/inaccessible (and in their terminology, "system menu directory" could well not be referring to a filesystem directory).

Will post results if/when I discover the problem. I don't normally work on this sort of thing, someone talented may beat me to it Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1081
Merit: 1001
March 29, 2016, 07:19:09 PM
Done! Painless. It took 6 minutes to build the new 0.94 DB and another 10 minutes to scan the transactions; a total of 16 minutes before Armory 0.94 was fully caught up and functional.

Again, props to goatpig and the rest of the team for an awesome and very significant endeavor. Did I mention that the DB shrunk from 60.4 GB down to 140 MB? Just awesome!

I am sharing my procedure during update to 0.94 (Windows 7). Hopefully, it aids others in the transition. Note that it is based on my setup with Armory not managing bitcoin-qt/bitcoind (manual) and an alternate location/path for both Bitcoin and Armory data directories (not default). Otherwise, adjust accordingly or as indicated:

1. rename the old Armory data folder (as backup/fallback to previous version)

2. install Armory 0.94 but opt for "NOT" running Armory at the end of the installation process

3. Start Armory 0.94 in Offline Mode [Start/All Progams/Armory/Bitcoin Armory (Offline)] but "Skip" creating a wallet. An "Armory" folder will then be created in the default directory [C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Armory] initially containing "databases" folder, armorylog.txt and ArmorySettings.txt (sans wallet file/s). Change your settings accordingly [File/Settings...] and save it. Close Armory

4. Copy/Move the Armory data folder from the default directory/path to the alternate location (skip this step if using default location)

5. Copy wallet file/s from the old Armory data folder to the new (0.94) Armory data folder

6. Start Bitcoin-Qt and let it sync and catch up (skip this step if Armory is set up to automatically manage bitcoin-qt/bitcoind)

7. Start Armory 0.94 and let it sync, build the new DB and consequently scan transactions.

legendary
March 29, 2016, 04:00:42 PM
2. install 0.94 over 0.93.3 (...or is it fully uninstall 0.93.3 first then install a fresh and virgin 0.94)

You can do either. Installing over is enough, as only the binaries need to be written over (You could do that manually actually, Armory update process is fairly simple on Windows).

3. save and secure 0.93.3 data as a fallback while creating the new 0.94 data format

I recommend you do that until you are sure 0.94 is stable on your setup.
Got it! Thank you.

legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1345
Armory Developer
March 29, 2016, 02:00:39 PM
How should I send the log?

If you clean up the private data, you can pastebin it and post the link here, otherwise copy paste the content in PM
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
March 29, 2016, 01:50:48 PM
ArmoryQT.exe crashes at Loading Database Headers (0%)

Edit: Got it online once for about a minute, then ArmoryQT.exe crashed
Update: seems like its working now
Update: Nope, keeps crashing

log files

How should I send the log?
legendary
Armory Developer
March 29, 2016, 12:13:29 PM
-INFO  - 1459265822: (..\DatabaseBuilder.cpp:98) scanning new blocks from #0 to #397776

Your top block count is way off. We're nearing 405k.

Make sure BitcoinQt is up to date. Also make sure you aren't running this on top of a pre-existing 0.93 DB. If the issue persists, PM me.
Activity: 28
March 29, 2016, 11:39:59 AM
Thanks, I am having a major problem of crashing  on startup with this new version.

Crashes at loading database headers 0% after a few minutes.

I thought this may fix an existing problem I encountered last week.

-----------------------------

I had a bug report that I just encountered about missing bitcoins. It appears to be related to summing the transactions:

I have a set of addresses that are associated with my bitcoin wallet however; armory does not include these in the balance.

They originally showed up as unconfirmed transactions. There are now 5 transaction. The software showed that they never confirmed. They are confirmed and have balances on block chain.

I have reimported wallet from my paper backup and retried. Transactions still not there. I used old wallet and exported the private keys of the address and attempted to import them into my paper backup wallet.

The software said they were already associated with this wallet. I tried to import them into a second wallet -- the software said another wallet had them and they are a duplicate addresses.

There are payments in these addresses however; I can't get them into the transaction log. They are missing from my BTC total.

It appears armory is skipping these transaction addresses and not summing them.

Do you have any idea? Is this a known bug?

-------------------------------

Here are the log files from the recent crash:

Log file opened at 1459265633: C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\XXX\armorycpplog.txt
-INFO  - 1459265685: (..\BlockUtils.cpp:924) blkfile dir: C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\blocks
-INFO  - 1459265685: (..\BlockUtils.cpp:925) lmdb dir: C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\Armory\databases
-INFO  - 1459265685: (..\lmdb_wrapper.cpp:387) Opening databases...
-INFO  - 1459265685: (..\BlockUtils.cpp:1110) Executing: doInitialSyncOnLoad
-INFO  - 1459265685: (..\DatabaseBuilder.cpp:162) Reading headers from db
-INFO  - 1459265687: (..\DatabaseBuilder.cpp:195) Found 404853 headers in db
-INFO  - 1459265756: (..\DatabaseBuilder.cpp:43) updating HEADERS db
-DEBUG - 1459265756: (..\Blockchain.cpp:213) Organizing chain
-INFO  - 1459265822: (..\DatabaseBuilder.cpp:47) updated HEADERS db in 65.6s
-INFO  - 1459265822: (..\DatabaseBuilder.cpp:98) scanning new blocks from #0 to #397776
-ERROR - 1459265823: (..\BlockchainScanner.cpp:257) unknown block deser error during scan at height #0
-ERROR - 1459265823: (..\BlockchainScanner.cpp:257) unknown block deser error during scan at height #0

If you need more information (LOGS/transaction IDS) about the bug, I can contact you privately. Thanks
legendary
Armory Developer
March 29, 2016, 10:56:20 AM
2. install 0.94 over 0.93.3 (...or is it fully uninstall 0.93.3 first then install a fresh and virgin 0.94)

You can do either. Installing over is enough, as only the binaries need to be written over (You could do that manually actually, Armory update process is fairly simple on Windows).

3. save and secure 0.93.3 data as a fallback while creating the new 0.94 data format

I recommend you do that until you are sure 0.94 is stable on your setup.
staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
March 29, 2016, 10:00:30 AM
Any ETA on 94.01?  No rush - just wondering if I need to setup 93 again...

Thanks buddddddy!
The updated Windows version is already out and posted on https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/releases/tag/v0.94.0
legendary
March 29, 2016, 09:53:24 AM

Thanks buddddddy!
It's already out.
legendary
March 29, 2016, 09:51:18 AM
1. Armory does not manage Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind (i.e. I manually start Bitcoin-QT to let it sync then run Armory and let it catch up)

This is my preferred setup too but it works fine either way. I messed up the first release and auto bitcoind wouldn't work on Windows. 0.94.0.1 will work with auto bitcoind however.

2. Both Bitcoin and Armory data directories are not on their respective default location/path

3. Bitcoin shortcut target attribute/parameter: "C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe" -datadir="D:\BitcoinData\Bitcoin"

4. Armory shortcut target attribute/parameter: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\ArmoryQt.exe" --skip-announce-check --satoshi-datadir="D:\BitcoinData\Bitcoin" --datadir="D:\ArmoryData\Armory"

The pathing arguments are correct. --skip-announce-check is obsolete now. All phone home code is gone in this release. The CLI arg is still there for backwards compatibility. It doesn't do anything anymore though.

Would the aforementioned configuration/procedure be compatible with 0.94 and future releases or do I have to make some changes to update Armory successfully from here on?

0.94 DB format is different from 0.93, you can't have them both running in the same folder. I'd recommend you use a different DB folder (add --dbdir="some/new/folder" to your shortcut target) and make sure 0.94 is stable before completely replacing 0.93's DB.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

To recap...

1. remove "--skip-announce-check" from the argument

Is that about right?

Activity: 51
March 29, 2016, 09:41:48 AM

Thanks buddddddy!
legendary
Armory Developer
March 29, 2016, 09:29:11 AM
1. Armory does not manage Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind (i.e. I manually start Bitcoin-QT to let it sync then run Armory and let it catch up)

This is my preferred setup too but it works fine either way. I messed up the first release and auto bitcoind wouldn't work on Windows. 0.94.0.1 will work with auto bitcoind however.

2. Both Bitcoin and Armory data directories are not on their respective default location/path

3. Bitcoin shortcut target attribute/parameter: "C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe" -datadir="D:\BitcoinData\Bitcoin"

4. Armory shortcut target attribute/parameter: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\ArmoryQt.exe" --skip-announce-check --satoshi-datadir="D:\BitcoinData\Bitcoin" --datadir="D:\ArmoryData\Armory"

The pathing arguments are correct. --skip-announce-check is obsolete now. All phone home code is gone in this release. The CLI arg is still there for backwards compatibility. It doesn't do anything anymore though.

Would the aforementioned configuration/procedure be compatible with 0.94 and future releases or do I have to make some changes to update Armory successfully from here on?

0.94 DB format is different from 0.93, you can't have them both running in the same folder. I'd recommend you use a different DB folder (add --dbdir="some/new/folder" to your shortcut target) and make sure 0.94 is stable before completely replacing 0.93's DB.
legendary
March 29, 2016, 09:16:08 AM
Kudos to all who made this release possible. Thank you for the selfless work you have done.

Before exploring with this exciting update, I would like to clarify a few things if I may so I do not screw up and make a mess of the process.

My online Armory has been set up as follows:

The above configuration has worked flawlessly ever since. To update Armory, I would usually just install the new version over the old one and everything would be peachy with nary an issue whatsoever.

legendary
Armory Developer
March 29, 2016, 05:37:36 AM

log files
Activity: 55
March 28, 2016, 10:03:39 PM

legendary
Armory Developer
March 28, 2016, 06:23:27 PM
Updated the Windows build, this should fix the missing guardian error (v0.94.0.1)

I found a bug with parallel scans, this should only affect people that load wallets or import addresses after Armory is fully online. To repair the issue, do a Help -> Rescan Balance. I'll post a build with the actual fix in a day or 2.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002
Mine Mine Mine
March 28, 2016, 04:37:05 PM
I take back what I said earlier about this working.  It's not working for me... hanging after the last block...
Been at 0 blocks for about 12 hours now.

had the same problem, i revert back to 0.93..3 ... i think i could've missed some steps.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002
Mine Mine Mine
March 28, 2016, 04:35:46 PM
how do i upgrade the online watching wallet ?

figured it out, just DL & install, loads, but keeps on initializing bitcoin engine  ... wallet has been fully synced not it says 99% 4 blocks to go  Huh

thx goatpig & others that contributed  Grin

did not workout for me, revert back to 0.93.3 any tips appreciated.

TIA

Start BitcoinQt manually, let it sync. Give Armory another database folder (use --dbdir), start it and let it do its thing.

tried that, since 0.93.3 i can't use manual bitcoin qt, have to use let armory run bitcoin qt/bitcoind in the background.

i have my qt installed on another hdd & armory on C: drive * i think this could be the problem to start QT/bitcoind manually

i tried deleting old db n run 0.94, no go then reverted back to 0.93.3 & let it do what it needed to do, wallet works normal now but when i  untick armory auto mgmt of bitcoind, it says armory is offline be it 0.93.3 0.94 when bitcoin qt is already running & synced.

how to i use the --dbdir ? running on win7

appreciate a fix.

thx again.
legendary
Armory Developer
March 28, 2016, 04:09:46 PM
I'm running Windows 10 - how do I get them to you?

Start Armory in offline mode and go to File -> Extract Log File. Or you can post the content of armorylog.txt and armorycpplog.txt found in your Armory datadir.
Pages:
Jump to: