Author

Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread - page 128. (Read 521761 times)

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
April 18, 2013, 05:12:31 AM
Question!

Has anyone ever noticed a difference between the Win64 and Windows_all versions of Armory, on 64-bit Windows?  I just noticed on my googlecode download page that 99.9% of downloads are for the win32 version.  And I know more than 0.1% of users are using 64-bit!  

I ask, because it's kind of a pain to keep producing both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the software.  If I could reduce it to just one Windows version, that would dramatically reduce the amount of work I have to do for a release!    Perhaps this proves that the 32-bit version is interchangeable with the 64-bit version and I can ditch it...

Thoughts/experiences?

win32 works on win64 too therefore it would be better to just build for win32?!
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
April 18, 2013, 01:52:39 AM
Question!

Has anyone ever noticed a difference between the Win64 and Windows_all versions of Armory, on 64-bit Windows?  I just noticed on my googlecode download page that 99.9% of downloads are for the win32 version.  And I know more than 0.1% of users are using 64-bit!  

I ask, because it's kind of a pain to keep producing both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the software.  If I could reduce it to just one Windows version, that would dramatically reduce the amount of work I have to do for a release!    Perhaps this proves that the 32-bit version is interchangeable with the 64-bit version and I can ditch it...

Thoughts/experiences?

legendary
Activity: 980
April 15, 2013, 04:55:02 PM
etotheipi, do you have an update on the offline wallet system, where Armory in offline mode is running on an offline device, connected to a PC via a USB-to-serial adapter, and the Armory running in online mode on the PC is able to send transactions to the offline device for signing?

I really want to get this up and running, so I'm interested in hearing how far you are with this, and if there's anything I can do to help.

You can use the offline_server branch of my fork. It's based on etotheipi's latest testing branch.

You'll have to disable the serial TTY on the Pi. I used this guide. Then compile Armory for the Pi. I used this guide. Finally plug the Pi into your computer (it can be powered by the serial cable), transfer the compiled files (from a USB drive, not over the serial cable!) and run extras/offline_serial_server.py (for me it's /dev/ttyAMA0 and baud rate 115200).

For your online computer, you'll have to be in advanced or expert mode, then you can set the device and baud rate in the settings dialog. Once that is complete, you should see the status change to connected in the bottom right. Now, on the dialog from which you can save an offline transaction, you can also transmit it to the offline device. You'll be prompted for the wallet passphrase if your wallet is encrypted. Enter it on the Pi's keyboard. Once the Pi transmits the signed transaction back to your computer, it will automatically advance to the Broadcast dialog.

It should be pretty easy to use, but I created it so maybe that's just me. Cheesy
That's awesome! Thanks for coding and releasing this. I hope this is merged into mainline Armory at some point.

I'm planning on starting with the old school method of transferring transactions with a USB stick, and, when I'm comfortable with this, move on to this method.
Activity: 496
Merit: 500
April 14, 2013, 09:20:27 PM
etotheipi, do you have an update on the offline wallet system, where Armory in offline mode is running on an offline device, connected to a PC via a USB-to-serial adapter, and the Armory running in online mode on the PC is able to send transactions to the offline device for signing?

I really want to get this up and running, so I'm interested in hearing how far you are with this, and if there's anything I can do to help.

You can use the offline_server branch of my fork. It's based on etotheipi's latest testing branch.

You'll have to disable the serial TTY on the Pi. I used this guide. Then compile Armory for the Pi. I used this guide. Finally plug the Pi into your computer (it can be powered by the serial cable), transfer the compiled files (from a USB drive, not over the serial cable!) and run extras/offline_serial_server.py (for me it's /dev/ttyAMA0 and baud rate 115200).

For your online computer, you'll have to be in advanced or expert mode, then you can set the device and baud rate in the settings dialog. Once that is complete, you should see the status change to connected in the bottom right. Now, on the dialog from which you can save an offline transaction, you can also transmit it to the offline device. You'll be prompted for the wallet passphrase if your wallet is encrypted. Enter it on the Pi's keyboard. Once the Pi transmits the signed transaction back to your computer, it will automatically advance to the Broadcast dialog.

It should be pretty easy to use, but I created it so maybe that's just me. Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 980
April 14, 2013, 08:52:16 AM

legendary
Core Armory Developer
April 13, 2013, 12:41:28 PM
For anyone interested in the OSX build, here's my first shot at it:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-the-first-armory-for-osx-release-testing-175777

Qt definitely behaves differently on OSX, requiring some OSX-specific tweaks to the layouts, but it's very usable!
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
April 12, 2013, 02:25:55 AM
Did you really mean to post that very relevant picture in this thread?  And if you think this is a ride, try a real crash!  The price "crashed" down to what it was four days ago.  How dramatic!   Wink

Indeed.  I have suspected for a while that the run-up was a bubble, though I expected it to persist a bit longer.  All this media attention came in only last week, and thought there was going to be another couple weeks of people pouring into the system.  Maybe there still will be.  But I'm not afraid of the price "reverting to the mean", only the ensuing media attention which going to cast it into a poor light.  And it's partly justified -- people are going mental, and panicking, and our poor little infrastructure can't handle it!

For reference... 2 months ago I was at about 2,000 downloads/month.  Now I've gotten 2,000 downloads in the last 2-4 days!  I'm also getting a lot more emails and postings about it.  Obvioulsy no one else can respond to the emails, but I request some help responding to postings in the Armory subforum.  I'm going to try to resist the urge to respond to these things immediately, and give others a chance to help me, first.  I'm going to focus on coding Smiley

I don't think the Armory download volume is/was experiencing a bubble, since mostly only people who have done thorough research about bitcoin would be interested in it(many of the long-time bitcoiners I know still have no idea about the advantages of cold storage), it's a sign of growth of educated bitcoin userbase.

I think that was the case before they changed bitcoin.org.  Now, it is parallel to Bitcoin-Qt instead of an alternative you have to go hunting for.  Granted, the description says "advanced", but I'm sure lots of people want to try it out anyway...

There's just no other way to describe a 5x-8x increase in volume (bitcoin.org getting 5x-10x more volume and them featuring Armory next to Bitcoin-Qt).  It's pretty awesome, but it makes these usability issues all the more pressing!

Actually, it's already quite surprising that so many people want to run their own clients, rather than relying on third-party services.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
April 12, 2013, 01:29:59 AM
Did you really mean to post that very relevant picture in this thread?  And if you think this is a ride, try a real crash!  The price "crashed" down to what it was four days ago.  How dramatic!   Wink

Indeed.  I have suspected for a while that the run-up was a bubble, though I expected it to persist a bit longer.  All this media attention came in only last week, and thought there was going to be another couple weeks of people pouring into the system.  Maybe there still will be.  But I'm not afraid of the price "reverting to the mean", only the ensuing media attention which going to cast it into a poor light.  And it's partly justified -- people are going mental, and panicking, and our poor little infrastructure can't handle it!

For reference... 2 months ago I was at about 2,000 downloads/month.  Now I've gotten 2,000 downloads in the last 2-4 days!  I'm also getting a lot more emails and postings about it.  Obvioulsy no one else can respond to the emails, but I request some help responding to postings in the Armory subforum.  I'm going to try to resist the urge to respond to these things immediately, and give others a chance to help me, first.  I'm going to focus on coding Smiley

I don't think the Armory download volume is/was experiencing a bubble, since mostly only people who have done thorough research about bitcoin would be interested in it(many of the long-time bitcoiners I know still have no idea about the advantages of cold storage), it's a sign of growth of educated bitcoin userbase.

I think that was the case before they changed bitcoin.org.  Now, it is parallel to Bitcoin-Qt instead of an alternative you have to go hunting for.  Granted, the description says "advanced", but I'm sure lots of people want to try it out anyway...

There's just no other way to describe a 5x-8x increase in volume (bitcoin.org getting 5x-10x more volume and them featuring Armory next to Bitcoin-Qt).  It's pretty awesome, but it makes these usability issues all the more pressing!
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
April 12, 2013, 01:27:24 AM
Did you really mean to post that very relevant picture in this thread?  And if you think this is a ride, try a real crash!  The price "crashed" down to what it was four days ago.  How dramatic!   Wink

Indeed.  I have suspected for a while that the run-up was a bubble, though I expected it to persist a bit longer.  All this media attention came in only last week, and thought there was going to be another couple weeks of people pouring into the system.  Maybe there still will be.  But I'm not afraid of the price "reverting to the mean", only the ensuing media attention which going to cast it into a poor light.  And it's partly justified -- people are going mental, and panicking, and our poor little infrastructure can't handle it!

For reference... 2 months ago I was at about 2,000 downloads/month.  Now I've gotten 2,000 downloads in the last 2-4 days!  I'm also getting a lot more emails and postings about it.  Obvioulsy no one else can respond to the emails, but I request some help responding to postings in the Armory subforum.  I'm going to try to resist the urge to respond to these things immediately, and give others a chance to help me, first.  I'm going to focus on coding Smiley

Activity: 547
Decor in numeris
April 11, 2013, 03:15:05 PM
Don't rush the OSX for my sake - I am happy with the version I "brewed" a month ago or so - my only incentive for changing something that works well would be to help with testing.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
April 11, 2013, 02:40:06 PM
What is the status with respect to testing under MacOS?  Should I build from source, and manage bitcoind/bitcoin-qt myself?

I ran into more problems with OSX than expected.  I decided to start over from scratch, but decided I should focus on getting the Linux & Windows stuff out the door before then.  With about 20k downloads per month for Windows, I decided the usability upgrades I have need to be top priority.  I think I'm finally almost there.  Probably tonight or tomorrow I'll take another shot at the OSX build.  I promise it's coming!
Decor in numeris
April 11, 2013, 02:30:26 PM
What is the status with respect to testing under MacOS?  Should I build from source, and manage bitcoind/bitcoin-qt myself?
legendary
Core Armory Developer
April 11, 2013, 02:19:27 PM
Non-US Users.  Please help me test!  Need unicode/non-en-us users to try it.

Armory 0.87.97-testing!  All testing releases are signed!

The new auto-bitcoind stuff came with a host of critical unicode issues.  In the past, such issues were simply annoying, but didn't actually prevent users from using Armory.  Now it did.  I have upgraded the critical paths to handle unicode, and added warnings for everything else.   One exception to unicode handling is that you cannot use unicode in your bitcoin.conf username or password, and only in Windows!  (it works fine in Linux)  Otherwise, I'm hoping this will go a lot better than before!

See the call for testing help:  
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1655941

Improvements from 0.87.95:

-Unicode issues addressed
-New offline bundle for Ubuntu 64-bit
-Frag/unfrag scripts bundled properly now in the offline bundle, I think
-Fixed a problem with existing, partial bitcoin.conf files.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
April 11, 2013, 01:03:57 PM
I don't think this is a bubble in the classic sense. It's trying to be an adoption curve, but the infrastructure for moving from traditional currencies into bitcoin just can't keep up with demand and isn't scaling quickly enough.

At the moment it's incredibly difficult to buy bitcoins even though many people want to, due to limitations of the legacy financial system.

Just like in 2011, I'm pretty certain the this event is just the system reverting to mean.  I don't know what the mean is, but it wouldn't surprise me if $266/BTC was $100 real-value + $166 speculator-mania.  If you look at the 2011 bubble, there was actually a fairly smooth growth curve that persisted, underneath the 1,000% bubble.  I'm expecting to see the same thing happen here, but with a "higher" mean, because there was actually a lot of real growth of Bitcoin, underneath the speculation.   I just don't think the real growth reached $250/BTC yet. 

Intrinsic value isn't limited to current applicability but also the (discounted) worth of the future applications. Just like companies are valued on the discounted value of their future cash flows. Of course the future cash flows are uncertain until they are actually reported. This is also true for Bitcoin. I however believe the future applicability and usage is quite likely to be quite large (it isn't very useful to try to be more accurate).
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
April 11, 2013, 01:02:36 PM
The thing about high exchange rates is that they tend to promote real growth. The last set of numbers which BitPay posted showed the order volume they were processing growing at a rate several times faster than the exchange rate was increasing, which is a direct reflection of real economic growth. If we end up spending a prolonged period down at about half the ATH the merchant adoption rate will probably slow.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
April 11, 2013, 12:34:33 PM
I don't think this is a bubble in the classic sense. It's trying to be an adoption curve, but the infrastructure for moving from traditional currencies into bitcoin just can't keep up with demand and isn't scaling quickly enough.

At the moment it's incredibly difficult to buy bitcoins even though many people want to, due to limitations of the legacy financial system.

Just like in 2011, I'm pretty certain the this event is just the system reverting to mean.  I don't know what the mean is, but it wouldn't surprise me if $266/BTC was $100 real-value + $166 speculator-mania.  If you look at the 2011 bubble, there was actually a fairly smooth growth curve that persisted, underneath the 1,000% bubble.  I'm expecting to see the same thing happen here, but with a "higher" mean, because there was actually a lot of real growth of Bitcoin, underneath the speculation.   I just don't think the real growth reached $250/BTC yet. 

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
April 11, 2013, 12:26:53 PM

legendary
Core Armory Developer
April 11, 2013, 11:53:39 AM

Decor in numeris
April 11, 2013, 06:29:05 AM
Activity: 218
Merit: 100
April 10, 2013, 05:26:14 PM
P.S. -- Geezuz, what a day on Gox! 

Jump to: