Author

Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread - page 135. (Read 521749 times)

Activity: 546
Merit: 10
March 11, 2013, 12:36:18 PM
How can I force armory to look at the block chain and update?

When I get coins sent to my armory address they do not show in the armory application.  My bitcoin client is up to date.

The way I force it to update now is by closing it down and restarting it.   Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
March 11, 2013, 12:03:00 PM
how about an Update button under Help?
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
March 11, 2013, 11:56:36 AM
so why won't Armory work in the presence of a bitcoin.conf file?
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
March 11, 2013, 01:55:19 AM
Another feature request: ability to enter/edit comment on the View Details/Transaction Info popup.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
March 11, 2013, 12:37:51 AM
Sorry coqui33,

This is not currently possible, because Armory depends on having access to the blk*.dat files in the Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind home directory.  In the future (hopefully near future), this will be possible, as I start maintaining my own database of blockchain data.  However, bear in mind that Armory is very dumb when it comes to networking... it can compute the longest chain, but that's its only defense.  So you will have to select a trusted node.  I recognize you are planning to do that, it's just a warning.

However, before then, the RAM usage will probably come down considerably, so it may not be needed in your case.

Good news!  24 hours and 24 BTC, and it looks like we may have an OSX installer for Armory soon!  It turns out, all it took was some advertising on reddit -- someone had basically already packaged it up for his own use.   I wish I'd known it was that easy, I wouldn't have been dreading it for months!
Activity: 198
Merit: 100
March 10, 2013, 05:37:58 PM
Thank you. My fault. I should have been clearer. I use Windows, not linux.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
March 10, 2013, 03:33:18 PM
Is this the right place to post suggested future features? Could Armory someday be made to access the bitcoin-d node running on a different machine? As it turns out, my 24/7 bitcoin-d node runs on a computer with insufficient ram to run Armory (along with everything else). So I would like to run Armory on a different machine on the LAN. FYI, Andreas Schildbach's latest Android wallet does this.
this already works (i do it myself), atleast the network thingy.
i mount the .armory directory with NFS onto the local machine and forward the local bitcoind ports to the others machine with socat (nc works too).
Activity: 198
Merit: 100
March 10, 2013, 12:54:13 PM
Is this the right place to post suggested future features? Could Armory someday be made to access the bitcoin-d node running on a different machine? As it turns out, my 24/7 bitcoin-d node runs on a computer with insufficient ram to run Armory (along with everything else). So I would like to run Armory on a different machine on the LAN. FYI, Andreas Schildbach's latest Android wallet does this.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 10, 2013, 03:09:30 AM
Ok I will just restore it and it took like 5 or 6 clicks to unlock it. I am on a mac with https://github.com/WyseNynja/homebrew-bitcoin/blob/master/armory-qt.rb so I have to wait until that updates to 0.87.3

0.87.3 shouldn't behave any different in this regard, compared to 0.87.

So wait, you did restore it?  Your wording was awkward...

If you restored from paper backup and it still has unlocking problems... I'll have to think about that one...

You could also try going to Help-->Revert All Settings.  I doubt that would do it, but who knows.  Also, make sure the wallet is removed from your .armory directory before you restore from paper backup.  

So I put a tail on the log and the only issue that it took like 2 hours after importing the paper wallet to read the blockchain and I just sent 1 btc to your bounty for the Mac OSX with no issues, guess the wallet was corrupted.

Ugh!  Have you used a lot of addresses in that wallet?  I forgot that I recently added an "extended" search for restored wallets, to guarantee that it searches out far enough in your address list.  If you have used a lot of addresses, I could see it doing quite a few scans....

Glad it works now, though...
legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 09, 2013, 10:57:58 PM
Ok I will just restore it and it took like 5 or 6 clicks to unlock it. I am on a mac with https://github.com/WyseNynja/homebrew-bitcoin/blob/master/armory-qt.rb so I have to wait until that updates to 0.87.3

0.87.3 shouldn't behave any different in this regard, compared to 0.87.

So wait, you did restore it?  Your wording was awkward...

If you restored from paper backup and it still has unlocking problems... I'll have to think about that one...

You could also try going to Help-->Revert All Settings.  I doubt that would do it, but who knows.  Also, make sure the wallet is removed from your .armory directory before you restore from paper backup. 
legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 09, 2013, 09:56:36 PM
legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 09, 2013, 07:51:27 PM
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
March 09, 2013, 03:52:17 PM
Hi,
I'm using bitcoin-Qt client with a datadir different from the system default; I've just installed Armory, It is connected but the block number count is stuck at the size of the blockchain in the system default Bitcoin-Qt data directory.
How cain I make Armory read from the updated blockchain?

You can start Armory using the "--satoshi-datadir=/path/to/it" when you start Armory.  If it's windows, just right-click the desktop icon for Armory and select properties, then add it to the end of the "Target:" line (with a space between the existing command and this one).

Thanks e^ip!!
Armory is very powerfull!!
legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 09, 2013, 01:08:35 PM
MY FAULT! I really had a typo I guess. Now it worked fine and I got a nice msg that the wallet is already imported Smiley Thx!

My fault, too:  that's not an unusual kind of user-error -- I should definitely catch that!  It's on my todo list for the next release!  Thanks!
Activity: 361
March 09, 2013, 01:04:23 PM
Bug report:
I just created my first paper wallet and tried to import it after printing it out on an offline machine (so I used the Armory Offline Client Wink). I clicked "Restore from paper wallet" and typed in all the letters, I checked it three times for mistakes. After I clicked the OK button it  happened nothing (Tried it with checked and unchecked "Encrypt wallet" checkbox.). I clicked one more time OK and the app gave me no feedback beside of the visual button click effect. Armory did not crash, I was able to click cancel and go back to the main window.

Can it be that this did not work because my wallet was already imported? If yes I would expect a msg like "This wallet is already imported". Then I would also know that the import has worked and would not have to remove the wallet first, import and encrypt it again to ensure the functioning of my paper wallet and the import function)

Armory version: 0.8.63

You should've gotten a message like you suggested.  I have billions of catches like that...

Can you go check the /home/username/.armory/armorylog.txt file on that computer and look for some useful information.  I know you can't send it to me from the offline computer, but the error message would be fine.  Usually when a button is supposed to do something, but doesn't do anything, there's usually errors kicking around under the hood.  

Here we go. This must it be:

2013-03-09 10:35 (ERROR) -- Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/armory/qtdialogs.py", line 3706, in verifyUserInput
    rawBin = easyType16_to_binary( str(self.lineEdits.text()).replace(' ','') )
  File "/usr/share/armory/qtdialogs.py", line 3872, in easyType16_to_binary
    return hex_to_binary(''.join([base16_to_hex_map[c] for c in b16str]))
  File "/usr/share/armory/armoryengine.py", line 897, in hex_to_binary
    return bout.decode('hex_codec')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/encodings/hex_codec.py", line 42, in hex_decode
    output = binascii.a2b_hex(input)
TypeError: Odd-length string

It looks like you are missing some characters in the typed field.  I guess I only catch errors in the typed letters, not missing letters.  I'll add a condition to catch that...

When you have typed enough letters, it should automatically respace the chars for you into blocks of 4 letters.  There's a total of 9 blocks on each line, so 36 letters.  If you don't have that.... let me know!

MY FAULT! I really had a typo I guess. Now it worked fine and I got a nice msg that the wallet is already imported Smiley Thx!
legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 09, 2013, 12:53:43 PM
Bug report:
I just created my first paper wallet and tried to import it after printing it out on an offline machine (so I used the Armory Offline Client Wink). I clicked "Restore from paper wallet" and typed in all the letters, I checked it three times for mistakes. After I clicked the OK button it  happened nothing (Tried it with checked and unchecked "Encrypt wallet" checkbox.). I clicked one more time OK and the app gave me no feedback beside of the visual button click effect. Armory did not crash, I was able to click cancel and go back to the main window.

Can it be that this did not work because my wallet was already imported? If yes I would expect a msg like "This wallet is already imported". Then I would also know that the import has worked and would not have to remove the wallet first, import and encrypt it again to ensure the functioning of my paper wallet and the import function)

You should've gotten a message like you suggested.  I have billions of catches like that...

Can you go check the /home/username/.armory/armorylog.txt file on that computer and look for some useful information.  I know you can't send it to me from the offline computer, but the error message would be fine.  Usually when a button is supposed to do something, but doesn't do anything, there's usually errors kicking around under the hood.  

It looks like you are missing some characters in the typed field.  I guess I only catch errors in the typed letters, not missing letters.  I'll add a condition to catch that...

When you have typed enough letters, it should automatically respace the chars for you into blocks of 4 letters.  There's a total of 9 blocks on each line, so 36 letters.  If you don't have that.... let me know!
Activity: 361
March 09, 2013, 12:50:54 PM
Bug report:

legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 09, 2013, 12:46:55 PM
Hi,
I'm using bitcoin-Qt client with a datadir different from the system default; I've just installed Armory, It is connected but the block number count is stuck at the size of the blockchain in the system default Bitcoin-Qt data directory.

You can start Armory using the "--satoshi-datadir=/path/to/it" when you start Armory.  If it's windows, just right-click the desktop icon for Armory and select properties, then add it to the end of the "Target:" line (with a space between the existing command and this one).
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
March 09, 2013, 12:31:54 PM
Hi,
legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 09, 2013, 10:07:55 AM
Bug report:

You should've gotten a message like you suggested.  I have billions of catches like that...

Can you go check the /home/username/.armory/armorylog.txt file on that computer and look for some useful information.  I know you can't send it to me from the offline computer, but the error message would be fine.  Usually when a button is supposed to do something, but doesn't do anything, there's usually errors kicking around under the hood. 
Jump to: