Pages:
Author

Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread - page 76. (Read 521766 times)

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
January 10, 2014, 07:41:26 PM

UPDATE: submitted a pull request to fix this: https://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory/pull/160

The change was simple enough I just updated it in my working branch.  It will appear in the next push of 0.91. 
Activity: 92
Merit: 10
January 10, 2014, 04:11:40 PM
Updates to 0.91-dev branch: (just pushed)

• armoryd.py updates -- a bunch of functions that broke in the update to 0.90 have been fixed.  Most importantly, "listtransactions" and "getledger" now work.  CircusPeanut is working on building a better test environment for it to improve the reliability.

the two parameters for listtransactions don't seem to have any effect on the output of the command - it outputs the same thing regardless.

UPDATE: submitted a pull request to fix this: https://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory/pull/160
Activity: 92
Merit: 10
January 09, 2014, 07:49:49 PM
I'd like to imitate `listsinceblock ` from bitcoind in armoryd which is similar to `listtransactions` except it only shows new transactions since the given blockhash. Any help/advice on how I might be able to get started with this?
legendary
Core Armory Developer
January 08, 2014, 08:54:43 PM
Armory already achieves the same security properties of BIP 38, just with a different algorithm.  If BIP 38 becomes a real standard, I'll be happy to implement, though I don't see any deficiencies in my current algorithm except for interoperability with other apps.  If everyone else is committed to BIP 38, I can be too.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
legendary
Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001
January 08, 2014, 06:13:03 AM
any plans to get BIP 38?

This.
Think it's important that bip38 infrastructure is increased since it's one of the safest ways to store paper wallets.

This sounds like the same thing:

what do you mean by "both are needed"?  what's the use of printing anything out if you're going to handwrite out the chain code and seed anyways?

The SecurePrint code is substantially smaller than the rest of the data that was printed.  I struggled with this a bit, because I needed the code to be long enough to be secure, but not so long that the user might as well just copy the rootkey & chaincode by hand anyway. 

So I struggled with this balance and settled for 8 bytes with super key-stretching.  So that's 64 bits, plus approximately 20 bits of stretching (since the stretching will slow down guessing by about a factor of 1,000,000.  Additionally, it requires 16 MB of RAM so it should be difficult for GPUs to parallelize it.  It's not as strong as I'd prefer, but it's infeasible for any system to brute force right now.  If you are ultra ultra-paranoid, you can just just copy everything by hand.  Just make sure to use the backup tester before you store it.

It isn't, by chance, BIP38 or compatible?

Ente
Activity: 665
Merit: 500
January 08, 2014, 04:33:41 AM
any plans to get BIP 38?

This.
Think it's important that bip38 infrastructure is increased since it's one of the safest ways to store paper wallets.
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
January 06, 2014, 11:52:46 PM
I couldnt find this one on git: http://pastebin.com/p2eHL6qU

Just happened to me after armory has been running for 2-3 days.

Do you have a lot of addresses in Armory?  This frequently occurs when Armory hits the 10-20 sec timeout during an operation... it happens most frequently when there is network burp, or you have 10k+ addresses and it's trying to update all of them after a new block comes in.  If it's an address problem, we'll have a fix for it soon ... the 0.91-dev branch already has updates that make Armory operate much better with 50k+ addresses, though there's still more work to do.

I have 3 addresses right now. I don't think this is a problem. Might it be that it happened when I accidentally pulled my network cable out.

Sherlock Holmes

Watson
legendary
January 06, 2014, 10:03:30 PM

Do you have a lot of addresses in Armory?  This frequently occurs when Armory hits the 10-20 sec timeout during an operation... it happens most frequently when there is network burp, or you have 10k+ addresses and it's trying to update all of them after a new block comes in.  If it's an address problem, we'll have a fix for it soon ... the 0.91-dev branch already has updates that make Armory operate much better with 50k+ addresses, though there's still more work to do.

I have 3 addresses right now. I don't think this is a problem. Might it be that it happened when I accidentally pulled my network cable out.

Sherlock Holmes
January 06, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
January 06, 2014, 08:10:55 PM
Hey etotheipi, i tried running 2 instances of Armory (both with it's own wallet folder aka separate "--datadir" arguments, but same "--satoshidir" argument) and it doesn't work. How hard is it to implement multiple instances? If easy will you do it?
legendary
Core Armory Developer
January 06, 2014, 05:59:45 PM

January 06, 2014, 01:38:03 PM

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
January 06, 2014, 12:28:54 AM
any plans to get BIP 38?
Activity: 622
January 05, 2014, 10:57:23 PM
interesting.  didn't know printers had a hard drive that could store a privkey.  always thought this problem was isolated to the printing drum.

Just the large office-copier type ones.  I remember a story where a police station sold their copier and the news station that bought it
downloaded tons of personal criminal information off the hard drive.

I'm sure it can be recovered from your local printer spool too.

Because of user demand, spooled data on newer models is often erased or scrammbled, but I wouldn't trust it with a private key.  The best bet, especially if you are storing a lot of wealth, is to get a cheap dedicated USB inkjet printer and only connect it when you are printing paper wallets... or use the secure print feature.
cp1
Activity: 616
Stop using branwallets
January 05, 2014, 05:21:27 PM
interesting.  didn't know printers had a hard drive that could store a privkey.  always thought this problem was isolated to the printing drum.

Just the large office-copier type ones.  I remember a story where a police station sold their copier and the news station that bought it
downloaded tons of personal criminal information off the hard drive.

I'm sure it can be recovered from your local printer spool too.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
January 05, 2014, 03:54:49 PM
what do you mean by "both are needed"?  what's the use of printing anything out if you're going to handwrite out the chain code and seed anyways?

The SecurePrint code is substantially smaller than the rest of the data that was printed.  I struggled with this a bit, because I needed the code to be long enough to be secure, but not so long that the user might as well just copy the rootkey & chaincode by hand anyway.  

So I struggled with this balance and settled for 8 bytes with super key-stretching.  So that's 64 bits, plus approximately 20 bits of stretching (since the stretching will slow down guessing by about a factor of 1,000,000.  Additionally, it requires 16 MB of RAM so it should be difficult for GPUs to parallelize it.  It's not as strong as I'd prefer, but it's infeasible for any system to brute force right now.  If you are ultra ultra-paranoid, you can just just copy everything by hand.  Just make sure to use the backup tester before you store it.

legendary
January 05, 2014, 03:50:46 PM
i've not run into that.  what is secure printing?

If you print on a modern printer with a hard drive, it will save a copy of everything you print that can later be stolen when the printer is sold.  So secure print gives you a code to hand write on the page you print out -- both are needed to unlock the wallet.

interesting.  didn't know printers had a hard drive that could store a privkey.  always thought this problem was isolated to the printing drum.

You only write a small code
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
January 05, 2014, 03:42:07 PM
i've not run into that.  what is secure printing?

If you print on a modern printer with a hard drive, it will save a copy of everything you print that can later be stolen when the printer is sold.  So secure print gives you a code to hand write on the page you print out -- both are needed to unlock the wallet.

interesting.  didn't know printers had a hard drive that could store a privkey.  always thought this problem was isolated to the printing drum.

legendary
January 05, 2014, 02:58:57 PM
Amazing. Does anyone know why my bitcoind stops answering after a few starts of armory?
Pages:
Jump to: