Pages:
Author

Topic: Armory on windows just does not sync - page 2. (Read 622 times)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0
February 07, 2018, 05:00:05 AM
In regards to my hardware, it is a fairly decent one. It is a dell precision T3500 workstation grade PC.
The only thing which is different, than in the most cases is tha fact, that my blockchaindata is on an external USB 2.0 drive.

In regards to my final goal - yes I will transfer BTC out of it as a first step.
But later I will get to a point, where I can get to he BCH etc. forks.

If I can do both with an external wallet like electrum in a safe way, this would be great.
In that case it is sufficient for me to get general idea and order of the steps to take.
I think I will be ablo to research the details myself.

As of the "real guys" :-) I am still waiting for them to find some time to have a look in the log files again.
They got me on track first, but then did not show up again - I hope I did not discourage anybody in some way.
Activity: 270
Merit: 36
February 06, 2018, 06:44:12 PM
Okay, so it might be possible that you are running up against a weird issue that happens for some on Win10. We could spend time going over that, but different fixes seem to work for different people - no single thing to nail down and it is yet more trial and error. Could be something else entirely.

Do you know which addresses in your wallet have bitcoins on them? Just a few addresses, or many? Any of them start with 3? Or do they all start with 1?
Depending on that, we can probably help you export keys into another wallet. If I've read it right, that'd fit your goal of getting the coins out of Armory and might be the easier option.
legendary
Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345
diamond-handed zealot
February 06, 2018, 05:43:51 PM
I'm sorry man, we are at the limit of my ability to help.  Hopefully one of the real guys comes by.

What kind of hardware are you running it on?
February 06, 2018, 09:52:24 AM
Please give me pointers what to do next. "Organizing Blockchain" forever. See my comment above.
Already killed armory once, and started it again. Again: "Organizing Blockchain" forever.
Bitcoin core runs continuously and is up to date.
February 05, 2018, 12:12:20 PM
The GUI got to a point "Organizing blockchain" and the spinner spins forewer (2 days probably), no progress is shown.

Please provide me with next steps to do you guru guys.

dbLog.txt: https://pastebin.com/bkUhL7Vc
armorylog.txt: https://pastebin.com/vzRBqCzF
legendary
diamond-handed zealot
February 02, 2018, 06:41:37 PM
I'm not at the level of interpreting logs yet, but the movement sounds promising!

I got my fingers crossed for you.
February 02, 2018, 04:19:44 PM
Thx for your hints.

I am sure Bitcoin Core is pathed correctly, because there is the correct path in the debug window.
Here the prove from Bitcoin Core log:

https://pastebin.com/0CL0HUGD

I did kill armory and armoryDB, deleted the database,
changed the shortcut to point to the correct blockchain directory: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\ArmoryQt.exe" --satoshi-datadir="F:\__BACKUP\_bitcoin_new".
Then started armory again.

And now something is moving :-) "Building Databases, 3%, 3 hours"

Will see tomorrow!

Here are is the armory log: https://pastebin.com/GRKPsnxK
Here is the ArmoryDB log: https://pastebin.com/7X2U0eKS
legendary
diamond-handed zealot
February 02, 2018, 12:29:32 PM
While it can be done in a config file, the way I do it is to right click on the Armory launch shortcut and select "properties"

edit the "Target" line with your custom path argument; example

"D:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\ArmoryQt.exe" --satoshi-datadir="E:\your path here" --datadir="D:\armory"

In this particular case, my Armory install is on the D: drive, yours may not be.

Replace "E:\your path here" with your Bitcoin Core data path (the folder with "blocks" and "chainstate" folders in it)

The --datadir arg is if you are using a nonstandard location for your Armory database.  This folder will have "databases" folder in it, wallet files, and "ArmorySettings" and log files in it.  Again, replace "D:\armory" in my example with your path.

When you think you have all the syntax right (check the spaces and such, we are talking command line here) be sure to click "Apply" in the bottom right of the shortcut properties dialog.

I hope this helps.

edit/

On rereading your last post, I wonder if you have properly pathed Bitcoin Core itself.  The procedure is very similar.  Edit the Core shortcuts target field.

https://bitzuma.com/posts/moving-the-bitcoin-core-data-directory/

"D:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe" -datadir=E:\your path here

Of course correcting for the drive letters where you actually have your installs.

As always, upon making such changes, close Armory, check for and kill armorydb in task manager and delete the armory\databases folder before restarting Armory on top of a fully synced and running Core node.

February 02, 2018, 04:43:58 AM
You'll need to shut Armory down and then delete your databases folder, then run Armory again, with that config option in place.

Nope, same result - no progress bars, 0% activity in process manager.

Just a reminder:

I have zero knowledge about the internals of armory - I am a regular user who transfered BTC some years ago into fresh installed armory wallet and forgot about it until recently. I did not use armory ever since.
My only goal is to be able to transfer BTC out of this wallet.

I am also using a non standard blockchain data location on a USB drive. I mentioned it multiple times.
Now I see that my non standard blockchain path is not beeing used at all, but the standard path instead.

See log file: https://pastebin.com/chKyYBBk

Please point me what setting (and how exactly) must be made in which config file to force the use of a custom blockchain path.
Using the GUI I mmade the correct setting, but now when "Let armory run bitcoined ..." is deactivated, my path setting is grayed out.
I was hoping it is stil beeing used but no.

Anyway - I do not understand why armory even bothers about the blockchain since it is supposed to talk to bitcoin core RPC server.

Stil - please threat me as a regular user noob user :-)
Activity: 525
Merit: 282
February 01, 2018, 02:54:18 PM
How am I supposed to know that? :-)

To be honest this was new to me as well.  It is a big project, I'm sure a more comprehensive manual is somewhere on the list.

I think it can be difficult sometimes, not just in this project but software development in general, for the devs who are highly trained and informed, and very engaged with the inner workings of the code, to step all the way back and see what users might not know or understand.

Just FYI, I was a bit confused too when I started working on a code upgrade elsewhere. I've started channeling the info I found into this PR. I'll update in a bit with some more info. Let me know if I missed anything.
February 01, 2018, 01:12:38 PM
You'll need to shut Armory down and then delete your databases folder, then run Armory again, with that config option in place.
February 01, 2018, 12:34:46 PM
No, this below gives the same result

Code:
db-type=DB_BARE

Thx
February 01, 2018, 12:11:20 PM
I did so in the Roaming/Armory directory.
I put the following into the first line:

--db-type=DB_BARE

Same result. GUI starts and does nothing after consistency check.
0% activity in proces manager
I think you'll just want this in the armordb.conf:
Code:
db-type=DB_BARE
February 01, 2018, 11:38:14 AM
Create a file name armorydb.conf in your Armory datadir, put the argument in there.

I did so in the Roaming/Armory directory.
I put the following into the first line:

--db-type=DB_BARE

Same result. GUI starts and does nothing after consistency check.
0% activity in proces manager
legendary
diamond-handed zealot
January 31, 2018, 03:43:30 PM

To be honest this was new to me as well.  It is a big project, I'm sure a more comprehensive manual is somewhere on the list.

I think it can be difficult sometimes, not just in this project but software development in general, for the devs who are highly trained and informed, and very engaged with the inner workings of the code, to step all the way back and see what users might not know or understand.
legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1345
Armory Developer
January 31, 2018, 11:19:24 AM
Create a file name armorydb.conf in your Armory datadir, put the argument in there.
January 31, 2018, 06:58:23 AM
OK, and where to put this setting then? Which "config files"?
Please provide me some more details on how to do the things you ask me to do - I am just like a robot now ;-)

e.g. I can not find any setting in the only config file I see (ArmorySettings.txt) which resembles "db-type".

Thx.
legendary
Armory Developer
January 30, 2018, 10:11:34 AM
Thx,

I deleted "Roaming/Armory/databases" and edited the shortcut to be this:

Shortcut->Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\ArmoryQt.exe" --db-type=DB_BARE

No difference, armory starts, checks wallets consistency and does nothing more, no activity in process manager.

That's a DB argument, not a GUI argument. Feed it to the DB. Use the config files.
January 30, 2018, 04:49:14 AM
Thx,

I deleted "Roaming/Armory/databases" and edited the shortcut to be this:

Shortcut->Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory\ArmoryQt.exe" --db-type=DB_BARE

No difference, armory starts, checks wallets consistency and does nothing more, no activity in process manager.

legendary
Armory Developer
January 29, 2018, 06:57:17 PM
Delete your db folder and run the DB with --db-type=DB_BARE
Pages:
Jump to: