Pages:
Author

Topic: Article Says that Whales Cannot Tank the Market - page 2. (Read 615 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 250
Whales have always been overrated but I would never underrate them as well, it is more than a reality that whales can really tank the market even today.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 655
"The bottom line? The role of whales in the Bitcoin market may be overstated. The top 32 whales control around 6% of the supply, but that figure drops to 4.6% when lost Bitcoins are taken into account.

first of all this is altcoin board not bitcoin. you should move this to an appropriate board.
secondly it has never been about how much of the supply you own. you may own a lot more than those percentages but still can't manipulate anything or you may own a lot less and manipulate a lot. it all depends on which market you are analyzing and since you posted this in altcoin board i give an example with altcoins.
there are altcoins with more than 100 billion supply but you can manipulate them with smaller than 1000 coins or a value equal to 0.1BTC or less. but in bitcoin market you wouldn't be able to do shit with 0.1BTC!
Activity: 1820
Merit: 566
Actually for me i don't think whales can manipulate the market of crypto because of the limit and we are the price here users,traders and investors still all are possible then we can't really see this and like FUD if you think another thing even they post negative about bitcoin still the price now is really high even we experience a lot of drops this year,Moreover look at the worth for you of crypto so don't think negative then spread positive so this will grow
Honestly, the cryptocurrency market is not about what ones think or presume but what ones experienced and I want to reassure you that the whales did manipulate the price of the market base on past record and last year price record to be precise which lead to the market correction of this year.
Meanwhile, I don't believe what the article says because most of the writers are either cryptocurrency admirer or hater and most of them only want to make their blog/article popular or cause FUD.
Activity: 854
Merit: 501
I think bitcoin has pass the point where it can be manipulated by whales. It has become a more mature market where the price is being formed by collective forces rather than individual ones. It will take much more coins than the number indicated in the article to move the price considerably by a couple of so called whales.
Even bitcoin can still be manipulated by whales and it has not really passed the point completely, but for now actually, it is still something that is gradually dying off as the market keeps maturing and many other players are beginning to step into the market, which is why whales are really making the altcoins a target at the moment.

In the long run, I believe bitcoin will most definitely pass that stage when we start seeing the market big and a lot matured than now, but by then, I believe we would have stepped into the level of mainstream adoption and real life use to be able to see that become reality.
Activity: 462
Merit: 100
6% or 4.6% is a large amount to change market movements (dump / pump)
Just imagine 6% of total bitcoin buying or selling will have a huge impact on the market, even though they cannot control the entire market, at least they get what they want.
for example now the price of bitcoin is stable at 6600 $ when they enter they can pump, maybe bitcoin easily returns to $ 20000 even though it won't last long, maybe only for 1 month or less.
Activity: 294
Merit: 10
"The bottom line? The role of whales in the Bitcoin market may be overstated. The top 32 whales control around 6% of the supply, but that figure drops to 4.6% when lost Bitcoins are taken into account."

http://fortune.com/2018/10/10/can-the-whales-of-bitcoin-tank-the-market/

It seems to me that banks have the main influence on the market, they just have a lot of wallets, which is difficult to determine who they belong to. Therefore, market manipulation is very difficult to predict, even if you follow the purses of whales.
Activity: 1204
Merit: 505
"The bottom line? The role of whales in the Bitcoin market may be overstated. The top 32 whales control around 6% of the supply, but that figure drops to 4.6% when lost Bitcoins are taken into account."

Maybe you are forgetting that the liquidity in exchanges is not big enough and it is enough to affect the price generally when a whale kicks in and drive the market hard with a huge amount of their stash. What you do not also understand is that the price you are basically seeing in the market right now is the integration and representation of the average of all the exchanges put together.

Whales are in the market, and they can always tank the market when it is highly speculative actually, and the only thing that would make that impossible in the long run is when it becomes less speculative and then we get to start seeing real life usage.
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

Yeah I don't think it is the whales that have the most influence I think the miners and the exchanges would have a lot of influence. 
Activity: 545
Colletrix - Bridging the Physical and Virtual Worl
Next time, the whales will begin to phase out the exchange rate on the cryptocurrency market, whereby the whole exchange rate of the cryptos will increase rapidly. I predict that in November the exchange rate of the whole market will rebound strongly back to the same time as the end of 2017.
It might be impossible to be like how it is last year, the decline of price is too high to reach what it reach last year. It tooks 3 to 4 months or more for the price to drop, the market may take more time. We just hope that it will increase as much as possible.
Activity: 552
Next time, the whales will begin to phase out the exchange rate on the cryptocurrency market, whereby the whole exchange rate of the cryptos will increase rapidly. I predict that in November the exchange rate of the whole market will rebound strongly back to the same time as the end of 2017.
Activity: 2884
Merit: 794
I am terrible at Fantasy Football!!!

The theory that the whales can manipulate the market as they want is very interesting but no one has ever shown proof that is the case, and like always when people lose money or make a mistake in the market they are going to try to find someone to blame, and the whales are the perfect scapegoat, because they are rich and you can blame them for all your problems instead of taking the blame yourself.
Activity: 2618
Merit: 550
It's a good thing that whales can't tank the market.  That means it's here to stay.  Too many small investors now.
Activity: 434
Merit: 103
i dont agree with you. they can light the fuse of a pump or dump in crypto market. even selling few hundreds of bitcoin in a very short time period can affect the market. because stop loses starts working, panic seller starts to sell etc.

Too right, it works like snow, even the smallest flake can start a huge avalanche. If you can influence other peoples actions you can control the price for a far smaller amount than if you were trying to do it all of your own accord.
Activity: 910
Merit: 255
i dont agree with you. they can light the fuse of a pump or dump in crypto market. even selling few hundreds of bitcoin in a very short time period can affect the market. because stop loses starts working, panic seller starts to sell etc.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277

The thing is though, they don't need to do it all by themselves. So long as anyone has enough influence to cause even a slight price drop, then lots of people will start to panic sell and the thing will snowball. It doesn't have to be the whales by themselves causing the whole thing, they just need to have enough of an effect to set it in motion and it will gather pace all by itself.
Activity: 966
wow..who have more than 12.000 BTC?its over when this guy sell all he have, anything could happen when those whales enter to the exchange and make bitcoin price to 100$ again
Activity: 518
the whale is always connected with the occurrence of a pump or dump, but is it only whales that can influence or control the market? remember, a fake news, or FUD alone can have an impact on the market. so keep believing in yourself and ignore if you don't agree with him.
Activity: 1484
Merit: 516
For me I don't think Whales alone are the one influencing the price, for me the prime suspect are the exchanges, alot of them gamble with investors money in the last bull run and are looking for ways to get their money back, another another school of thought says the institutional investors want to get into the market but at a fair price not 20K so they need to crash the market since they have the money 
I also thought that to think about manipulating prices on certain exchanges to get money,but it was unfair if the exchange was cornered in the average value of crypto shares.The most important news that reports a drop or rise can also affect but still a group of daily traders will dominate the market.
Activity: 476
https://saturn.black

Exchanges and large companies also have a significant impact. And this whole mechanism should come together and only then the market will change, but for now they are waiting for positive news, which in principle are not foreseen.
Activity: 672
Merit: 526
Maybe the article is correct, but I do not know if that should be the approach. The big problem when talking about whales that can dump BTC is because they can do at a time when the book has few orders.

Dump and Pump does not occur just because someone owns a lot of coins. Today a dump of 3k occurred that generated great uncertainties in the market. But if the market is liquid, and Blockstream's new sidechain is essential for that, it's becoming increasingly expensive to promote that panic.

But, something like selling in a volume like was MtGox would still be destructive. So it's good that this article brings to light that there are few wallets that can do something like this.
Pages:
Jump to: