Pages:
Author

Topic: As a crypto investor, the less app you install the better. - page 3. (Read 474 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 624
There is one thing I do lately in regards to my crypto wallet, both on my laptop and my mobile phone. My wallets are on my old device, so I wipe both the PC and mobile phone and turn them into my personal wallet gadget. It's only the wallet app that is installed on both devices.

I'm a gamer and graphic designer, and I know most of these online gaming apps and other apps I download on my phone for other uses are not safe, but I still need them in one way or another to help with whatever I want to use them for.

There are apps that we might really need for something, and we might want to get them by all means, but most of these apps are not open source and can be dangerous to anything relating to crypto. This is why I have to use a separate device for my daily life as an activist and also a separate device for my wallet.
Activity: 504
Merit: 283
• Don't use third party keyboards,
If anyone can, avoid anything that has third party to it. I feel that the security risks associated with them is very high. From the OP it is a kind of security measures put in place that blocks third party keyboards when it thinks that the individual is entering a very sensitive information.

The best advice you can get is to not keep more in your mobile wallet than you can afford to lose - because there is not only a risk of malware, but also of someone physically attacking you and forcing you to give them access to your wallet.
Yes, this is the best advice. This takes me to my point earlier. 3rd party apps on mobile devices are like family. They are filled with so many tracking software that the user is oblivious of. On the other hand, even if you use a desktop wallet, it is your responsibility to ensure that it is up to date with the anti-virus and firewall.

Activity: 672
Merit: 855
Most people don't reason what would be the gain of most mining app to the developer.  Most mining app aim is to gathe Most individual personal information (personal data) with all means mostly with the used of kyc. The only wallet have installed in my device for multiple coins are trust wallet and meta mask while for my BTC I'm just using electrum and bluewallet..

Most of this mining app are dangerous because a hack to their network reveals data of the users, that’s why you see many people receiving emails of even wallets that they do not have. As for your choice of wallets I will say the your bitcoin wallet choices are great but those trust wallet and meta Mask are not advisable because they are closed source, because with close source wallets you don’t know what exactly is happening behind close doors, you can go for open source wallets like unstoppable wallet.

HW is not the ultimate solution to all problems, because those who do not understand the risks are still at risk from threats such as clipboard malware or seed stealers that such devices are not immune to. Regardless of where you store your coins, I would not agree that we should download apps just like that, because we still run the risk of infecting our devices with various malicious programs that can cost us a lot.

This days with the away seed phrases are getting either compromised or people are accepting fake transactions due to phishing attacks on this Hardware wallets I will even advise the use of wallet on airgapped devices rather than hardware wallets but the problem is most newbies do not understand how to set this up so the best thing is for them to just stick to hardware wallets but it most certainly be an open source one such that any breach will be notice by experts.

It was not a sort of app collection that we needed to have them all but what we just needed it the useful one.
We can have them on the other phones but not a single phone for some security reasons.

Instead of having multiple mobile devices you can simply go for a cold storage wallet either airgapped device or an open source hardware wallet like passport. I think the amount of a new mobile phone is equivalent to getting any of this devices.
Activity: 2786
Merit: 343
when lambo...
One or two are good enough. Besides, it is useless to have 3 different wallets when we just use the two. I have Electrum on my PC and Trust Wallet and 1 exchange site on my phone, and I have no problem in regards to hacking incidents ( I hope it won't happen). If we believe that is all we need, then that is good already.

It was not a sort of app collection that we needed to have them all but what we just needed it the useful one.
We can have them on the other phones but not a single phone for some security reasons.
Activity: 658
Merit: 354
I stand with Ukraine!
A device, either desktop computer, laptop, smart phone or tablet, must be only used for storing your bitcoin or cryptocurrencies. Ideally it should be your practice but if you can not assign a specific device for this, you can use it with other tasks but always try to limit your application installation.

Because risk from downloading files, installations is big in practice.

Don't be too much curious and fall into malicious things.

An example is a senior Bitcoin developer, an ex-staff, Lukedashjr.

Bitcoin developer @lukedashjr's wallet was hacked.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 5630
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
As a crypto investor, you should invest in a good open source hardware wallet or keep your coins on an airgapped device. This way you don't have to worry about what you download on your mobile or desktop cause it's not linked to your holdings.
~snip~

HW is not the ultimate solution to all problems, because those who do not understand the risks are still at risk from threats such as clipboard malware or seed stealers that such devices are not immune to. Regardless of where you store your coins, I would not agree that we should download apps just like that, because we still run the risk of infecting our devices with various malicious programs that can cost us a lot.

The best advice you can get is to not keep more in your mobile wallet than you can afford to lose - because there is not only a risk of malware, but also of someone physically attacking you and forcing you to give them access to your wallet.
Activity: 966
Merit: 25
Ton Together | Save Smart & Win Big

This shows that all these apps are sensitive to everything we do on our smartphone, I will like to advice beginners to avoid non default keyboards, as they have the potential to collect every data on your phone, the sensitive ones and the less sensitive, even the words we type through them.

yes, absolutely! A non-default keyboard can get your typing recorded and pose a risk of scamming, which is called a keylogger. To be clear, according to Malewarebytes (click the  link), "keyloggers are a particularly insidious type of spyware that can record and steal consecutive keystrokes (and much more) that the user enters on a device. The term keylogger, or “keystroke logger,” is self-explanatory: software that logs what you type on your keyboard ".That's why you should just use the default ones, and the secure apps come from a legitimate source. 
legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 2169
Professional Community manager
As a crypto investor, you should invest in a good open source hardware wallet or keep your coins on an airgapped device. This way you don't have to worry about what you download on your mobile or desktop cause it's not linked to your holdings.

If you have to use a regular mobile device, you have to take necessary precautionary measures.
• Don't use third party keyboards,
• Don't use closed source wallets like trustwallet,
• Don't store passwords or seed phrases on the device,
• Don't click on unsolicited links.
Activity: 336
Merit: 76
Cashback 15%
Most people don't reason what would be the gain of most mining app to the developer.  Most mining app aim is to gathe Most individual personal information (personal data) with all means mostly with the used of kyc. The only wallet have installed in my device for multiple coins are trust wallet and meta mask while for my BTC I'm just using electrum and bluewallet.
That why before thinking of installing any app you should make proper research concerning that app. Because they are also Decentralized mining app but they are few.
Activity: 1400
Merit: 650
Always Act Smart and Play Safe With Your Funds
The only crypto wallet app I have stored in my Smartphone is Trustwallet and metamask, and other cryptocurrency exchange app, lately have stopped to install these mining app and any other cryptocurrency wallet for account security and security of my phone. Somes we get our phone stock with these app and we don't know when any hack would come especially when a particular airdrop ask to install app and claim their token from then i never pay heed to install more app in phone because i don't want my assets to be touched or hacked from my phone since we now have our money in our palm walking with it.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
This shows that all these apps are sensitive to everything we do on our smartphone, I will like to advice beginners to avoid non default keyboards, as they have the potential to collect every data on your phone, the sensitive ones and the less sensitive, even the words we type through them.
The best are wallets' virtual keyboards and the wallets that will only allow you to select the words for verification that you have backup the seed phrase.

There are many close source third party apps on applications stores. Using third party keyboard is not good at all. I do not know why people like it. I prefer the keyboard that my devices come with.

Not only apps but there are other things to avoid. I set my apps not to install file from third party and I do not download any file from any site. On the online device that I have my little of my coins, I only use it for wallet and exchange purposes and nothing more than that.

To be on the safest way, use cold wallet, multisig wallet or combine both. But also still be very careful of malware.
Activity: 2884
Merit: 620
I second it's the same for the desktop users that are into crypto. The risk is on those folks that are mostly getting into airdrops and joining those tests and requirements that they need to fulfill through downloading certain apps from those projects.

Before downloading, always verify the source of that app. Because if might look genuine and official but with a few jumbled characters on its name, you might not notice it quickly when you're not meticulous on it.

If you are not the type that downloads a lot of things, you have nothing to worry about.
Activity: 714
Merit: 296
Cashback 15%
The image below is mine, I took this screenshot because Unstoppable wallet, a open source crypto wallet is the only crypto wallet that I have on my phone that warned me about using a non default keyboard, and I have many other crypto wallets on my smartphone including metamask and trust wallet.

This is just a reminder for this new year, if you are just starting your crypto journey avoid doing this with your phone.

Avoid using a non-default keyboard, stick with the default keyboard

Avoid taking screenshot of your wallet seed phrase, somehow this can get to the hands of the wrong ones.

Avoid unlocking your phone bootloader, all OEM security is gone after the unlock, unless you know what you are doing.

My final advice for all smartphone users is that the less apps you install on your phone the better, the less likely you are exposed to data leaking apps or malicious app, and don't use any app store to install apps, directly find their official website, that should direct you to the right apps on stores or direct download.
Pages:
Jump to: