Pages:
Author

Topic: As a store owner who accepts bitcoins, anyone who wants can track my income - page 2. (Read 4204 times)

Activity: 330
Merit: 250
And also, you could do a transaction towards a forwarding adress that forwards again with not additional costs and problems and have everything sent to one wallet adress, if you wanted to.
People can still track his income if everything is forwarded to one wallet, unless he uses a mixer.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1295
DiceSites.com owner
I am sorry to say, but it not user friendly at all.
Keeping track of so many addresses can be a real pain especially if I am a successful shop with 10 - 100 transaction a day.
It seems that bitcoin is not suitable for large scale # of transactions.

A lot of businesses use BitPay: https://bitpay.com/ (an alternative would be https://walletbit.com/ ) Especially because most businesses cannot risk for the Bitcoin price to go down and potentially lose dollars ("volatility risk".) But BitPay would probably solve "your" problem too? Obviously there is a fee involved (0.99% I believe - which is at least smaller than 3-4% of PayPal/creditcard.)
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Keeping track of so many addresses can be a real pain especially if I am a successful shop with 10 - 100 transaction a day.

If you can store an email adress, you can store a payment adress. And also, you could do a transaction towards a forwarding adress that forwards again with not additional costs and problems and have everything sent to one wallet adress, if you wanted to.
Activity: 364
You could also have 1 adress for every new customer.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1022
No Maps for These Territories
How would you need to "keep track" of all the addresses? How do they give you more work? Addresses in bitcoin are very lightweight, and it's no problem to have thousands of them.
In retrospect calling them addresses was a bad idea, they should have been called "one time payment codes".
Activity: 35
Merit: 0

Activity: 94
Merit: 10
blockchain.info has an api that makes it easy to automatically generate new addresses.
Activity: 288
Merit: 251
I pre-generate 3000 addresses (+private keys of course, but they're not on the webserver) and backup those once.
In the webshop, for every new purchase a take an unused address from my pool. I can simply check that particular address to see if the payment has been made. Simple as pie.

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin addresses seem to work a lot like I.P addresses, yes, people can see what you're doing, but you can always take steps to mask that and like with I.P addresses because there are so many of them it would take a particularly determined person to find out what's going into your account. I'm pretty sure though as people have said there are methods to avoid people stalking a particular address to find out just how much you're getting. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future people started developing VPN style security specifically for Bitcoin addresses so people can't spy on you at all.

I find Bitshop particularly interesting because it stores the Bitcoins on a code and you can take it out like a seperate account from that code to your Bitcoin client so maybe you should look at something like that perhaps for your business, it is a concern, don't get me wrong, but like with I.P addresses I think people shouldn't be too worried just yet until we start hearing about courts using Bitcoin addresses as viable evidence or criminals actively stalking addresses that shift a lot of Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1001
Bitcoin - Resistance is futile
That's one of the reasons why the best practice is to generate a new address for every transaction.

Its easy to do and when you get used to it then it makes work even easier. No need to look for transactions in a wallet when you can simply check one address and tell if it has funds or not.

But you should be alert of the backups being done daily, and I don't know how much can it cost to transfer the small transactions to one address.
Activity: 546
Merit: 501
That's one of the reasons why the best practice is to generate a new address for every transaction.

Its easy to do and when you get used to it then it makes work even easier. No need to look for transactions in a wallet when you can simply check one address and tell if it has funds or not.
pc
Activity: 253
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
I decided to accept bitcoins in my online store only to realize that anyone who wants can type in my wallet address into the block explorer and see each and every transaction made to my address. This way, anyone can know hoe much money my business is making.  Today I obviously keep this data secret and never publish sales data...

Isn't that a HUGE reason for businesses not to accept bitcoins?
Pages:
Jump to: