Pages:
Author

Topic: Asian films old and new: recommendations, discussion and appreciation - page 5. (Read 3770 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
The first thing one must do is disabuse themselves of the idea that Asian cinema is solely the domain of samurais, kung fu masters and crime thrillers. With that said, where to start? Well, if you're a newbie, like Phinnaeus Gage, Kyle91, or faiza1990, and looking to expand your cinematic knowledge, a good place to start is modern Hong Kong cinema. And a good film to begin with is Wong Kar-Wai's Chungking Express: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjd7PFf_TFw

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
Hlynur was going to start this thread, but I'll just go ahead and get it going. Off the top of my head, I can think of the following important film movements:

- The Golden Age of Japanese Cinema (the 1950s)
- The Japanese New Wave (the 1960s)
- The Taiwan New Wave (the late 1980s to about 2000)

Also, of course, is the distinction between mainland China films, Hong Kong films, and Taiwan films. Older films and contemporary films from the entire region should be discussed.

And finally, for those who aren't well versed in these films, please view the thread, ask questions, and so on, as some of the most famous films ever made came from Asia. The Asian film canon is rich and diverse.
Pages:
Jump to: