Pages:
Author

Topic: ASIC botnet: The new threat? - page 3. (Read 4241 times)

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
November 18, 2012, 01:54:03 PM
The question is how? Most of these guys will be running Linux, and for those with Windows...you still need to download the virus and run it.
are you saying a Linux system is unhackable? WRONG!!!

im a big linux fan, but your statement is just plain WRONG!
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011
Reverse engineer from time to time
November 18, 2012, 01:38:06 PM
The question is how? Most of these guys will be running Linux, and for those with Windows...you still need to download the virus and run it. Modifying the kernel without a known and unpatched exploit is also impossible, thus elevating the process to Administrator or SYSTEM is pretty much impossible.

Using a driver may work on x86 Windows, but not for x64 as every Windows x64 machine requires every driver to be digitally signed. Even if you somehow succeed, are the people who invested 30k for 1TH/s rigt going to be that stupid as to not notice their mining was redirected and there was no mining on the pool(charts, e-mail notification;dunno about solo).
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
November 18, 2012, 01:15:14 PM

Currently, CPU botnets are pointless to mine bitcoin.

......I'm not sure if there's such a thing as GPU botnet...........

Will there be an ASIC botnet in the near future?.
so infect people that own mining ASICs? it seems like a bit impossible as we are so few. GPU botnet is much more possible, every computer have a GPU capable of mining now.
I'd say the large majority of computers don't have GPUs capable of mining, or at least mining much faster than a CPU anyway.
i think most computers newer then 2 years are capable of mining(maybe only a few mhash/s but still capable).
You can CPU mine at a few MH/s. Intel is by far the largest provider of desktop and notebook GPUs, and before Ivy Bridge this year you couldn't even mine on an Intel GPU.  The percentage of computers sold even now that could mine at 50MH/s or above is way below 50%, let alone as a percentage of the installed base. Especially since those people with a pair of XFire 7970s is more likely to notice them running hard mining BTC than Gramma Ethel who uses her 4 year old computer to check emails.
legendary
You are WRONG!
November 18, 2012, 12:51:37 PM

so infect people that own mining ASICs? it seems like a bit impossible as we are so few. GPU botnet is much more possible, every computer have a GPU capable of mining now.
I'd say the large majority of computers don't have GPUs capable of mining, or at least mining much faster than a CPU anyway.
i think most computers newer then 2 years are capable of mining(maybe only a few mhash/s but still capable).
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
November 18, 2012, 12:21:54 PM

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
November 18, 2012, 09:00:33 AM
This is in every miners responsibility to take care the mining rig is resilent.

However, the only threat i see is a hacked pc where the wallet is installed, but this has nothign todo with ASICS.

If youre interested to understand this things, take a webserver and install a botnet on it, you will see that the options are very limited to loading files and logging data.

What an attacker could do, logging the botnet for bitcoin related words and sent a real RAT to the victims pcs that eventually could contain a wallet.
In this case, the victim would do an extreme fail to store the passphrase on the same pc, otherwie there is not much chance to compromise the wallet.

Please consider the chances of finding a bot with a wallet where the wallet key is stored on the same pc, the time effort is immense.

I repeated it a dozen times, put your wallet on a linux pc with a virtualbox, you could even play with an additonal router as hardware firewall.

One thing that i find much more intersting is blockchain.info ability to get the ip of wallets with high load of coins or the list of 500 richest wallets, the time effort to penetrate such a server/pc with a pentest is probably much less than the above mentioned threat.
legendary
You are WRONG!
November 18, 2012, 08:51:29 AM
There are gpu botnets but guess there are more lucrative ways for botherders. I think there is no faster way for lossing bots than sprading a miner. Only a douchebag would not take action when the pc gets extremely slow.

To understand that ASICS are not infected i suggest you research virus spreading techniques.
it not the ACISs that are gonna be infected, its the devices that control them(computers, beagle boards, ...) and then turn the into a botnet.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
November 18, 2012, 08:43:27 AM
There are gpu botnets but guess there are more lucrative ways for botherders. I think there is no faster way for loosing bots than spreading a miner. Only a douchebag would not take action when the pc gets extremely slow.

To understand that ASICS are not infected i suggest you research virus spreading techniques.
legendary
You are WRONG!
November 18, 2012, 08:33:34 AM

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Another block in the wall
November 18, 2012, 08:11:09 AM

Pages:
Jump to: