Pages:
Author

Topic: Ask yourself again if your Private Keys and Life are safe or not. - page 2. (Read 316 times)

Activity: 49
Merit: 13
The incident that happened on the 9th of September 2023 in Maiduguri Nigeria caused me to think more deeply on human safety, that are we even safe at all in some cases, or if an uncertainty happened unexpectedly, are we preparing for a (plan B) to serves as rescue in case of natural disaster occurrence, with the ways on how we save our cryptocurrency private keys (seed phrase), i think its time that we begin to look into so many things we overlooked as before now.

Quickly, i will like to remind us concerning the experience in Bangladesh as flood destroy and displace many lives and properties over there https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2024/8/28/i-have-lost-everything-bangladesh-floods-strand-1-24m-families those affected in didn't planned or expect to see such happened, but they almost lost everything including their lives.

Recently in Nigeria, Alo Dam in Maiduguri also break out due to overflow as a result of heavy rainfall and some also said that this was as a result of other dams linking to the said Alo dam being released because of overflooding which they avoided and caused the break out of Alo Dam in Maiduguri Nigeria

What happened the other day in Maiduguri regarding the flood was a natural disaster which couldn't be controlled by anyone but could have been tamed by the government or at least reduced its effect on the people generally. In more developed countries, there used to be things like red alert or an alarm information the residents on the possibility of flooding and how they can reduce its effect at least by putting them in the knowledge of the possibility of such natural disaster.

Though, they are also not as perfect as we have seen instances, for example, in Dubai where the flood almost float away the whole city and people or the government could do little to rescue people and we witnessed how airplanes were flowing on the water.

This the effect of natural disasters which are barely controllable by any government, however, many governments try to prevent it by developing measures which can curtail it from occurring in the first instance or install alarm systems which will inform the public when such dangers are about the occur. In this case, if the alarm systems are in check and ringing, you want to quickly move your valuables into safe boxes and have them stored in a safe environment where water cannot touch or fire cannot engulf, including your private key or seed phrase.

Why not ask yourself this, if you're in Maiduguri or Bangladesh to experience flood like these.

What could have happened to your seed phrase backup material or location, mobile device and computers,  internet device and connectivity, not to talk of your own personal life and safety.

If I was a victim of this natural trajedy, I don't think my seed phrase will be tempered with because I've specially made provisions of not storing my private keys in one location. I have a resident and a hometown, both locations are places I visit on timely basis and I have my private keys stored in both locations for the sake of safety and precautionary measures to my assets.

If the flood had occurred in my hometown, in Borno for instance, I still have a backup in my residence in Abuja to fall back on. I have also protected the keys by digging hole in my bedroom to store it in a plastic. I don't think the flood will get to the level of digging it out and should in case it does, I can always replace it with what I have in my residence.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
9th September 2024 We express our sincere condolences to the areas where the Maiduguri dam broke and the areas were flooded and the lives of the people were affected due to the heavy rains. In fact, nature is very cruel and no one can know when it will happen according to the rules of nature. We heard through the news that after the Maiduguri dam broke, there is a zoo called Sanda Kyarimi, about 80 percent of the zoo's animals died due to the flood. It might be more heartbreaking.

OP you recently came to discuss the flood situation in Bangladesh I saw a topic on the reputation board of this forum about this flood situation.Basically there was a discussion about a manager of this forum and the situation around him.There are some mentioned news links that it is known that there is a sudden flood in their country and people there or some districts there are unimaginably flooded. That unimaginable flood affected a reputed manager of this forum and his family which made him unable to access this forum for a few days.

What could have happened to your seed phrase backup material or location, mobile device and computers,  internet device and connectivity, not to talk of your own personal life and safety.
In fact, if the severity of natural disasters is so high where we live, then we should think about our own lives and the safety of our lives. Where when many people are in crisis due to the brutality of natural disasters, he may not be able to think about anything else when his main goal is to save his own life.
Activity: 812
Merit: 560
I got your various opinions and expressions towards this as well as how we felt and reacted, but in life, we should always be reminded that there is no an excuse for doing what is wrong even when we are unaware of the circumstance attached to it, that is why information is key, if am born and breed up in a place doesn't means i must spend my entire life living there, there is freedom of migrating from one place to another for settlement, also, for some of us that are quite aware that we have something valuable to lose if the natural should happen, then i expect us to have research about any environment before making a decision for staying there permanently.
Activity: 168
Merit: 138
cout << "Bitcoin";
Firstly, I really feel sad for those that lost so much to the recent flooding in Maiduguri. According to the same Al Jazeera, it was reported that Maiduguri is seeing it's worst flooding in the last 30years. Incidents like this are not planned for, i.e majority of the citizens in this country don't create backup plans for natural disasters, as they are only focused on surviving. I think similar flooding also happened in few states sometime last year/early this year (if I'm not mistaken), and it was as a result of a dam that was opened in another country.

Truth is, the flooding situation didn't occur in a single day, but it started gradually before covering large areas. I pray it doesn't happen to me, because the troubles/stress that comes with relocating in times like that is is very unhealthy.

What could have happened to your seed phrase backup material or location, mobile device and computers,  internet device and connectivity, not to talk of your own personal life and safety.

My safety and personal life should come first ahead of every other thing. I will definitely find a way to make my seed phrase backup material water proof, maybe by laminating it. But before the who flooding issue escalates to the point that it starts covering the roof of buildings, then I might want to make use of my holdings, by moving/relocating far from areas that are highly vulnerable to such disasters.
Activity: 1288
Merit: 305
yes

Knowing the geographic and weather conditions of where you live or where you intend to relocate is critical for the safety of your life and property. Those who live in flooded areas understand what comes with it, and many of them experience global warming early. Exchanges are not a good way to safeguard coins, but residents who live in areas like these prefer to leave their coins on exchanges because it is safer than maintaining a physical seed phrase that could be destroyed by flooding.

Situations like this are why third-world countries are always the victims of exchange hacks, as many of us regard exchanges as a better save site than offline storage; I'm not suggesting it's better, but it aids in protecting coins for those living in those locations.
Activity: 476
Merit: 385
Baba God Noni
It has been said over and over again in this forum that your seed phrase back up should be stored in three different location far from each other. Just like the flood at Maiduiguri , it didn't affect Lagos or River state which means that it is only your seed phrase in Maiduguri that will be lost and you can get your other backups to access your wallet.

The reason behind this is that, natural disaster cannot happen in all the stats in a country at the same time, otherwise all most all the citizens would be affected. As for the internet, it would be fixed later and that shouldn't be a problem. The first thing anyone that finds himself in such disaster should do is to rescue himself and his phone first before any other thing because the rest would be taken care of if you have your seed phrase backed up in different location.
Activity: 434
Merit: 227
God is All
I think it has become necessary we keep tab of our private keys and other sensitive information because the rate at which things are changing is a source of concern. Imagine how many people have been displaced by the flood in Bornu state who are not even thinking about their Bitcoin but how to remain alive. We should be able to periodically review how we store our Bitcoin and the private keys to check if we can easily get them in a situation of emergency like natural disaster. Those of us living in Southern Nigeria are constantly facing flooding that most of the times displaces us from our homes. Even though one use hardware wallet, flood can destroy it and that is something to worry about. A review of the storage medium should therefore be a continuous process like I do and if emergency happen today, I can easily get all my key valuables and run away.
Well natural disasters na something person no fit avoid so the best anyone fit do na really just to mantain and manage the situation because everyone no matter how you keep your private credentials and key if these disaster wan destroy them e go still happen so na for everyone to just dey vigilant and follow up with these crisis in a way the effect no go too much. I believe one year when flood come, I think 2022 people no really expect the water to big sef and before you know the matter don escalate to the extent way as you enter house come outside everywhere don flood up and if you no prepare na so many things go spoil for you.
Activity: 518
Merit: 509
I think it has become necessary we keep tab of our private keys and other sensitive information because the rate at which things are changing is a source of concern. Imagine how many people have been displaced by the flood in Bornu state who are not even thinking about their Bitcoin but how to remain alive. We should be able to periodically review how we store our Bitcoin and the private keys to check if we can easily get them in a situation of emergency like natural disaster. Those of us living in Southern Nigeria are constantly facing flooding that most of the times displaces us from our homes. Even though one use hardware wallet, flood can destroy it and that is something to worry about. A review of the storage medium should therefore be a continuous process like I do and if emergency happen today, I can easily get all my key valuables and run away.
Activity: 406
Merit: 303
The great city of God 🔥
The essence for creating this thread is for us to ask ourself again on how prepared we are for the worst to happened, also, its time that we begin to review on the kind of environment that we live in, ensuring not to be riverine area or close to dam, because the latter rains are falling heavily and causing flooding in so many countries now.
Although wettin you talk na true, this issue of flooding caused by overflowing of dam na serious issues wey government sorpos don settle, but as the case may be the reality be say government no fit do everything for us when it comes to live saving matter. Normal natural disaster dey happen everywhere all over the world 9ja no dey experience anything compared to some countries wey dey expirenced earthquake, tsunami, volcanic eruption, land slide and somany other ones unmentioned.

The solution to wettin you dey talk for my own idea be say if person get money to pack comot for that place wey dey Close to dam, make the person do am isap to a far place where before the flood go come close you go don get information to arrange yourself.

Den if person no get the money to pack comot the other option I get na to install flood detection device to give you signal when water level don pass be careful. I do some research come discover This isocket sensor , E go help to detect when the environment water level don rise den E go send you message to your phone email alarming you to stay alert. I no no how much E go cost but you fit do some research about am. Another life saving tool I for shear with you na survival pod. This one you fit enter inside lock yourself when emergency water don surround you but E too dey expensive. So any strategy person fit do secure him life make E do because life no get duplicate.

What could have happened to your seed phrase backup material or location, mobile device and computers,  internet device and connectivity, not to talk of your own personal life and safety.
Na person life dey important pass all those things you dey mention, person sorpos get a safe lock with water resistant wey even if water touch am E no go spoil anything. Person wey dey stay close to dam sorpos dey extra careful.
Activity: 308
Merit: 203
The essence for creating this thread is for us to ask ourself again on how prepared we are for the worst to happened, also, its time that we begin to review on the kind of environment that we live in, ensuring not to be riverine area or close to dam, because the latter rains are falling heavily and causing flooding in so many countries now.
when it comes to the environment some of us reside in, it's not in our making that we stay in certain places at certain time when disaster breaks out. Like for those leaving in those environment where the dam is located, some of them were born and brought up in that environment, some came in through NYSC (at least I know some of my guys that are around those places) and some just happen to visit thier due to general hustling movement in search of greener pasture. You can't tell when disaster will hit an environment and untill it happens, you might never believe that flood from the damn can sweep such an environment off and destroy lives, properties and assets. It happens just like the way normal road accident occured or building collapse takes place or any other form of accident. You can't be careful or better prepared enough. Some persons where brought up in riverine area while others are brought up in deserts. It's just that it's best to take care of our environment so we're better protected from these kind of occurrences.
Why not ask yourself this, if you're in Maiduguri or Bangladesh to experience flood like these.

one thing you have to know is that regardless of the safety precaution you take, it's 100% possible that you might lose your seed phrase and all the funds you have if it's certain to happen. There are basic things you can do to protect your seed phrase and it's best to do it but the truth is that no method of securing it is 100% certain that in the event of an unplanned natural occurrences like this, things might not go wrong.

If you're in an environment where natural disaster like that happens, what should be your first priority should be your life and then you can think of your asset.
Activity: 812
Merit: 560
The incident that happened on the 9th of September 2023 in Maiduguri Nigeria caused me to think more deeply on human safety, that are we even safe at all in some cases, or if an uncertainty happened unexpectedly, are we preparing for a (plan B) to serves as rescue in case of natural disaster occurrence, with the ways on how we save our cryptocurrency private keys (seed phrase), i think its time that we begin to look into so many things we overlooked as before now.

Quickly, i will like to remind us concerning the experience in Bangladesh as flood destroy and displace many lives and properties over there https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2024/8/28/i-have-lost-everything-bangladesh-floods-strand-1-24m-families those affected in didn't planned or expect to see such happened, but they almost lost everything including their lives.

Recently in Nigeria, Alo Dam in Maiduguri also break out due to overflow as a result of heavy rainfall and some also said that this was as a result of other dams linking to the said Alo dam being released because of overflooding which they avoided and caused the break out of Alo Dam in Maiduguri Nigeria

On 9 September 2024, the dam collapsed following heavy rains, resulting in floods that inundated up to 15% of Maiduguri and killed more than 80% of animals in the Sanda Kyarimi Park Zoo.[5] At least 30 people were reported killed due to flooding in the area https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alau_Dam#:~:text=On%209%20September%202024%2C%20the,to%20flooding%20in%20the%20area.

Pages:
Jump to: